I wonder who?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was these guys

225876-d0a3548e-d66e-11e4-915f-fd70bc6357a8.jpg

How pitiful is that. Quite disgusting really.
Not your post Stu, the parasite business owner that has just shattered these poor guys dreams.
It's lower than pond scum, seriously, what a dirt bag.

Faark. Glad I'm not in the boat of having sunk my life savings into a new brewery setup.

I guess the margins just not there for Aussie market yet. This guy had a dream of what he wanted to achieve, I for one am a little saddened that he couldn't make a go of it.

I also found business sense a bit lacking in my dealings with this guy. Although the quality of what I bought off him was top notch.

My 2c

thanks for the post yob, I hope they get together and work something out

I think it's pretty shit this article. How exactly are Crafty Pint warning anyone, without naming names?

With such a vague post they're casting a shadow of doubt on many reputable businesses.

Whilst it's obvious to work out who it is for us, it might not be so obvious for your average Joe Public out there who's considering getting into brewing.

the flow on effect,is bigger than we think,all the suppliers of other bit's and pieces,and places this company supply's

A quick search of ASIC doesn't show any sign of going into administration, surprised how many names were operating on the same ABN, coffee, pharmaceuticals, distilling, food and dairy nothing about brewing unless it came under the distilling criteria.
As someone suggested in the Crafty Pint posts it would have been cheaper for the purchasers to go direct to China and cutting out the middleman.

The Crafty Pint is in a tough position on this - if they name and shame, they could get into a heap of trouble legally - not worth it.

The larger media organisations have a budget to pay for that sort of action, but a web blog wouldn't, and the author would probably be liable.

Indeed, if one of the commenters here was off base they could be up for defamation. It's a risky game.

I think in this case the story mentioned the business in question has taken down it's website and social media accounts, so it's unlikely people will confuse it with another company.

The warning is really for people looking for these types of services to do their research on potential suppliers.

Spiesy said:
I think it's pretty shit this article. How exactly are Crafty Pint warning anyone, without naming names?

With such a vague post they're casting a shadow of doubt on many reputable businesses.

Whilst it's obvious to work out who it is for us, it might not be so obvious for your average Joe Public out there who's considering getting into brewing.
Because to call them out by name would likely cause legal issues while the business still exists - that in turn could cause them to dig in deeper with no hope in hell of the victims getting any of the wrongs righted. There's enough info in the article to act as a warning to punters chasing a dream and putting family homes on the line.

HBHB said:
Because to call them out by name would likely cause legal issues while the business still exists - that in turn could cause them to dig in deeper with no hope in hell of the victims getting any of the wrongs righted. There's enough info in the article to act as a warning to punters chasing a dream and putting family homes on the line.
Okay. So is there a need to even publish the article, or leave it up? Their site is down, apparently, there's no more business to be done, from what I can see.

Yes it should be left up, and it should be reported.. Any retailer with an ounce of honesty has nothing to fear, but the public / prospective commercial start-up breweries should use it as a prompt to be more careful before parting with the folding stuff.

Hell, do it yourself and have a trip to China, some good friends and fellow club members did just this. Spec was rigorously monitored etc

Anyway, I digress. Name and shame. We aren't constrained by the legalities that ham strung the blog.

You've got to think that he'd planned to bail with the cash the minute he pulled put of the homebrew market and went after bigger clientele. He was struggling to maintain the business before that sudden change and renowned for not responding to customers and making outrageous excuses. To top if off, looks like the whole online business was run on top of WordPress, which was really designed for personal blogs. I hope he's prosecuted for fraud.

Remember watching the guy talk at the Queensland homebrew conference a few years ago. That was a painful experience in itself...

A lot depends on which name the purchase invoice is made out in, one is a business name only registered as a partnership, if it is this name, they, (the partners) can't hide behind a proprietary ltd and liquidate, they are liable for the money owed to the prospective buyers and can only go into bankruptcy.
On the other hand if the purchase invoices are made out in the company name they have two options, option number 1 liquidate the company, or option number 2 if they have a debenture mortgage from the bank (always advisable with a company) use that to carry on trading and try and get out of trouble and keep the sheriff at bay.

As for the purchasers there is no room for sympathy if they have been taken for a ride, as there are honest people to deal with there are just as many dishonest people to deal with, and it is so easy for the latter to take your money and get away with it, as has been stated above, check out thoroughly who you are buying from before parting with any cash.
The only solution I can see is for those who have been taken, is to go to China make the purchase there and that may cut their losses to zilch or maybe even come out in front, except for those who put down ridiculously high deposits.

zappa said:
Remember watching the guy talk at the Queensland homebrew conference a few years ago. That was a painful experience in itself...

Yep it sure was.

I find it terribly sad that you can't speak openly about someone that has clearly ripped you off.
Finding yourself in court or getting sued for letting people know what has happened to you should not be looked upon as illegal & so long as you have the facts to back you up, invoices, emails etc, why the hell can't you let prospective buyers in on what is clearly a bad business to deal with.
It's like the business owner saying, I'm suing you for deformation of character because I'm a really nice bloke, who just happened to take your money & run.
The law seems to always protect the guilty for some unknown reason & maybe someday, you won't even be allowed to leave feedback on ebay purchases anymore.
How the hell do you know what your getting yourself into if you don't have access to that information. Stupid arse country we live in.

Latest posts

Back