Dry yeast foaming on rehydration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
Has anyone else had US05 foam on rehydration?

I rehydrated 2 packs today for pitching, and left for about 1 hour to ensure adequate rehydration (my usual practice). When I came back the yeast had started to foam. There were no funky smells (it smelt like rehydrated US05)

I can all but guarantee my sanitisation process (which includes starsan, steam and boiling water), and the yeast was rehydrated in a glass beaker, covered in cling film. I'd be most surprised if there was a contaminant, and the yeast was well and truly in date.

I pitched as it was going into a cube of wort I've had for a while, so am not too concerned if it turns out to be infected.

I'd just be interested to know if this can happen when rehydrating dry yeast, as it's not something I've experience before in my many yeast of rehydrating.

Cheers,

JD

Last edited:
I reckon it is normal. Tends to happen, or is more noticeable, the greater the quantity of yeast you use and the lower the ratio of water.

That's pretty normal I reckon.

Mine sometimes get creamy and foamy if I leave them long enough.

1 hour is well beyond my timeframe for re-hydration though, I usually pitch around 20 minutes or so.

Didn't happen to take a photo did you?

No photo unfortunately, I only thought about taking a picture after I’d pitched. . It looked like normal foaming yeast. I’ll ferment as normal and update on the results.

Cheers lads,

JD

Latest posts

Back