Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as opposed to the Chappo method of Abv calculation - how many pints to gethim pi$$ed :ph34r:

as opposed to the Chappo method of Abv calculation - how many pints to gethim pi$$ed :ph34r:

Muckey,
Everybody knows that is Butters patented method and it can only be used in the strict confines of a brew shed/man cave! FFS don't confuse the poor bugger!

Chap Chap

So just in case you are incapable of sealing a fermenter, you need an OG reading? Seems counterintuitive - why complicate matters by getting irrelevant readings?

In K&K brewing, OGs are irrelevant.

How many people who do K&Ks even know what attenuation means? Or care?

Still, it does make us sound knowledgeable, doesn't it?

What? Surely you can't be serious?
OG is as important to a K&K as it to any Brewer. Especially once your over the kilo of sugaz and starting to add real beneficial juices to your brews like steep grains, BE2 etc. You need to know where your brew has started and expected to finish, No?

Cheer

Chappo

So just in case you are incapable of sealing a fermenter, you need an OG reading?

Did you even read my post, or did your bicycle helmet slip down over your eyes? What the hell has sealing the fermenter got to do with anything?

Someone seems to be trying to elevate what he does in order to sound similar.

Why shouldn't we kit brewers learn about how yeast works?

I'll bite!

If cidery beer is your thing then keep going... Hell don't bother with temp control either that just for phuckwits like us.

I'm sure we can all waste our time and knowledge on more the grateful sods.

<_<

And third - to get your head around processes that might become more important later. Why develop bad habits when you can develop good ones?

Damn Straight!

So just in case you are incapable of sealing a fermenter, you need an OG reading? Seems counterintuitive - why complicate matters by getting irrelevant readings?

Ok. I'll suggest that taking an OG reading is an important habit to develop with kit/kilo beers for one simple reason.

How easy is it to forget simple things, no matter what stage you're at? Imagine it's your second or third brew, you think you've got everything under control, pour in your goop, add water, throw in yeast, everything's fine and dandy. Take the sample. Woops it's only 1025 (actual figures may differ from those pulled from my arse to illustrate a point).

What's wrong? Ah yes - that bag of sugar/dextrose/LDME/BE2 is still sitting on the shelf and should have been added. Well let's throw it in then.

Imagine you didn't take the reading, walked away, fermented your coopers light (unexpectedly) bottled the brew and wondered why your kit was actually water with beer cordial (hold the cordial).

It's easy enough to do, it's good practice for later and it can help avoid mistakes. Why would you be recommending so hard against it? Take sample, drop hydrometer, in read numbers. POP

the only response I can think of for that post
thestupiditburns.jpg

^Bad advice. Threads should only be locked if ridiculously out of control (i.e. rampant racism, constantly breaking serious board rules, etc). And my shiny, new brewer brethren need to see someone correcting this kind of statement or else we may think it is an ok attitude.

^Bad advice. Threads should only be locked if ridiculously out of control (i.e. rampant racism, constantly breaking serious board rules, etc). And my shiny, new brewer brethren need to see someone correcting this kind of statement or else we may think it is an ok attitude.

Cheers. Many forums become hangouts for lynch mobs who gang up on anyone who disagrees with their mighty knowledge.

Here's the thing: anyone putting sucrose into their beer is not going to know what to do with an OG reading. They are certainly not going to care about attenuation.

The wealth of information, and the kind expertise of people here is great ... but at some point this expertise serves to cloud up the novice brewer with irrelevant information, at a level that is beyond them.

OG is a wonderful piece of information for more complicated brewing - but let's face it, if you are incabable of correctly dissolving and stirring the sugars in the bottom of your fermenter - what on earth are you going to do with an OG reading?

My suggestion is to worry about the final gravity readings, that the OG is useless to the kit brewer.

Experts need to know the difference between helping novices, and blowing their own horn.

I disagree nick. How can you know that your final gravity is actually your final gravity if you dont know where it started.

I disagree nick. How can you know that your final gravity is actually your final gravity if you dont know where it started.

The beer doesn't taste sweet. And the gravity is constant.

Seriously - let's give the novice brewer an informative and seriously simple test of true FG.

What yeast are they using? What is the temperature? What brewing software are they using?

Read the OP's question again ... and then how everyone starts discussing temperature effects on OG.

I'm all for the intracacies of brewing - but blinding with science is bad.

Cheers. Many forums become hangouts for lynch mobs who gang up on anyone who disagrees with their mighty knowledge.

Here's the thing: anyone putting sucrose into their beer is not going to know what to do with an OG reading. They are certainly not going to care about attenuation.

The wealth of information, and the kind expertise of people here is great ... but at some point this expertise serves to cloud up the novice brewer with irrelevant information, at a level that is beyond them.

OG is a wonderful piece of information for more complicated brewing - but let's face it, if you are incabable of correctly dissolving and stirring the sugars in the bottom of your fermenter - what on earth are you going to do with an OG reading?

My suggestion is to worry about the final gravity readings, that the OG is useless to the kit brewer.

Experts need to know the difference between helping novices, and blowing their own horn.
Talk about a sweeping statement...you say that people adding sucrose to their beer don't care about attenuation? have you asked them all, individually, if this is the case? If you don't care...fine. But the information is there, as requested, and if people want to use it, they can. But it's their choice to do so...NOT yours.

And do some people, at least, care about such things? I guess they do....how many people have downloaded and/or commented on ianh's spreadsheet, as an example?

Simple fact, for you, mate. If you don't want to know the answer, dont ask the f*cking question.

:rolleyes:

The beer doesn't taste sweet.

bottle bombs!

a beer that has an FG of 1.012 wont taste sweet however to know if it has actually finished or not unless you know what actually went into it and hence some idea of where it started.

You are simply a troll who is going to cause no end of problems for new brewers

Simple fact, for you, mate. If you don't want to know the answer, dont ask the f*cking question.

:rolleyes:

I didn't ask a question. I tried to simplify a novice brewers problem when "experts" were clouding it. My apologies. Now go take your stress pills.

bottle bombs!

a beer that has an FG of 1.012 wont taste sweet however to know if it has actually finished or not unless you know what actually went into it and hence some idea of where it started.

You are simply a troll who is going to cause no end of problems for new brewers

Bye. Trolls don't hang around.

Ummm i add sucrose to my beers.... There must be something wrong with my processes/recipe formulations, this might be the reason why i only get 3rds in comps. :rolleyes:

Without know your OG its impossible to estimate your FG,. its like dealing with the following: A - B = 23. Tell me what the value of B is... have fun with that. If you make a cracker of a beer, how are you going to replicate it without knowing the OG?

Helping and blowing your own horn unfortunatly can come part and parcel. Especially when provideing solutions via an example of experience and positive/negative results. If someone wants to ferment @ 37deg or topoff their fermenter with toilet water.. go for it. we will be the first to say... "i told ya so!"

Back