Hydrom Electronic Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion but all these digital hydrometers are just toys for us hobbyists. Because as hobbyists we like buying shit we want and not tools we need. If you're serious about going commercial I would recommend more research into industry standards. I believe a poster above meant to refer to his baume hydrometer. I am assuming here but would imagine the standard or most common measure for mead is Baume.

Hi Brewers, wondering if anyone can help me with this. Just bought a Hydrom, put it in my first batch of Mead today, problem is it seems to be working fine, I did calibrate it but I also used the standard gravity hydrometer to check if they matched. The gravity Hydrometer is at 1.18 and the Floating Hydrom is 1.10, which is about a 2% difference in ABV. Anyone had a similar issue?

The Hydrom should be applying temperature correction to the SG value, whereas your gravity hydrometer will not be (unless you're calculating that manually). You would need to confirm this with the developer, but it's how I would program the device to work; no point it just outputting a raw value when it includes a thermometer. Temperature correction should be baked in.

This will mean your two devices will not agree with each other, at face value, although they're both correct. In other words, you need to know what your measuring/reading before concluding one is wrong.

Gravity hydrometers are calibrated to be correct at only one specific temperature. Therefore temp correction needs to be calculated by the user, to be correct at other temps.

I hope this helps.

EDIT:
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/rapt-pill.103500/post-1580273The Hydrom does indeed have temperature compensation baked in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back