Immersion Heaters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got mine today Cheers..

Anyone know if you can use these for heat up a mash or will it scorch the grains?

I haven't tried it in the grains I think it would scorch them . Remember it is 2500 W of power .

1. Manticle x 1 payment received Sent
2. Maple x 2 Payment received Sent
3. Siborg x 1 Payment received Sent
4. Mxd x 1 Payment received Sent
5. Roller997 x 2 Payment received Sent
6. WarmBeer x 1 Payment received Sent
7. Rooting Kings x 2 Payment received Sent
8. RamuGupta x 6 Payment received Sent
9. Ratchie x 1
10. Dans6401 x 1 Payment received sent
11. Mintsauce x1 Payment received Sent
12. Haysie x 1 Payment received Sent
13. jpr x 1 Payment received sent
14. PocketBeers X 1 Payment received sent
15. Minikeg x 1
16. Ekul x 1 Payment received sent
17.Potof4x x 1 Payment received sent
18.Ledgenko x 2
19. Steve Preece x 2 Payment received sent
20. CDJ x 1 Payment received sent
21. Kieren x 1 Payment Received sent
22. Davo4772 x 1

Thanks Beer Belly - used them yesterday for my brew. Great little units. :icon_cheers:

got mine today Cheers..

Anyone know if you can use these for heat up a mash or will it scorch the grains?

As a matter of fact, yesterday when I brewed I missed my mash temp by a couple so I plunged one in and kept it moving through the grains until I hit it. All seemed to be OK as I hit all my gravity targets and there was no indication of any burnt or scorched grain when I emptied the MT or any burnt or off smells.

Ramu

Do you still have any of these available?

How much to get one delivered to Kenmore, Q 4069?

I can DD today :)

Thanks Beer Belly - used them yesterday for my brew. Great little units. :icon_cheers:

As a matter of fact, yesterday when I brewed I missed my mash temp by a couple so I plunged one in and kept it moving through the grains until I hit it. All seemed to be OK as I hit all my gravity targets and there was no indication of any burnt or scorched grain when I emptied the MT or any burnt or off smells.

Ramu
I've done this before with a similar unit that had a handle... how did you go moving one of these around without any sort of handle? I might give this a go next time I'm under temp for my mash in.

I've done this before with a similar unit that had a handle... how did you go moving one of these around without any sort of handle? I might give this a go next time I'm under temp for my mash in.
I'm wondering the same thing.

Was going to attach it to a wooden or plastic handle (the more insulating the better in my opinion) and just screw through the plastic housing, but I don't want to pierce the plastic seal at all.

Maybe some sort of wire housing might allow me to attach a handle, but wouldn't want to induce a short circuit.

I just held it by the 'triangular' shaped 'head' thingy and pushed it through as deep as possible. Couple of times my fingers got into the mash but otherwise they stayed out. Seemed to work well enough.

So I only heated as deep as the heater 'head' thingy allowed.

If you wanted something to stir the mash, these babies are not the go! For another 20-40 bucks you can buy over the side elements. Having said that, a constant stirring element with 240v is something I have done, and wont do again.
Some people are so bloody stupid

Do you still have any of these available?

How much to get one delivered to Kenmore, Q 4069?

I can DD today :)

Hi Parks ;
Yeah still got some left . Express Post $8.55 , Regular Post $6.00 for one , for two the PO wants $10.30 for regular as it is a 3kg bag for the units weigh 301gm each .

Cheers
Mike

9. Ratchie x 1
15. Minikeg x 1
18.Ledgenko x 2
22. Davo4772 x 1
23. WSC x 2 Payment received

Stupid question alert:

How do I earth my HLT so it isn't live? Aluminium pot full of water, brass tap and thread = bbbzzzzzztttttt

Stupid question alert:

How do I earth my HLT so it isn't live? Aluminium pot full of water, brass tap and thread = bbbzzzzzztttttt
Run a cable from a part of the HLT to a plumbed pipe?

Should this be necessary? I asked beer belly if I was doing something wrong - he's of the opinion the unit is faulty and is happy to replace it.

I actually missed my mash temp by quite a bit on the weekend and resorted to stirring the mash with this - worked really well, perhaps someone can let us know why it would not be a good idea. I too just held by the plastic and within minutes the 40 litre mash was back up to correct temps (we purposely overshot the top layer by 2 degrees then mixed and got pretty much spot on - from 60 start point, was a very cold day)

I plan to try mounting to a stirring rod or something so I can do all the way if/when required.

I think the concern is that the element isn't mounted in the plastic housing to take into account the force of stiring a thick sludge like your mash. If the element works loose, water/mash/wort gets in and goes zap. Probably better off (if you need to) sticking in the element and stiring the mash with a rod/paddle rather than fixing the element on a stiring rod or similar. Or you could just hit your srtike temp :p

I've been using an immersion element to heat my HLT for over 3 years and have often thought how difficult things would be without it. This looks like a great opportunity to get a spare at a really good price.

9. Ratchie x 1
15. Minikeg x 1
18.Ledgenko x 2
22. Davo4772 x 1
23. WSC x 2 Payment received
24. Jim Botla x 1

Should this be necessary? I asked beer belly if I was doing something wrong - he's of the opinion the unit is faulty and is happy to replace it.

I had the same problem with the one I tested on the weekend...and I'm too bloody scared to test the other one as I'm still nervous just touching my stand...even without one of these things hooked up. can I earth it safely or should I chuck it in the bin?

Stupid question alert:

This hurts...had tingly fingers for the rest of the day. I was lucky only brush against the stand.

Im sorry but feel obliged . I think there is a real safety issue with these devices.

if these units arent earthed then your all fkn crazy for using them. submerging units not designed to be submerged in liquid (regardless of whether they are coming from china) is just insane. I also have severe difficulty beleiving its food grade plastic. why would it be? no electrical element is designed to have the junction submerged in liquid, so why would they make the plastic food grade?

if you blokes want to submerge plastic into hot wort, and that plastic has live current going through it your nuts. how lethalcorpse hasnt blow his stack on this i dont know. esp you blokes that dont have modern mains boards and no RCDs. 2400w @ 10amp can kill you. hell just 0.1amp with AC can stop your heart.

most of you would be better off buying a stainless steel element thats 20cm long so the electrical junction goes no where near your wort. you can buy them on ebay for $50.

now if your happy with them. great. I dont begrudge beerbelly for having a business. but i do worry about someone getting hurt with these. Happy to stand corrected by a sparky. in fact id prefer to be corrected rather than be correct.

edit: my message is just be careful.

My oldman the sparky, believes over time the rubber handle will go hard and crack.

Back