Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used it before and had residue but not these lumps. It didn't smell infected, so hopefully it will be ok.

Just got back from holidays to a brew I left going... It has been in for bout 11 days... It looks like my chest freezer has stopped working ans it has been sitting at bout 23 deg and looks like this with bit floating at the top... Could this be because of higher temps? Also I lifted the fermenter up and can't remember if the air lock was in or not :/

20150102_164848.jpg

Looks like yeast. Temps haven't gone out of control so I'd be confident it was fine. Taste it to be sure and check FG is steady over a couple of days.
I've drawn countless airlock water into FV's over the years and never had a problem.

Edit: not much of a krausen ring though. What yeast was it?

Wtf is that.is it just krausen formed together and not sunk yet? Dennys 1450 yeast.i split the yeast starter into 2 different brews the other doesnt look like that ??? I tasted it yesterday from a sample b4 I knew it was fine but very green

Edit
I hope it just yeast I just dumped 75gms of dry hops Into and most of just sank

manticle said:
Looks yeasty.

Draw off a sample and smell/taste.
Your a wild man manticle, taste really :)
I had hoped someone would say it looked yeasty which has calmed me down .I will taste another sample b4 I cold crash it just to make sure it is going okay , it was just quite an unusual sight for me.
Im not sure I want to risk an infection opening it back up also.i figure if it is bad it bad no matter what so ill leave and find out in a couple of weeks

dave81 said:
Wtf is that.is it just krausen formed together and not sunk yet?
Very likely yeast. Has it been sitting for a while?

We just saw something very similar for a Pilsner I put in the fermenter late Nov at 13 degrees. I pulled off a keg's worth early Dec after the primary ferment had finished (it wasnt there then). Then left the remaining 50 litres to relax over Christmas.

Opened it up last Tues and saw a few big chunks like this. My guess is due to the long time in the fermenter most of the yeast fell to the bottom and while resting there formed a nice solid cake (thanks gravity). With maybe a little bit of residual fermentation some CO2 dislodged it up and a big solid chunk went to the top of the fermenter.

My fellow brewer freaked out when we saw it. On a taste test all was good. I recall seeing something similar once before for a long ferment.

phoenixdigital said:
Very likely yeast. Has it been sitting for a while?

We just saw something very similar for a Pilsner I put in the fermenter late Nov at 13 degrees. I pulled off a keg's worth early Dec after the primary ferment had finished (it wasnt there then). Then left the remaining 50 litres to relax over Christmas.

Opened it up last Tues and saw a few big chunks like this. My guess is due to the long time in the fermenter most of the yeast fell to the bottom and while resting there formed a nice solid cake (thanks gravity). With maybe a little bit of residual fermentation some CO2 dislodged it up and a big solid chunk went to the top of the fermenter.

My fellow brewer freaked out when we saw it. On a taste test all was good. I recall seeing something similar once before for a long ferment.
It been there for 13 days it did bubble for quite a long time though (like 10 days) so maybe as your saying dislidged a chunk and sent it to the top

Looks like the yeast cake has started floating. Probably very flocculent (ie sticks together) and ended up with co2 forcing it to float

I am trying a dark ale for 1st time. After 48hrs room where fermenter is smells sour.
Beer looks ok but also smells sour
Leave it, or
Do i Chuck it ?
Thanks

Another sour question.

I under pitched 2 25l batches.

Batch 1: 10g rehydrated us05, pitch gravity 1.053, after 15 days or so is at 1.012.

Batch 2:!

Farking phone fingers!

Batch 2 same yeast dry, pitched 1.062, after 12 days or so is at 1.011.

Both gravities steady (finished and expected fg)

Both look ok

Batch 1:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423217004.565555.jpg

Batch 2:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423217060.901043.jpg

Batch 1 is fairly sour, batch 2 not so much but is also. Not sure if my head is farking with my taste a bit, but they both taste a bit 'unexpected'.

Is this potential infection, or potential taste effect from the pitch?

What do you think?

Have just turned the fridge to crash them to maybe see it through. I've never had this taste but still a bit new

Probably not the right thread but:

Recently, I had a 3l erlenmeyer of left over ESB wort in the fermenting fridge to use for a starter and forgot about it (or ignored it to be frank). A few weeks later it started to spontaneously ferment (whilst using WY1469 in the fermenting fridge) and figured I'd let it finish. It'd had the original foil cap and a layer of gladwrap with a laccy band holding it on but still fired up. Krausen was thick and top heavy like 1469. Ended up putting the flask in the fridge for a week and dared a taste tonight. I reckon it's cleaner than the original ESB ferment and full of toffee goodness! Yeast is a wonderful thing. That is all.

As this is only brew 4 for me I have not seen anything floating on top after fermenting. I kegged it today and tastes fine. I just wanted some 'reassurance.

1423813102075.jpg

Hey All,
This isnt really the right place to post my question as I dont have a photo. Besides, my beer doesnt look infected anyway.

Q. How early can you detect an infection?

Background: Brewed Friday, chilled, but didnt get to pitching temp until saturday. Sealed up fermenter, purged headspace with CO2. On saturday morning, wort was at 12°, so waited for it to warm up. I had to pitch at 14° as I was going out. I figured pitching cooler was better than hotter. Oxygenated as usual.
Sunday I tasted my wort when it had started fermenting. Visible blowoff action. It was back at 19°. I wanted to taste it as I had used homegrown hops in the whirlpool. It has a cider smell and taste. Ergh. Worried.

I have never bothered tasting fermenting wort that early. AND F-it - I forgot to taste and smell my yeast starter, for the first time ever - Bloody Murphy! So, if it is an infection, I dont know where it came from yet.

Still - is a cider(ish) taste possible early on in the ferment? Anyone taste test this early? Ferment was probably only 6-12 hours in. I'm hoping its normal this early. I havent had an infection for years, probably 15 years or more I reckon, so my sanitation is good from my point of view. The starter was a new vial of Cali V started as per my normal routine.

Thanks.

Is this an infection?
Only bottled the night before this pic taken. Just this one bottle with this mark on the side. Poured the beer and it tasted ok, got the bit of grey stuff out. Kinda dark grey slimy rubbery
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424651004.042511.jpg

Hard to see but yeah most probably, hopefully its just that bottle.

Latest posts

Back