Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do deliberate infections count? This is my Berliner Weisse after 3 weeks in the fermenter, with a combination of White Labs 677 Lacto Delbrueckii and a handful or two of pilsner grain in the starter for good luck...smells great, but not tasting sour enough yet!

IMG_20141117_173527.jpg

Oud+Bruin+Pellicle.jpg

My infection has progressed into something that looks very much like this. Note: This is not an actual photo of my beer but looks very nearly exactly the same. Am I looking at Brettanomyces here?

It's on a saison and only appeared at the end of the fermentation - should I be worried?

Is this an infection or just yeast.the beer taste fine.this after being cc'd

Edit I didnt realise but as I was kegging it , it all dissappear (into my keg I imagine) but the mote I looked at it it could have been From the krausen (us05 yeast)

Dave, looks like yeast to me but the taste test is best.

In my last brew, I had these white colonies that looked like paint chips. There was no unusual odour or taste. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Never seen it before...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416848581.299618.jpg

Looks like the start of the infection I just had which I am guessing (note that this is just a guess) is a Brett or Lacto bacterial infection. Both of which are common will sour your beer. If it's finished fermenting, you can try bottling it now and checking it in 2- 3 weeks.

This will teach us to be more vigilant in our sanitation, no?

Thanks for the reply. I bottled it last night and couldn't taste any sourness but I'll see how it turns. My first infection after about a year of brewing, must be getting sloppy

Hi guys. Just seeing how you think this looks? It's a Pilsner that I put on yesterday. I'm not familiar with how brewing looks although I know fermentation often looks quite strange. This brew is bubbling quite furiously in my coopers diy fermenter and smells very strong but not off.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1417401738.238922.jpg

Dave2233 said:
Hi guys. Just seeing how you think this looks? It's a Pilsner that I put on yesterday. I'm not familiar with how brewing looks although I know fermentation often looks quite strange. This brew is bubbling quite furiously in my coopers diy fermenter and smells very strong but not off.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1417401738.238922.jpg
Looks normal to me Dave.

ticknerj said:
Thanks for the reply. I bottled it last night and couldn't taste any sourness but I'll see how it turns. My first infection after about a year of brewing, must be getting sloppy
Be very vigilant with carbonation. If it is infected, it will likely continue chewing through and bottle bomb your ass. If it tastes bad infected once carbed, ditch all bottles. If it tastes good infected once carbed, fridge all bottles, check regularly and ditch if carbonation starts to get OTT.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Be very vigilant with carbonation. If it is infected, it will likely continue chewing through and bottle bomb your ass. If it tastes bad infected once carbed, ditch all bottles. If it tastes good infected once carbed, fridge all bottles, check regularly and ditch if carbonation starts to get OTT.
Thanks man. Tasting tomorrow so will see how it's travelling

Dave2233 said:
Thanks for the reassurance mate. I know I'm a worry wart wort with this stuff but I spose it's better to be safe than sorry
FTFY. Don't worry, the terminology will ingrain itself with time and hopfully you'll be bitter off mashing words with their decoctions.

Looks fine as mentioned. What temp and yeast you using with that bad boy?

Camo6 said:
FTFY. Don't worry, the terminology will ingrain itself with time and hopfully you'll be bitter off mashing words with their decoctions.

Looks fine as mentioned. What temp and yeast you using with that bad boy?
Haha can't wait!

I'm keeping it at 22c throughout the whole period, just by sitting the vat in an esky with some water and ice bottles. Even in 40 degree heat I can keep it at 22.

And the yeast is just the stuff that came in the Morgan's Pilsner kit. I do want to try using better yeast eventually but while I'm still new to this I want to get a few brews down before I start doing my own thing.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Obviously an infection. Blue/grey greeen fluff on top. It was a cheap batch made for my mum, made from 1 tin of coopers ginger beer kit, about 100g of grated ginger, a kilo of ldme and 500g of raw sugar. All boiled up then topped up to around 21L with tap water. Fermented down to 1.006 and then chilled to 2 deg for a week and a bit. Went to bottle tonight and saw this through the glad wrap. Tastes fine, but im unsure as to how far the infection has spread throughout the batch. If its gonna make some bottle bombs i reckon i'll ditch it. I'll be leaving the batch up at our family shack and will be unattended for extended periods of time (keeping below 5 degrees constantly isn't an option). Any thoughts as to if i should keep it?

lid.jpg

20141219_211358.jpg20141219_211408.jpgNot sure if this is an infection...

Just opened my fermenter to bottle and there are some chunks floating on top of it.

I thought that I was pretty vigilant with everything... boiled my starter in conical flask to sterilise everything, sanitised all of my gear with starsan.

Smells good, so it's making me think maybe it is just some floating gunk. Fermented with Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale.

The brown floaters are normal, just your yeast at work but the white flecks look a bit suss....

Has it finished fermenting yet? You could try racking off to a secondary (leaving the top layer behind) or just bottle it now. If it tastes good then I wouldn't be throwing it...

Finished fermenting and bottled... I'll leave it for a few weeks then give it a taste. I think that it is ok.

Ive never used west yorkshire yeast before so im talking out my ass realy but dosnt it leave a bit of crud on the top?

Back