Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start the yeast before you pour it in.
And completely out of context. I suggest having a read of the post again. Slowly this time, so it can be digested.

Straws, anyone?? To clutch perhaps? No need for an OG, this baby's been started... Rolling.

Edit: WRT bites, sorry, no earlier opportunity. Fair cop though, I just updated the list in my assistant...

I'd say it's infected... with Nickocillus Jaydeevisiae.

why is everyone still biting for f*&^cks sake?

I apologise for my tardy description of "start the yeast".

Put yeast into a cup of cold tap water and add a teaspoon of sugar. Wait for it to foam up (should have an inch or two of foam ... sometimes it will escape the cup - this is a good thing).

If it still hasn't foamed up after 2 hours at 20 degrees C ... don't start making your kit beer.

Don't forget to take your OG if you like to ferment with dead yeast.

Tardy means late chief, not under-explained. The point that I see in that (and what I read into supra-jim's post too) is that recommending either a starter or rehydration is no less complicated a process (or science blinding) than taking a hydrometer reading. Considering most kit instructions suggest sprinkling yeast over the top, you just added on extra technical step that most kk brewers supposedly couldn't grasp.

@ Brewer Pete - there are a thousand things you might do (and I) with your own brews but I wouldn't always recommend them to people just starting out. If I drop a sausage on the floor I might decide to pick it up and eat it but should I recommend that to every sausage dropper? What people did in the past is not always an indicator either. Remember leaches or curing illness by bleeding? Treating psychosis by drowning in a water bath? Some things progress for a reason. Take a hydrometer, learn to use it, make good beer. When you understand the processes and what to look for YOU may decide to dispense with said items. They're not complicated to use though and can actually make simple kk brewing simpler.

Tardy means late chief, not under-explained. The point that I see in that (and what I read into supra-jim's post too) is that recommending either a starter or rehydration is no less complicated a process (or science blinding) than taking a hydrometer reading. Considering most kit instructions suggest sprinkling yeast over the top, you just added on extra technical step that most kk brewers supposedly couldn't grasp.

@ Brewer Pete - there are a thousand things you might do (and I) with your own brews but I wouldn't always recommend them to people just starting out. If I drop a sausage on the floor I might decide to pick it up and eat it but should I recommend that to every sausage dropper? What people did in the past is not always an indicator either. Remember leaches or curing illness by bleeding? Treating psychosis by drowning in a water bath? Some things progress for a reason. Take a hydrometer, learn to use it, make good beer. When you understand the processes and what to look for YOU may decide to dispense with said items. They're not complicated to use though and can actually make simple kk brewing simpler.

It all depends on how long the sausage was on the floor!!!! doesnt it? :p

When I worked in restaurants we actually used to measure the amount of time food was on the floor after it had been dropped. If the chef who'd dropped it picked it up for mise en place after 3.78 seconds we used to lock them in the cool room until the end of service with only a menu for company.

When I worked in restaurants we actually used to measure the amount of time food was on the floor after it had been dropped. If the chef who'd dropped it picked it up for mise en place after 3.78 seconds we used to lock them in the cool room until the end of service with only a menu for company.

:icon_offtopic:

try throwing ice in the deep fryer

True story - when I was a simple dishpig, I worked with a chef who used to fill her pasta/blanching pot with water from the fridge (as in the toxic drip waste water).

When questioned by another chef, she claimed, quite seriously, that cold water came to the boil quicker than hot water.

I see.

Yum

When questioned by another chef, she claimed, quite seriously, that cold water came to the boil quicker than hot water.

Well, that would depend on the OG. But as OG's are meaningless, it's a moot point.

why is everyone still biting for f*&^cks sake?

Probably because they don't have a signature that reads "In my garage minding my own business!" :p

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Or add your goop & other fermentables at the end of your boil. Then when you mix it with cold water in the fermenter, it's all mixed. I had a similar theoy, so have taken to doing a measure of the tapped wort, and then ladelled a portion out from the bulk of the wort. Same-Same, on both readings.
oh no f*ck me i actually agree with some Jase renageade said ;) :eek:

I don't care who rips what out of anybody, but........
let's not lay into Katie.
i beleive i said something similar although not as blunt in post 126. leave KT alone. and get back on topic. as i did in post 126. now im going back to my Hunt for Brown October. I was only going to have 1 pot...8 down and still going. and I have recorded OF, multi SGs and FG.!

oh and brewerpetre is obviously such an experinced brewer that he can afford not to take OG readings. if you doubt me look at his techincal brewing knowledge on meads etc where he has taken refract readings up thw wahzoo to provode points and make scientific/brewing knowledge.

yeah yeah yeah spelling, grammer etc is bad. dont care. too busy drinking beer.

I have recorded OF,

grammer is bad. dont care. too busy drinking beer.

Good beer is good

OF is reading the right way up. Kit brewers should read OJ to start and progress to OG followed by IH and then OF when they are ready though.

ooooppps lmao/ yeah OF is the way the cool kids say it now a days. getting down to the DJ

How about you big, tuff guys let Katie look after herself? She probably already has a dad anyway.

oh and brewerpetre is obviously such an experinced brewer that he can afford not to take OG readings. if you doubt me look at his techincal brewing knowledge on meads etc where he has taken refract readings up thw wahzoo to provode points and make scientific/brewing knowledge.

That's exactly the point. He's reached a stage where he understands what his ferments are doing without needing a hydrometer. I myself only use one loosel)y (although my experience and knowledge is 8 million miles away from BP.

The original question from Nick was "why would any KK brewer take an OG reading?" followed by the suggestion that anyone advising such things was only pushing their own expert barrow and trying to blind noobs with science. I'm fairly certain that's not the angle ol' Pete would be coming from.

I apologise for my tardy description of "start the yeast".

Put yeast into a cup of cold tap water and add a teaspoon of sugar. Wait for it to foam up (should have an inch or two of foam ... sometimes it will escape the cup - this is a good thing).

If it still hasn't foamed up after 2 hours at 20 degrees C ... don't start making your kit beer.

Don't forget to take your OG if you like to ferment with dead yeast.

hmmm, my rehydrated yeasts always have foam over the surface BEFORE i add any sugaz...I never realised before that the foam of yeast in water meant the yeast had actually started fermenting :ph34r:

Pouring cold water on top of 75 degree malt/sugar syrup and then expecting to get an evenly distributed specific gravity is like pouring cold water on top of a spoon full of sugar in a coffee cup.

It takes an insane amount of stiring to even start to get a homogenous solution. Take all the OGs you want .. they'll be next to useless.

Errr....no...

A lot of difference between dissolution of a solid in a liquid versus mixing two liquids...if this is what your own experiments have found then I would suggest you haven't actually dissolved your tins of goo properly in the first place :ph34r:

Like BribieG I pretty much know my recipes and I do them from memory again and again. If I'm reading about something I have not done I will go into the additional sample readings and that helps me build in my mind the steps I will be going through to replicate. If the process is simple I'll usually omit, but if its more in depth I will.

And I think this is the part of your lengthy post that actually makes sense in this topic...if you don't know or are unfamiliar the recipe/process etc then you take readings...

Could it be that the fact that the OP started this thread in the first place would suggest that they might (I know this is stretching things a little) not be comfortable with what they are doing and therefore this statement that I have quoted might (going out on a limb here) be the appropriate piece of advice?

Back