How To Tap - 1/2" Bsp In A Conical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
I have a plastic conical (100Lt) and i need to add two taps before i can brew with it.

I was thinking of tapping a 1/2" BSP and then adding a Hex Nipple thread, and the tap to this.
secondly i thought of using stainless bulkhead, but i dont know how i would be able to hold the inner nut to tighten this on. (my arms will not reach that far inside the conical)

a quick look on ebay found this 1/2" tap for $38 + $9 postage.... does anyone know of an alternative or a better way to go about this?

the wall thickness is about 10mm

conical is from rotamouldings WAconicals

I have a plastic conical (100Lt) and i need to add two taps before i can brew with it.

secondly i thought of using stainless bulkhead, but i dont know how i would be able to hold the inner nut to tighten this on. (my arms will not reach that far inside the conical)

do you have a decent socket set ? you could tighten the inner with a socket , universal joint and extension bar.

cheers

do you have a decent socket set ? you could tighten the inner with a socket , universal joint and extension bar.

cheers

I just measured the conical and its about 110cm, so with an arm inside i have about 50cm remaining - might be possible with 2 bars. I looked and i have a socket to fit also. The tap on the cone (higher of the 2 taps) might be harder but i am sure i can manage it with a lot of time

I found cheaper taps in the uk - go figure for the $15 mark. If the threaded idea works it means i can remove the tap and clean the thread easy each time i brew.

cheers

hey Gout

I have a 1/2 bsp tap its a first taper tap so does the hole go right through at the same size approx 18/18.5 dia
The tap is at my work
I can tap it for you as iam in frankston
PM me if interested
cheers
bjay

hey Gout

I have a 1/2 bsp tap its a first taper tap so does the hole go right through at the same size approx 18/18.5 dia
The tap is at my work
I can tap it for you as iam in frankston
PM me if interested
cheers
bjay

Thanks mate for the fantastic offer! I will PM you if i need to take you up on it. A mate just called as he might have one at home so i will see how it goes

The tap will go all the way through as far as i can tell.

Latest posts

Back