Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:unsure: ......... :blink: ............... :lol: ............awesome!!!!! ROFL. i'm not even going to read the start of the thread, just going to leave it here while i keep laughing :lol:

I was trying to work 'froth' into that comment at the time, but it just sounded too obscene.

You're in that special club now of two, that has actually brought quoted reference to my smutty little double-entendre. It probably doesn't mean that you're switched onto the nuances, (after all, it was pretty obvious) but it may get you a finger-waving from above, in that you're feeding trolls by acknowledging such filth.

Seems to be a regular theme of late.

Filth, that is.

Now that we have that out off the way, back to topic. I often find that when I plonk my hard-as-glass rod down into the tube of sweet, sweet nectar (and observing the gravity of the situation), give it a bit of a spin, a few jiggles up and down to test for good placement, that if you are not focused on the task, you might end up with some unexpected fluid spill.

EDIT: Bum was in between, so I'm quoting the impetus for this rant

While I agree in principle with your post, Steve was probably just answering it in the context in which the question was asked rather than the context of the entire thread. I think he also fairly pointed out why a brewer might want to take an OG even though he doesn't himself.

Why am I defending Steve? Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

Yea, and I'm only responding to Steve's critical comment on the use of the word 'stupid' as a personal insult (which it wasn't). If Steve, or anyne else, chooses to omit the OG reading, then that's fine. I think I read BribieG (maybe, sorry of mot, mate) saying that he checks neither OG or SG, but just knows the recipe, and how long it's 'typically' going to take to ferment out, and bottled them repeatedly without issue, and a drinkable beer at the end of it. No need for 'spot on' measures when a proven brew always hits the right targets in the tastebud stakes.

Why am I defending Nick JD all of a sudden ?

Ah, I guess I took his comment about stupidity in his context - someone who knows how to brew but isn't too concerned about the other stuff, rather than a learning noob.

Apologies either way.

been away from the pc and just catching up. I dont always take out my trusty hydrometer either. Then again, I nearly always brew the same recipe. As soon as I make a change or brew a different recipe I measure and note everything.
On a recipe I brew often, I dont worry too much if the ferment hasn't quite finished because I keg and they are a little more forgiving however my case swap brew because it was being bottled got measured every which way to ensure everything was OK and the ferment was truely finished before bottling because I didnt want to risk anything unexpected.

I also beleive that if someone is starting out that it's best to learn things the right way straight up rather than finding they have to unlearn bad or risky behaviors.

just my 2c

edit pebkac :rolleyes:

Interesting ebb and flow to this discussion...

Consider this scenario: "My [k&k or whatever for that matter] brew isn't bubbling though the airlock, hasn't since day 1. Its now day 3 and I think the yeast is dead, should I pitch a fresh yeast? The LHBS guy says I should, he sold me some O-69." The one of the usual responses is, "What was the OG? And what's the SG now?" etc. So, how does one know, definitively, if their yeast has in fact started correctly and is not a dud? By falling SG. How do you know if you have falling SG? By comparing subsequent measurements to the OG. Enuff said...

There are many reasons why even a k&ker would be wanting an OG. Perhaps I've missed the point in a few comments in this thread, but here's another, and the reason I will generally get one. I'm surprised this hasn't got a run by now, else I did miss the point badly, in which case I'll just quietly retreat back to my box...

Typical! Don't tell us which way! Keeping the secrets of your black arts to yourself as per!

It depends on which one of Saturn's moons is in line with the fermenter :D

Start the yeast before you pour it in.

How does one start the yeast, is there a button that one is required to push? or are you referring to re-hydrating yeast prior to pitching, or perhaps creating a yeast starter?

In previous posts you have lambasted people for swamping basic brewers with over the top advanced technical advice, when they were trying to help/advise, yet now you see fit to cough up unclear or incomplete information that would leave a begineer rather confused!

Cheers SJ

But how do I know my starter has started? Do I take an OG of my starter? Or do I just need to buy a cat?

There's a hole in my bucket... :huh:

I apologise for my tardy description of "start the yeast".

Put yeast into a cup of cold tap water and add a teaspoon of sugar. Wait for it to foam up (should have an inch or two of foam ... sometimes it will escape the cup - this is a good thing).

If it still hasn't foamed up after 2 hours at 20 degrees C ... don't start making your kit beer.

Don't forget to take your OG if you like to ferment with dead yeast.

This doesn't sound like something an amateur could possibly have the skills to perform. Anything outside of cutting a pack of dried yeast open and sprinkling it over the wort is way too complex, and people shouldn't bother.

Nick on the alert, waiting to beat back the yeast as it escapes from his cup...
ninjatard.jpeg

This doesn't sound like something an amateur could possibly have the skills to perform. Anything outside of cutting a pack of dried yeast open and sprinkling it over the wort is way too complex, and people shouldn't bother.

If you subtract your OG from your FG and then add 0.0253 divide by 3/4 to allow for the lunar phase and the temperature of the current sunspots ... and use this calculation's sine value, at the bottom right corner of your yeast packet, you'll find a small button labeled (in Cyrillic) "START".

Warning: Nunchucks used under controlled conditions by expert

Kit brewers please do not chuck your nuns at home.

EDIT: 5000 kelvin is a bit on the high side for starter fermentation.

ROFL! B man!

I wasn't going to bother with this again but???? I just love to brow beat as yawl know!

You use an open cup to start your yeast in? Not worried about infection? 2 hours and you have a fired up starter huh?

Well aren't I all red faced seeing I've been going about it the wrong way huh?

Hugs and Kisses

Chappo (Brew Snob and general social forum tard)

I apologise for my tardy description of "start the yeast".

Put yeast into a cup of cold tap water and add a teaspoon of sugar. Wait for it to foam up (should have an inch or two of foam ... sometimes it will escape the cup - this is a good thing).

If it still hasn't foamed up after 2 hours at 20 degrees C ... don't start making your kit beer.

Even simpler for those poor simpletons making k&K beers (come on now, we don't want to pop their tiny little minds with complicated procedures like measuring a teaspoon of this substance you call sugar) would be to add the yeast to some water for 30 mins and let it re-hydrate, no need for sugar. Proof that the yeast is alive will be seen as it turns the water into a milky yeasty mess.

Note: some of the above comments are sarcastic in nature and directed at Nick, not our tiny minded K&K friends ;)

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back