Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proof that the yeast is alive will be seen as it turns the water into a milky yeasty mess.

Uhh... not quite!

If i put a scoop of flour into some water, cover it, and come back later, wheb it's dispersed itself into the water and appears cloudy, is the flour alive?

If i put a scoop of flour into some water, cover it, and come back later, wheb it's dispersed itself into the water and appears cloudy, is the flour alive?

I don't know Adam, you would need to take an OG reading prior to pitching :p

Fair call though, my description may not have been the best. I should ammend my comments to, an indication of the yeast viability will be visible as the dried yeast absorbes the water, drops to the bottom and swells/plumps up. It will also smell very yeasty.

Cheers SJ

Well there's another benefit to All Grain it apparently makes you smarter not so "tiny minded"... What does that make our megaswill mates out there then?

Well there's another benefit to All Grain it apparently makes you smarter not so "tiny minded"...

Probably not, i suggest that you probably snuck through the door at the same time i did, while no one was looking (i believe they were busy using their infinitely larger brains to dazzle other K&K brewers). But keep quiet so they don't notice us!!!

Cheers SJ

As far as starters, I thought you stirred the yeast into a cup of water and listened for the snap, crackle and pop to know when it is ready to pitch.

edit
What does that make our megaswill mates out there then?

failed brewers?????

This thread is gonna be moderated so frikkin hard any minute now.

I don't know Adam, you would need to take an OG reading prior to pitching :p

Fair call though, my description may not have been the best. I should ammend my comments to, an indication of the yeast viability will be visible as the dried yeast absorbes the water, drops to the bottom and swells/plumps up. It will also smell very yeasty.

Cheers SJ

Foolproof! If the yeast is viable, it will drop to the bottom and smell like yeast!

Note: some of these comments are of a sarcastic nature and directed at myself.

Probably not, i suggest that you probably snuck through the door at the same time i did, while no one was looking (i believe they were busy using their infinitely larger brains to dazzle other K&K brewers). But keep quiet so they don't notice us!!!

Cheers SJ

Gotchya SJ! Chappo keep DumDumb! Mouth shut :rolleyes:

So if k&kers are simple minded folk what are BIABers? One step up from an ant? :ph34r:

So just in case you are incapable of sealing a fermenter, you need an OG reading? Seems counterintuitive - why complicate matters by getting irrelevant readings?

In K&K brewing, OGs are irrelevant.

How many people who do K&Ks even know what attenuation means? Or care?

Still, it does make us sound knowledgeable, doesn't it?
One of the stupidest things ive heard on here. From day 1 I measured OG, SG and FG when K&K. why. bacause you should you should know what alc conetent you have, or if fermentation has stalled or under attentuated. its also good bloody practice.

I know this thread has moved on somewhat form this point but seriously, its poor and bad advice to give K&K people that OG doesnt count.

Even beeroclock wanted to know what his OG was, so he could work out how strong his rocket fuel was from his 3kg of sugaz. :rolleyes:

One of the stupidest things ive heard on here. From day 1 I measured OG, SG and FG when K&K. why. bacause you should you should know what alc conetent you have, or if fermentation has stalled or under attentuated. its also good bloody practice.

I know this thread has moved on somewhat form this point but seriously, its poor and bad advice to give K&K people that OG doesnt count.

Exactly... on the weekend (biggest brew day) one of the best beers of the day was a Kit brew from a very patient and knowledgable kit brewer who knew alot about fermentation etc...

Exactly... on the weekend (biggest brew day) one of the best beers of the day was a Kit brew from a very patient and knowledgable kit brewer who knew alot about fermentation etc...

Sounds like there were a lot of crappy AG'ers in attendance :lol:

And it's easier to rhyme potty words with the name "Nick" too.

Sounds like there were a lot of crappy AG'ers in attendance :lol:

ummm no actually good ones, PP's beers are fantastic and he had an award winning beer on tap. Though two of his beers on tap were a little green only 12 hours in the keg but I stuck with those all day as I love his beer. My point was the kit brew still had huge WOW factor and had being in the bottle for quite some time it was also a brown ale which is not my usual style of beer. The beer we took was a IPA which was also only three weeks old it was cracker but had not come together as yet.

I was better of not knowing who you really are! :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back