Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your nose and tongue will serve you better when it comes to infections, doesn't look like there are any issues yet!!

sweet! Thanks all! What is the brown goop likely to be?

I put down 20l of berlinerweiss in January. Sometime in March I racked into a 5l and a 15l demi. I decided to add some fresh cracked grain to the 5l batch to hopefully increase the sourness.

The other day I noticed some white stuff in the high krausen mark caused by the newly pitched grain. I opened her up and gave the neck a wipedown with a livwipe. A week later I notice this:

berl1.JPG

berl2.jpg

Aceteo or just lacto defending its territory after I opened it up?

I was planning on using this 5l batch as a bottle test batch to compare adding yeast or not, and adding more grain, to the bottle in the next couple days...

Another one from me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfxw9CQjjs

Don't know why I shot this in portrait, but anyway... I brewed this mead in late December and racked it into this demijon on early Feb after primary finished. This is one of four demis and the only one showing this symptom.

You can see a large, gelatinous glob across the whole top. When I slightly move it, the glob starts to break up, but then yoyos back into place. I hope it's just yeast? Any ideas?

Mr. No-Tip said:
Another one from me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfxw9CQjjs

Don't know why I shot this in portrait, but anyway... I brewed this mead in late December and racked it into this demijon on early Feb after primary finished. This is one of four demis and the only one showing this symptom.

You can see a large, gelatinous glob across the whole top. When I slightly move it, the glob starts to break up, but then yoyos back into place. I hope it's just yeast? Any ideas?
The fact that only one of the four demis shows the symptom sounds suspicious to me.

How does it taste?
I have a show mead with a similar cloudy layer on the surface that drops when i move it. Don't have the krausen though.
Mine also tastes fine.
Taste it if its funky cut your losses if it tastes fine it probably is.

Also what is the gravity reading?

Not sure if this is an infection, but sure looks strange. Like big marble (or larger) sized clumps of something floating on the top. Could be yeast? I don't know, I've never seen this before.

I had a taste, and it doesn't taste too bad. A strange after taste but I can't describe it. It's only 9 days old so would still taste a little strange anyway probably.

Any ideas?

2013-05-03 18.28.48.jpg

Edak said:
The fact that only one of the four demis shows the symptom sounds suspicious to me.
That's what I was thinking...

goldenchild said:
How does it taste?
I have a show mead with a similar cloudy layer on the surface that drops when i move it. Don't have the krausen though.
Mine also tastes fine.
Taste it if its funky cut your losses if it tastes fine it probably is.

Also what is the gravity reading?
Considering the small batch and lack of tap, I've not been tempted to taste or gravity read. It was 1.008 from 1.079 when I racked it into this demi.

An opportunity came up today to throw 5l of mead into a still and try to make a mead spirit - maybe this is the contender!

Anyone? I may be worrying about nothing here, but has any one seen this before (my previous post above)? I'm hoping it's just clumps of yeast but not sure, they're pretty huge. Like big ice bergs floating on the surface.

FG is 1.010 after about ten days, so other than that, all seems normal.

wbosher said:
Anyone? I may be worrying about nothing here, but has any one seen this before (my previous post above)? I'm hoping it's just clumps of yeast but not sure, they're pretty huge. Like big ice bergs floating on the surface.

FG is 1.010 after about ten days, so other than that, all seems normal.
What yeast did you use?

Not sure if it's possible it a top cropper, maybe they clumped, you would think they would drop though.......

Sure a child didn't put ice cream in there

US-05. No definately not ice cream or any foreign object. :lol: I've never seen anything like it before. I'm going to cc soon so will be intersted to see what happens.

For all you folks, see if you can get Proxitane, some pool places stock it, and chemical stockists.
It's peroxy acetic acid, 1ml to 1 ltr dilution, do a group buy. Fantastic stuff, lasts for ages and you wont get another infection :beerbang:

Hawko777 said:
For all you folks, see if you can get Proxitane, some pool places stock it, and chemical stockists.
It's peroxy acetic acid, 1ml to 1 ltr dilution, do a group buy. Fantastic stuff, lasts for ages and you wont get another infection :beerbang:
have used this stuff in a commercial brewery would not recommend it at the home brew level.
way to easy to do some serious damage to yourself.

Just bottled my beer, didn't taste too flash. Also, instead of the trub looking creamy, it looked like wet lumpy particle board. Not sure if that's a sign of anything, just looked very different to how it normally looks. I can't smell, so could tell anything that way.

Anyway, I'll see how it tastes in a couple of weeks, but it's not looking promising. :(

Back