How To: Modify A Marga Mill.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of just getting my grain crushed and sent to me...but now I am seriously considering getting this marga mill and the little extras from bunnings.

Should save me a lot with buying 25kg sacks of grains...just thinking, which grain should I buy in such a large amount?? decisions decisions...

I dont seem to be able to get my crush gap down to 1mm. Also the gap varies from one side to the other.
What am I doing wrong here ??

Ok, my bad.
Figured out that you have to adjust both nuts by taking off the feed gap knob again.
Doh

Hi all,

Can some one repost the pics in the first post, as I wish to modify my marga mill :)

Hi all,

Can some one repost the pics in the first post, as I wish to modify my marga mill :)

ummm, why would you need them reposted? Why not just go back to the first page of the thread and look at them again?

ummm, why would you need them reposted? Why not just go back to the first page of the thread and look at them again?

Haha, my bad. It would seem that the work proxy has filtered out those images. I will look again at home :)

Cheers.

as i am just getting some bits together to start BIAB i am wondering how a pasta roller machine would go crushing grain, at the moment i have tried the wifes kenwood chef with the glass blender on top , this tends to crush very fine but okay for the biab bit
fergi

as i am just getting some bits together to start BIAB i am wondering how a pasta roller machine would go crushing grain, at the moment i have tried the wifes kenwood chef with the glass blender on top , this tends to crush very fine but okay for the biab bit
fergi

Not very well, the rollers on Pasta Machines are smooth so the Grain would not grip and get pulled through the rollers... :unsure: Im sure someone else on here tried the same thing with very limited success, they even tried to rough the roller up and only wasted a whole machine.... :blink:

:icon_cheers: CB

Yeah, pasta roller is for pasta, and a marga grain mill is for milling grain into flour. Opening the gap via the instructions here allow a good crush for brewing.
Trying to use a pasta roller will lead to tears

Here's my latest Marga Moment.

Up till now I've moistened the grain with about 100 mls water and let it sit for 10 mins till the husks softened a bit.
The last 2 brews I've just put the bucket of grain under the tap, given it a good sized burst (grain almost dripping wet), quick stir, nip in the gap to its narrowest (about 0.8 i think) and go like the clappers with the drill. Crushed it in a few minutes instead of the usual 20 or so.

Got an extra few % efficiency and no run-off problems.

This is with my setup. YMMV.

Cheers

Campbell

Was just re-reading this before I consider adjusting my mill and I spotted stillscottish's post.

I'm interested in trying this idea out, but the only problem might be that I generally mill the afternoon before a morning brew session, leaving the milled grain in a sealed bucket. Now if I were to try this "wet milling" technique, would I just be asking for trouble leaving moist cracked grain in a sealed bucket overnight?

I just went to a hardware store and bought a dyna bolt that fitted into the slot ( I bought two sizes because I wasn't sure which one to get...should have measured). The dnya bolt just slots into the hole and the first turn locks it, and then the drill turns the rollers.

what size did you end up with??

Pollux, using 100ml water per 5kg grain, should be just enough to soften the grain but not enough to wet it through.

gava, they dyna bolt that I found in my cupboard that fits the Marga exactly, has 8mm written on the side.

Was just re-reading this before I consider adjusting my mill and I spotted stillscottish's post.

I'm interested in trying this idea out, but the only problem might be that I generally mill the afternoon before a morning brew session, leaving the milled grain in a sealed bucket. Now if I were to try this "wet milling" technique, would I just be asking for trouble leaving moist cracked grain in a sealed bucket overnight?
Yes you would be asking for big trouble in the form of stale stinky malt.

That was my thinking.....

mmmm, might just start a touch later in the day and do a wet crush just prior to mashing.....Sounds intriguing...

Pollux, using 100ml water per 5kg grain, should be just enough to soften the grain but not enough to wet it through.

gava, they dyna bolt that I found in my cupboard that fits the Marga exactly, has 8mm written on the side.

i tried a 8mm it only went in a few cm.. i screwed the nut down and tried but it kept spinning.. Is it suppose to go in any further?

i tried a 8mm it only went in a few cm.. i screwed the nut down and tried but it kept spinning.. Is it suppose to go in any further?
The one I had was an almost too-tight fit, it went in as far as the handle usually does, and one tightening-turn (by hand) is enough to lock it into place, and it will only come out again if it's loosened completely - it would seem that you need to get one that is a bit bigger - sorry it was not more help, but the ones I have do say 8mm on the side.

Fix my marga mill.. cheers people! just crushed 4.5kilo within 10-15mins..

pimped the marga today B)

before
mm5.jpg

after
100_2794.jpg

100_2799.jpg

too much time on my hands according to the fun spoiler :lol:

cheers

Dave

sweet bottle tree in the backyard....are they close to coming in season?

Latest posts

Back