How to transform good wort into shit beer. Rehydrate pitch dried yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danestead, I've always hydrated my dry yeast. Beer can be made by hydrating, beer can be made by dry pitching. My pretty poor point is I've had 2 infections using hydrated yeast but I'm not sure the fact I hydrated it had anything to do with it or it was just a coincidence. The topic's been done to death, I've read enough to convince myself to rehydrate at the home brew level.

Adr_0 said:
I think we should start a thread that discusses this. I would expect it would get to about 680 pages...
Maybe

But back on topic...

Re-hydrating your yeast wont be the factor for an infection or it tasting like crap. The infection would come from your process/method/cleanliness. Something introduced not just the action of re-hydrating your yeast

Rehydrate or sprinkle, thoughts?

...mwuhaha

TheWiggman said:
Danestead, I've always hydrated my dry yeast. Beer can be made by hydrating, beer can be made by dry pitching. My pretty poor point is I've had 2 infections using hydrated yeast but I'm not sure the fact I hydrated it had anything to do with it or it was just a coincidence. The topic's been done to death, I've read enough to convince myself to rehydrate at the home brew level.
Sorry, I think you have misunderstood my post. Im not questioning hydrating or not. Im just confused that you say you have had infections each time when rehydrating yeast but then you go on to say you have had luck in rehydrating. So are you saying you have sometimes had success when rehydrating and other times not, or you have always had infection when rehydrating?

you guys are funny

No problems with dry yeast down here.

Sprinkled or re-hydrated..

Most truth you've ever spoken Stu.
Yeah danestead, have done 4 brews using dry I think post-extract. 2 x M79, was good. Nottingham, worked but a sub par beer. US-05 had plasticky phenolics making it undrinkable - tipped. M44 same story.

I made starters in a sanitized plastic cup in the past. I think its that with wort the yeast get so active it dominates over anything else which must be why I got away with it. I wouldn't trust just rehydrating the yeast the same way though. Probably more risk of infection rather than just pitching dry.
Now my fussiness is more strict. If its just to rehydrate then the water is boiled in a flask for 10 minutes to sterilise the flask and water. Star san some foil and cap the flask while simmering. Rubber band around the neck and then quick chill in a very clean bucket of very clean ice water. Place the flask and the yeast in the temp control fridge to equalise the temperature of both. When I remove the cap and pitch yeast its done over a burning stove (were the heat plumes away resisting any airborn contaminates getting in) Then pitch the yeast into the flask of, water, or wort. Recap with the foil and let sit (like recommendations), mix, stir plate etc.
How's that for fussiness.

Some people just rip the yeast open and sprinkle straight into the fermenter

Works just fine for them. Some have even won comps

Yeah I know. -_- That would piss me off if I've toiled over competitions. Lucky I haven't.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Some people just rip the yeast open and sprinkle straight into the fermenter

Works just fine for them. Some have even won comps
Use these words in a sentence:

Labour
Point
Incessantly

I labour over my brews but don't see the point in rehydrating as I incessantly have success when sprinkling yeast.

Edit: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'll shut up now.

manticle said:
Use these words in a sentence:

Labour
Point
Incessantly
There was a thread about Labour that incessantly tried to point to corruption of unions.

Labor, who for some reason can't spell Labour correctly, are pissed off that the prime minister's official residence of Kirribilli House is currently occupied by the member for Wentworth, a constituency that includes Point Piper, and incessantly insist that Bill should be the next resident, with or without the imposition of GST on lettuce

I wonder if Labours point is to incessantly blame Tony Abbott...... Oh wait, thats more of a question than a sentence.

But this has nothing to do with the fact that re-hydrating yeast would not cause your beer to turn shit

Ducatiboy stu said:
...... Oh wait, thats more of a question than a sentence...
Ah HA!!
DS, a question is a sentence.
I knew that through all of your labours you'd inevitably make an incorrect point.

Oh wait, was the 3rd word "incessantly" or "inevitably"??
:lol:

Ps: wow, several mentions of labour/Labor and not a peep out of WEAL! Is he on holiday or something??

Yep. Totally off topic [emoji41]

technobabble66 said:
Ah HA!!
DS, a question is a sentence.
I knew that through all of your labours you'd inevitably make an incorrect point.

Oh wait, was the 3rd word "incessantly" or "inevitably"??
:lol:

Ps: wow, several mentions of labour/Labor and not a peep out of WEAL! Is he on holiday still mourning the loss Tony Abbott or something??

Yep. Totally off topic [emoji41]

Droopy Brew said:
Another successful derailment. Do you work for Aurizon Stu?

No...but I did spent a fair while working for the NSW Railways

Now back On-Topic everyone......

Latest posts

Back