How to transform good wort into shit beer. Rehydrate pitch dried yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make starters with dry yeast purely to be able to harvest some for re-use (if it's a strain I use often like US-05), as I harvest from starters rather than the fermenter trub. The yeast is always re-hydrated before it is pitched into the starter wort. It may not be best practice to make starters with these yeasts, but it works for me and the beers are fine. And then after that initial use the yeast is liquid anyway.

rockeye84 said:
Got lazy and didn't make a starter before brewing so used us05, rehydrated & pitched 3 in date packs into well 60l of well oxygenated wort at 18c, has been fermenting @18c since 2nd of Jan.

Over attenuated and tastes like leffe, full of esters and is ******* shit as far as I'm concerned! Was meant to be a mild blonde ale but all I can taste is filthy dirty shitty yeast esters, no malt no hops jus shitty esters!

Rehydrated and used s189 at lager temps a while ago and had the same results. Leffe fucken shit dirty taste!!!!

Only success I've had with dry yeast when I do what's not recommend and make a starter with it be4 brewing, so ya may as well jus use wyeast.

Lesson learned. All forms of dry yeast can go get fucked! And make a starter before every batch!!
I don't even want to read the three pages of this post. In summary- If you are blaming dry yeast for your shit beer you are wrong.

danestead said:
Yes, starsan is only effective if it's PH is less than I believe 3.5. Its PH will rise over time, especially if you have mixed it with untreated tap water. As a personal rule of thumb, I don't use any starsan on brew day if it hasn't been mixed that day.
Starsan will turn cloudy as it deteriorates, I mix up 20l at a time and have never seen it do so over the months it takes me to use it, Melbourne water is perfect for it.

Yob said:
Starsan will turn cloudy as it deteriorates, I mix up 20l at a time and have never seen it do so over the months it takes me to use it, Melbourne water is perfect for it.
Same, tested some starsan on the saturday just gone which was mixed on 12/10/2015 and the pH was still 3, used it and was just fine. I always put it back in the storage cube through a small sieve to keep chunks of stuff from sitting in the starsan.

indica86 said:
Where is the PROOF?

Not what I read, what is here, what he said, but actual proof?
The highly experienced lab people at fermentis, lallemand danstar and other dried yeast manufactures would be able to give you a mountain load of PROOF. How about you go ask them. It is there business to study and research that kind of thing.

Edit: They would have plenty of proof but may not give it over that easily. Also when I said science I meant the study of yeast not the effects on the beer so much.

Mattrox said:
http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/01/dry-yeast-viability/

http://seanterrill.com/2011/07/29/dry-yeast-viability-take-two/

A blind tasting revealed that while similar, there were distinct differences between the three samples. All exhibited some degree of “musty” yeast off-aroma, with the smell being strongest in 2U and least prominent in U. 2U also had the highest degree of esters (particularly peach/apricot), and was the only sample to exhibit an acetaldehyde flavor. R was the cleanest overall, with the lowest level of “hot” alcohol character.
I was going to chime in and mention viability (two fresh packs, R vs U will likely give comparable results) while older yeast - more brittle cell walls - are more likely to be less viable on a bulk level with those remaining undergoing more stress being pitched into wort than water.

I have references for the above of course, over... there.

Yob said:
Yes Melbourne water would be great. You should come across the ditch and try Perth Water. 450 TDS vs about 30 TDS in Melbourne!

Adr_0 said:
I was going to chime in and mention viability (two fresh packs, R vs U will likely give comparable results) while older yeast - more brittle cell walls - are more likely to be less viable on a bulk level with those remaining undergoing more stress being pitched into wort than water.

I have references for the above of course, over... there.
I think if you pitch enough yeast via sprinkling, even if you lose some, you will not be under pitching. As you say if yeast is not fresh then the loss of yeast through sprinkling will be a factor. Why do lots of people sprinkle and get good results???? I reckon that the number of cells in a fresh packet is a conservative estimate and that sprinklers are very often not under pitching or not by enough to affect the outcome of the beer. A mate sprinkles and just pitches 2 packets everytime.

danestead said:
Yes Melbourne water would be great. You should come across the ditch and try Perth Water. 450 TDS vs about 30 TDS in Melbourne!
Maybe you need to whirlpool [emoji6]

HBHB said:
Going to ask a stupid question......why US-05 in a Belgian Style anyway?
Not sure it was. OP referred to using US05 trying to make a 'mild blonde ale' but it ended up tasting shit like Leffe. Everyone then seemed to assume OP meant they were trying to make a Belgian blonde. Not sure that would be the case when the reckon Leffe tastes like shit.

I could be wrong though, but then I fail to understand why anyone would describe Leffe as shit

Was meant to be a blonde ale but taste like a Belgian coz of a likely wild yeast infection.

Making a bohemian lager today, sanitised the fk out of every piece of brewing equipment last night, stepped up a 1l starter to a 5l starter of wyeast boh lager, have it sitting in the fridge @10c ready to be pitched.

Better luck this time eh. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1453508781.436690.jpg

rockeye84 said:
Was meant to be a blonde ale but taste like a Belgian coz of a likely wild yeast infection.

Making a bohemian lager today, sanitised the fk out of every piece of brewing equipment last night, stepped up a 1l starter to a 5l starter of wyeast boh lager, have it sitting in the fridge @10c ready to be pitched.

Better luck this time eh.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1453508781.436690.jpg

You say u sanitized last night. You are sanitizing just prior to using your equipment as well right?

Correct, sanitised all hoses and chiller etc, filled fermenters and associated equipment with pink Neo, will rinse fermenters just be4 filling with wort.

Latest posts

Back