How to transform good wort into shit beer. Rehydrate pitch dried yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeye84

Reaction score
Got lazy and didn't make a starter before brewing so used us05, rehydrated & pitched 3 in date packs into well 60l of well oxygenated wort at 18c, has been fermenting @18c since 2nd of Jan.

Over attenuated and tastes like leffe, full of esters and is ******* shit as far as I'm concerned! Was meant to be a mild blonde ale but all I can taste is filthy dirty shitty yeast esters, no malt no hops jus shitty esters!

Rehydrated and used s189 at lager temps a while ago and had the same results. Leffe fucken shit dirty taste!!!!

Only success I've had with dry yeast when I do what's not recommend and make a starter with it be4 brewing, so ya may as well jus use wyeast.

Lesson learned. All forms of dry yeast can go get fucked! And make a starter before every batch!!

Have never tried notto. Too scared to touch dried ever again, literally never had a bad experience with wyeast!

Crazy. Ive had some awesome beers that have been brewed with 05. Commercial ones too....but in those cases its likely to be a repitch.

I have had a few good with us05 but only when I make make a starter with it. Rehydrate or pitch dry. Shithouse!

You'd be in the minority. US05 is a very clean yeast. I've never got any noticable esters from it. Millions of clean beers have been brewed with US05. Maybe describe your process in more detail and we can help. It might be a sanitation issue.

Topher said:
Crazy. Ive had some awesome beers that have been brewed with 05. Commercial ones too....but in those cases its likely to be a repitch.
Same. Us05 is great rehydrated and fermented at 16 any warmer and your gunna taste it.

If only I could use it to make a leffe clone .

Isn't there a good chance 3 packs of US-05 in 60 L wort is an under-pitch if you're making a Leffe Blonde clone? I daresay you've got about half the cells you need to have an optimal pitch (maybe even less if the packs are quite old).

For reference I pitched 2 packs of S-33 (rehydrated) in 23L of 1.067 for a Belgian Blonde and it tasted great out of the fermenter (currently still maturing in the bottles, but I've got high hopes).

Coodgee said:
You'd be in the minority. US05 is a very clean yeast. I've never got any noticable esters from it. Millions of clean beers have been brewed with US05. Maybe describe your process in more detail and we can help. It might be a sanitation issue.
Could be, probably done 60-70 batches total, probably 10-15, with dried strains, they pretty much always disappoint, probably had 2 or 3 that have been decent. Try to use liquid strains most of the time, I'm yet to reach this level of disappointment with a liquid strain, just so much cleaner & better In general IMO.

Not really interested in fixing, just going to give dried yeast the ass.

rockeye84 said:
Could be, probably done 60-70 batches total, probably 10-15, with dried strains, they pretty much always disappoint, probably had 2 or 3 that have been decent. Try to use liquid strains most of the time, I'm yet to reach this level of disappointment with a liquid strain, just so much cleaner & better In general IMO.

Not really interested in fixing, just going to give dried yeast the ass.
this makes me laugh.

accuse all dry yeasts of being terrible when most users have success; particularly with us-05. someone offers to help with your issues and you decline.

Sorry mate I'm just venting coz really pissed off. I'm sure there is some explanation or something I've done wrong but can't be assed trying to diagnose & fix right now.

Not to mention many very successful craft breweries use dried yeast all the time. Exactly the same stuff available to us, just in bigger quantities.

rockeye84 said:
Got lazy and didn't make a starter before brewing so used us05, rehydrated & pitched 3 in date packs into well 60l of well oxygenated wort at 18c, has been fermenting @18c since 2nd of Jan.

Over attenuated and tastes like leffe, full of esters and is ******* shit as far as I'm concerned! Was meant to be a mild blonde ale but all I can taste is filthy dirty shitty yeast esters, no malt no hops jus shitty esters!

Rehydrated and used s189 at lager temps a while ago and had the same results. Leffe fucken shit dirty taste!!!!

Only success I've had with dry yeast when I do what's not recommend and make a starter with it be4 brewing, so ya may as well jus use wyeast.

Lesson learned. All forms of dry yeast can go get fucked! And make a starter before every batch!!
Oh what a buggar!

Do ya best to do everything right and end up with 60l of crud!! Just makes ya want to leave all ya brewing shit out for the kirb side collection! Lol

Yeah not sure why you're getting those results. I use 05 for probably 60% of beers and I'm pretty happy with the results. Ontop of that I worked in a commercial brewery with a pretty good output who only used dry safale in their wort.

Given that it's only been 10 days since pitching (9 at the time of your OP), I'd say it needs time to clear.
Cold crash it today and let it sit at 0 for a couple days (even try some gelatin or isinglass).
I've used US-05 a few times lately for a very clean APA - tastes like shit at ferment temps - tastes amazing after a few days CC'd - even better after isinglass.

Is it possible that what you are measuring as 18C is actually warmer?

I have had great success with dried yeasts both rehydrated and sprinkled as well as liquid yeasts with and without starters.

It seems unlikely that dried yeast is the only culprit here!

I always get long lag times using us-05 and most dried yeasts at that pitching rate.

Biggest thing with US-05 is give 2 weeks in primary (at least 10 days). It will clean up after itself but don't rush it.

Latest posts

Back