Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camo1234 said:
Looks like left over yeast to me with CO2 still being produced or still in the liquid..... If it tastes good I would bottle away and enjoy!

Camo
That's what I was hoping - any reason to hurry, or will this weekend be fine, all things being equal?

Shouldn't be a problem leaving it until the weekend, do you have it sealed up, and the temperature under control?

Impossible to say 100% from the photo Phil but it looks fine and normal from where i am sitting.

carniebrew said:
do you have it sealed up, and the temperature under control?
Well, the lid is on though its a coopers fermenter, it's at the mercy of my garage's ambient temperatures though.

Cheers Manticle, fingers crossed - a mate tells me if it tastes & smells ok, it should be Ok, so ill go with that!

I'm currently drinking an AG Wheat Beer about 3 weeks old. I remember it being very tasty on bottling day, still good a week later and now after three weeks I'm noticing what I think is a strong butterscotch flavour, I have researched and put it down to diacetyl. I'm noticing some bottles are carrying the flavour stronger then others.

Tonight I opened up a largie and it gushed all over the place.

First thoughts I have a developing infection in my bottles causing the diacetyl and gusher???

Could cause be infection through the little bottler or tap perhaps? (Looking for explanation of why I didn't get the infection during fermentation?)

Second thoughts is the diacetyl is fading with age and I just got a bad bottle??? But diacetyl doesn't develop in the bottle does it??

(Bottled after complete fermentation so that can be ruled out).

Constructive thoughts?

*ed: realised this thread is more photo related, please don't crucify me. still seeking thoughts.

Phil Mud said:
Hi guys, a saison I'm brewing is currently looking like this. It's done fermenting and I was planning on bottling on the weekend - is this an infection? Is it rooted? Should I bottle anyway? It still tastes good, so perhaps its just sitting on the surface so far. I can also rack it to another fermenter & leave the last few litres (including the surface of course) in the primary.

Mate if i were you I'd nuke that shit. Yeast or bacteria it appears to be forming letters and even a small map of Australia. Play it safe and BURN IT.

Actually, the white bacteria looking things seem to have dissipated somewhat, hopefully was just yeast & has possibly dropped to the bottom. The Map of Aus bubbles are nothing to worry about - I think it's gonna be ok.

Edit: on second thoughts I think it's spelling out "EXTERMINATE"

KingKong said:
I'm currently drinking an AG Wheat Beer about 3 weeks old. I remember it being very tasty on bottling day, still good a week later and now after three weeks I'm noticing what I think is a strong butterscotch flavour, I have researched and put it down to diacetyl. I'm noticing some bottles are carrying the flavour stronger then others.

Tonight I opened up a largie and it gushed all over the place.

First thoughts I have a developing infection in my bottles causing the diacetyl and gusher???

Could cause be infection through the little bottler or tap perhaps? (Looking for explanation of why I didn't get the infection during fermentation?)

Second thoughts is the diacetyl is fading with age and I just got a bad bottle??? But diacetyl doesn't develop in the bottle does it??

(Bottled after complete fermentation so that can be ruled out).

Constructive thoughts?

*ed: realised this thread is more photo related, please don't crucify me. still seeking thoughts.
Anyone?

Can't comment on the diacetyl, got no experience there, not that I know of anyway. The gusher(s) could be a bottle infection most likely caused by poor sanitation, or overcarbing of that bottle. If the infection was in the tap or bottler you would probably have more than just one or two gushers on your hands.

wbosher said:
Can't comment on the diacetyl, got no experience there, not that I know of anyway. The gusher(s) could be a bottle infection most likely caused by poor sanitation, or overcarbing of that bottle. If the infection was in the tap or bottler you would probably have more than just one or two gushers on your hands.
So far just the one gusher out of about 6 long necks. .. drinking another bottle tonight and I'm leaning towards more of a green apple type flavor ... wish I had some thing to compare to so I knew exactly what the fault was and could remedy it.

any thoughts on this? not a terrible taste, but the beer is cold. im hopeing to use it on another batch brewing right now haha.
IMAG0312.jpg

Hard too see but the white bits are in the krausen and walls on the fv (from draining)

carniebrew said:
Looks pretty normal to me....
If your normal is infected then yes.

I've been having a spate of infections lately and this infection is the culprit.
Hasn't been affecting the taste too much when caught early. Although within a few days can be pretty rank.

The white powdery Krausin and flakes of skin on the beer and fermenter walls are not normal!

best not to use if you are suspicious of it mate, Id take a jar of trub, just in case.. but pour off a jar and let it warm so you can get a good smell and taste?

I've gone the trusty backup US05 from the fridge and dumped the slurry. I've cleared the headspace of the keg but wont waste the gas carbing it for a week or two. I kept a bottle of the beer to assess how its going over the next few days.

This is the second time I've had this infection, 7 batches apart so something is definitely wrong here. It could be a shite coincidence or something causing it. Does anybody know what infection it is? How it is caused ect?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Update:
Between the two infections, no alot is similar. One was no chilled, other plate chilled. I got new fermenters after the first infection.

After poking around a bit I think it may be a Lacto or Aceto infection. My friend just described the flavour as bruised apple and tangy.

Acasta said:
After poking around a bit I think it may be a Lacto or Aceto infection. My friend just described the flavour as bruised apple and tangy.
I have been thinking lacto also but no real way to know for sure.

A few reasons being
-like you said tangy taste kinda like 'off juice' (i think this comes from when the hops prevent the sourness from the lacto kicking in),
-It is only getting into my lighter beers (lacto struggles to take with higher alc content)
-and the fact I brewed a few berliner weiss batches sometime around when the infections started (even though i did use seperate plastics).

If i was you i would ditch the fermentor and any other plastic that has touched the beer. Small price to pay when you consider the cost of a batch or multiple in my case.
Ive tried nuking everything with bleach and pbw and still manage to have it surviving somewhere so have replaced all my plastics.

I'm so following this thread...though not the best to read through while having breakfast :icon_vomit:

Infection? I haven't seen this brown scummy stuff on top of the krausen before. Still tastes good, so far. Two days into ferment.

Any comments /thoughts?

IMG_20130414_170200.jpg

IMG_20130414_170222.jpg

Back