How to transform good wort into shit beer. Rehydrate pitch dried yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No issues here I don't even rehydrate, just pitch required amount of dry yeast.
No esters just a clean neutral fermentation.

About to pitch 2 packs of S-189 into an Aussie Lager if I can get off my arse.

I don't rehydrate,

waste of time, potential for contamination high...

never had an issue with US05 (or that danstar version, I think it's called West Coast Ale)...

I just feel awkward for the hundreds/thousands of breweries around the world making delicious beer that are now finding out the yeast they have been using is just shitty dry yeast....

If you deem the potential for contamination as high when rehydrating, I'd suggest you should look at your regular sanitation regime. If you can ferment a full batch successfully with the right sanitation, you can surely rehydrate yeast with extremely minimal risk of contamination.

I make starters every time. Its nice to see visual confirmation that's its active and viable. There's always the risk its lost viability in previous storage before you buy it, dry or liquid. I've been surprized to see how yeast viability and starter activity can vary from one pack to another of the same yeasts.

technobabble66 said:
Fermenting at 18°C, Bribie?
If you get off your arse, that is.
I'll do the full Carlton on this one, pitch at 13 for five days then let it rise to 19 over five days, then lager at -1 for ten days.

I did get off my arse, into the spare room for a nap :p

Surely some sanitation issues here? If you've rehydrated into something not clean or sanitary you'd expect carry over. Also three packets assuming 10 billion cells per gram of dried yeast is a massive underpitch (Not heaps of details on your particular recipe but using brewers friend yeast calc I've put in 1.050 wort, and a pitching rate of 0.75M/ml/degree plato which is lower than I'd use). No offence but I wouldnt expect brilliant beer if I underpitched by 227 Billion cells. Sure make a starter but I've used dry notto and us05 numberous times unrehydrated poured straight in AFTER I've calculated whether or not that pitch is sizeable enough, I do 10-13L batches so the answer is yes. I'd never pitch without a starter without using a pitching rate calculator using extremely conservative numbers.

After several more tastes, I'm thinking its as above under pitch or infected. Dried yeast must just hate me, I've made heaps of beers with liquid yeast and never had an issue. Me rehydrating techniques must be up the shit or something.

It could simply be that everytime you have used liquid yeast you have pitched correctly because you've made a starter and every time you've used dry yeast you've underpitched, stressed the yeast, produced a heap of esters and acetylaldehyde and have put the blame on the dry yeast as opposed to your lack of pitching calculations prior :)

I'm leaning more toward infections rather than underpitching. I say this because I'd say Leffe is known more for its phenolic character rather than esters. Phenols can come from wild yeast etc. So, if the beers are Leffe-like, then phenolics (possibly infection) are the problem.

Of course if it really is esters, rather than phenols, then underpitching is a likely suspect.

Happy brewing.

There's a distinct possibility you could have developed petite mutant yeast cells.
You would need to adjust the X, P and G vectors according to this formula

petite mutants.gif

:ph34r:

dannymars said:
I don't rehydrate,

waste of time, potential for contamination high...

never had an issue with US05 (or that danstar version, I think it's called West Coast Ale)...
A while back there was a very healthy discussion on this very subject. :ph34r:

I am still not sure what the result is..... :unsure:

Just to add, on brew day I split off 25L of my wort to a separate kettle to make a hoppy us pale ale, same yeast(pitched about 1.5pkts), same ferment temp, same rehydrating technique, only diff was a tonne more hops. It just finished fermenting and hit my target of 1.010, hydro sample tastes great. Clean as. Possible the extra hops had an antiseptic effect? The other leffe tasting beer is down to 1.008 now which makes me think it's gotta be infected as. Must not have sanitised my fermenter well enough.
So just want apologise, "sorry dry yeast, you are probably not so bad".

It's a good learning experience, will be going even more nazi on the sanitation in the future.

Latest posts

Back