Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure what I've got here. Noticed it after about ten days in primary and four or five at 1 degree. Here's the photo while I'm racking out of the bottom.

Photo%2012-05-13%2014%2019%2041.jpg

Couldn't smell/taste anything funny at the time.

Don't usually have such floaties after crash cooling. Yeast was 1272. Actually it's the first time I've used 1272 over 1056.

kahlerisms said:
Not quite sure what I've got here. Noticed it after about ten days in primary and four or five at 1 degree. Here's the photo while I'm racking out of the bottom.

Photo%2012-05-13%2014%2019%2041.jpg

Couldn't smell/taste anything funny at the time.

Don't usually have such floaties after crash cooling. Yeast was 1272. Actually it's the first time I've used 1272 over 1056.
I think it's fine, I am fairly sure that I have seen it and had no ill effects.

So got this funky stuff sitting at the top of one of my bottles. Looks bad right? But it tastes fine, quite nice actually. The brew was choc choc stout, plenty of coco, chocolate, oats and lactose, could that be the problem?

image.jpg

It could be secondary fermentation in the bottle if there was a lot of fermentable sugars left - is it highly carbonated?

It looks like some sort of infection though. If it tastes fine - no problems with continuing to drink it though.

kahlerisms - I've had that recently too. A couple months in the bottle and it's fine, no wukkas.

lmccrone - Crack it open, you know you want to. If it's smooth and creamy it's either fat or yeast, have a taste.

lmccrone said:
So got this funky stuff sitting at the top of one of my bottles. Looks bad right? But it tastes fine, quite nice actually. The brew was choc choc stout, plenty of coco, chocolate, oats and lactose, could that be the problem?
probably cocoa fat, if you've added chocolate and cocoa powder they do contain a lot of fat, approx. 31g fat in 100g cocoa

That's my racking cane autosiphon thingo.

Turned out the beer was fine. I did another batch at the same time with the same recipe except used whole cones the whole way through where as this one was pellets and the pellets one was better. The whole cone one had a weird bitterness that seemed concentrated in the head/foam.

So yeah, you guys were right, nothing to worry about.

Well Ive had about 6 bottles of my choc choc stout now and there is no off flavors at all. So given the thickness of the film on the surface of the bottle I am going to declare it to be fat from the chocolate, otherwise I would definitely taste the problem.

This was my first(hopefully only) infection. Discovered it on day 10(ish)and decided to bottle on day 14, is quiet the tasty pale ale. Am using the fermenter for the first time since, replacing taps, hoses etc. which is putting me a little on edge, haha. Everything seems fine so far..

image.jpg

And this is it now. Reserved a few litres for a laugh, added some cherries and vanilla. Smells a lot like acetone and aged cheddar...

image.jpg

Looks really tasty Jono. The thought of acetone and aged cheddar together sounds quite unpleasant but hold onto that sucker and let us know what happens in the long run :)

Haha, will keep everyone updated..

Edak said:
Looks really tasty Jono. The thought of acetone and aged cheddar together sounds quite unpleasant but hold onto that sucker and let us know what happens in the long run :)

Yep, another one. Yet another member who is paranoid that half a days work resulted in sweet bugger all.

Here 'tis:

Brown Ale.jpg

It's a Brown Ale. It has been like this for about 10 days now. I was worried about the white bits being the start of a mould growth, but has not grown in that time.

Despite what it looks like in the photo, nothing has Bubbled up on the surface. It is all flat on the surface.

Your thoughts Gentlemen, please.

Those things that look like raised bubbles are actually a white substance, which then has a circle of matter around it. It is still in Primary, so I am surprised that a) it grew under a blanket of CO2, and b) that it hasn't continued to grow.

Oooh, I can play this game! Do you think this is infected:

P9G5TEz.jpg

But the inside looked alright so I bottled it:

n5Ngx1Z.jpg

But unfortunately it was infected. Tasted of Diacetyl - I thought it was too much bitter toasted malts (black IPA) but it was actually a more metallic taste.

It was, so I had hopes that the infection was only from when I spilled some wort on the fermenter when transferring... but unfortunately it got through.

What do you think about this, any ideas what it would be? I can't taste anything bad in the beer but this stuff only seems to be on the top. It only noticed it today, it has been 2-3 weeks cold conditioning (as I couldn't be bothered moving it off the yeast cake into a keg, normally I only leave it 2-3 days then keg) at -4C on the fridge but the beer was probably closer to 1-2C

Edit: I have kegged this (most the white crap just floated and stuck to the sides of the fermenter as I emptied it). I will filter and carbonate tomorrow and have another taste test.

WP_20130628_001.jpg

Latest posts

Back