Hydrogen peroxide sanitizer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
What do you reccomend as a dilution rate for 50% H2O2 so it can be used as a santizer?

If I can get an answer in ml per L that would be easier for me to work out.

Cheers

Use it neat :D

I used to mix peroxide to about 4:1 ..but I cant remember the concerntration of the peroxide

Its the ducks bollox as a no-rinse sainitiser.... better than Star-San :ph34r:

I do about 75-100:1 for my 5% solution with no infection issues over the years :)

I used to use hydrogen peroxide (http://www.huwasan.com) got it from jaysol chemicals, as a sanitizer but stopped as it can be a bit fiddly. One of the problems is that it breaks down quite quickly unless it has a stabilizer added. The Huwasan product, even with it's silver ion stabilzer still has a shelf life of about 3 years undiluted. Once you mix it with water it starts to turn into water and oxygen. Even if does have a stabilizer added though don't use it for your next brew if it's been a couple of weeks, just mix some more.

Also the other thing is, it only works while in contact with the surface and it takes a few min from memory to sanitize. So with my standard plastic fermenter it won't stay in contact with the sides unless you roll it around really slowly. Where as the foamy acid base sanitizers stick to the walls of the vessel your trying to sanitize.

As far as the concentration needed to work that's a pretty powerful % you have there. I think that 1 ml/ litre of water is the upper limit for the concentration to be safe, so you might want use .5ml/ litre.

There is some stuff on this forum if you do a search for hydrogen peroxide.

Yes the only prob with Peroxide mixed with water is that it breaks down fairly quickly so needs to be used on the day

I used to keep my peroxide in the fridge, and it needs a vented cap

You know it works when it turns the skin on your hands white

Normal recommendation is for 3% peroxide, which would be 60 ml per litre of your 50% solution.

It is more effective at very high or very low pH so adding acid (say 2% citric) helps.

BTW peroxide is actually reasonably stable as long as it isn't exposed to light.

I was always told by the supplier to " keep it cold & dark "

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Normal recommendation is for 3% peroxide, which would be 60 ml per litre of your 50% solution.

It is more effective at very high or very low pH so adding acid (say 2% citric) helps.

BTW peroxide is actually reasonably stable as long as it isn't exposed to light.

Is that right?

60ml/L of 50% seems a little strong, I could be wrong, but I've reading other posts regarding H2o2 and the 5% solution gets diltuted to 10ml/L

I might be getting myself confused because when I was learning this in high school I was a little pre-occupied with guitars, skateboarding and boobs.

Can you clarify please?

To be honest I don't understand why you'd go through all the above when you can just buy/use starsan. Mix at 1.5ml per litre and that's it. It's harmless, non rinse, doesn't effect your beer and is reusable, a huge bonus on most sanitisers.

60mL/1000mL is 6% .. But as you only have a 50% solution.. Half of 6% is 3%.

Lyrebirds calcs are correct to obtain a 3% solution.

The "Morgans" brand sanitiser I purchased has listed 2.95% hydrogen peroxide, but it also says to dilute that to 30mL in one litre. 3% of 60mL if you like.

3% of 60mL is 1.8mL.

Long story short... 2mL in a litre should do the trick.

I put the Morgans at correct concentration in a 500mL spray bottle covered with duct tape (keeps the light out) and spray fine mist over stuff to sanitise. It lasts about a month before it runs out.

I also hit everything with a bit of boiling water to be on the safe side. Seems to do the job.

Off topic (sorry) but out of interest would any chemists like to elaborate on the "dodecylbenzene" component of the starsan molecule. Particularly the "benzene" ring and it's fate. My very limited knowledge of benzene is that it's a baddie?

The Huwa San says 49g/L so close enough to 50%

It says to use 1 part Huwa San to 40 - 100 parts of water

So I use 5ml Huwa -San to 500ml of water in the spray bottle but usually draw the syringe past
the end 5ml mark so its probably 7ml

Hey WEAL where did you get you're Paracetic acid from & how do you get it out of the container ?

What precautions do you take when handling it ? cheers Rude

Doogiechap said:
I do about 75-100:1 for my 5% solution with no infection issues over the years :)
Hey Doogie Chap great to hear from you mate

It was you all those years ago that put me onto the Huwa San tr5

Is this youre prefered sanitiser still & is my maths bad , is it only 5%

Ducatiboy stu said:
Its the ducks bollox as a no-rinse sainitiser.... better than Star-San :ph34r:
Heresy!

Burn the witch.

wide eyed and legless said:
Agree with above, I use Peracetic acid as a sanitiser and dilute to 5ml / litre.
Peracetic is much more effective than peroxide.

It is normal to use peracetic at 0.5% concentration, as stated above the normal recommendation for peroxide is 3%.

Interesting to know. So the Morgans is advising applying a fraction of the normal recommendation?

i.e. 30/1000 x a solution which starting point is 2.95% peroxide?

Edit: Unless the starting point of the morgans is 100% .. in which case the dilution takes it down to 3%

Latest posts

Back