Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you didnt tip wax in there did you? :blink:

looks 'orrible.. hows it taste from the bottom? you may need to invite a few friends around this weekend and demolish it if it aint too bad already

I second what Yob said. If it tastes alright smash it down ASAP as it will get worse with time.

I'd have a couple of schooners and see how you go for a headache in the morning. I had a couple of brews go a similar way and while they tasted alright the hangover was all the persuasion I needed to get my shit together, sanitation wise.

Cheers. Is it common for this to happen if you leave it cold conditioning on the yeast cake for ages even at the cold temps? It is the second time this has happened and both times I left it cold conditioning for weeks (coincidence or not), first time was years back when I didn't have a fermenting fridge. It was my second batch using the hops I ordered from you too Yob :lol: I'm guessing those weren't to blame :p

It did taste alright from the bottom, I couldn't detect any off flavors. See how she goes down tomorrow then

Nuh, not two in a row. Second time ever, years apart. I have pulled the fermenter apart including the tap and I will see how the next batch goes. I'm pretty good with the sanitizing and cleaning, basically just wondering if longer cold conditioning on the yeast may of contributed to it.

Not usually, people making lagers would be screwed... How long are we talking about cold conditioning for? Shouldn't really be an issue though…

Had a taste this morning after filtering and force carbing and it isn't bad, undecided if I should throw it out. Might leave it a week or two and see if it gets better or worse.

Rack it, carb it, drink it, the longer you leave it the worse it will get mate. Nuke the FV like a mo fo with everything you have... Twice

Bry-97 took a day to fire, then only had a krausen for 1 day. May have been a dud pack? This must have snuck in. I haven't had a taste yet but it doesn't look promising.

image.jpg

Doesn't look too bad to me mate, looks like yeasty bubbles.

Liam_snorkel said:
Bry-97 took a day to fire, then only had a krausen for 1 day. May have been a dud pack? This must have snuck in. I haven't had a taste yet but it doesn't look promising.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago with Bry-97. I left it a few days as it tasted ok but after a few days, sour city. First time I have tried that yeast. Have one more pack to see how it goes. Otherwise back to old faithful... US-05.

I've used bry-97 a number of times and haven't had an issue until now. Weird.

Liam_snorkel said:

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

tiprya said:
Doesn't look too bad to me mate, looks like yeasty bubbles.

Looks like tiprya was right - tastes fine. I'm an idiot. Every time my yeast does something different I jump to conclusions (but fortunately don't act upon them).

I was just surprised that the krausen appeared & disappeared within 48hrs of pitching. But I shouldn't have been. It was a mild. Wham bam thank you ma'am.
the slimy bubbles disappeared a day later..

Liam_s' , I have been weirded out a few times with BRY-97. After so many US-05 clockwork ferments it's easy to expect the same response.

I run it at 17 degrees and I expect slow starts and a greasy krausen with a significant amount of krud stuck to the side of the fermenter at the "water" level.

I think I've done 4 or 5 so I'm no expert but that has been my experience.

So, I did a yeast starter yesterday for some nearly 2 year (two!) year old Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager. I popped the bags nearly two weeks ago and was about to throw them out when the swelled up.

In any case, this morning when I went to have a look, it looked like in the photo. I haven't made anything with that yeast strain before so I'm not sure. It looks a little bit like some of the photos on here with infections in them... It's been sitting in the laundry over night which drops to below 10C.

I shook it and the blobs dissolved, so I'm guessing it's just yeast. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

infection.jpg

Anyone experienced pepper flavours from yeast? I used a washed S-23 in an American Lager and it has thrown a pepper flavour, I don't have a picture because all appears fine. The flavour was not discernible until after the d-rest. I have had a similar thing happen with a lager yeast as only noticeable as the fermentation came to a close and dried out.

Liam_snorkel said:
Looks like tiprya was right - tastes fine. I'm an idiot. Every time my yeast does something different I jump to conclusions (but fortunately don't act upon them).

I was just surprised that the krausen appeared & disappeared within 48hrs of pitching. But I shouldn't have been. It was a mild. Wham bam thank you ma'am.
the slimy bubbles disappeared a day later..
How did the Mild turn out Liam? I need to do another.

Back