Second Hand Crankandstein Mill - How to clean/adjust?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
Bought a relatively cheap second hand crankandstein mill today off ebay ($80 for mill with base and hopper) and hoping someone can offer some advice on

1) it has a small amount of surface rust on the rollers (looks worse in pics than in person). Any tips for cleaning it up? Steel brush or just run some rice/grain through it to try and clean it up? is it a dismantle job?

2) does anyone have or know where I can find some instructions on adjusting the gap? before I start playing 'guess which bolt to undo', maybe someone can offer some tips. I have some feeler gauges on their way for accurate gap adjustment.

Pic attached for reference and I think its the '2A' model if it makes any difference.

Any tips would be great as this is my first mill..

crank.JPG

alright, worked out the adjustment part now just need some tips on cleaning up surface rust on rollers....

Is it actually rust or residue from a dark grain crush?

If it is only grain residue then soap and water with a stiff brush will clean it up.

If it is rust then you may try a bit of cooking oil and a stiff brush or I have used a stainless steel brush, the same type that is used for stainless and aluminium welding.
When the rust has gone then some dishwashing liquid and a stiff brush and a good rinse.

Easier if the rollers are out of the frame.

Surface rust shouldn't be a problem, use a wire brush then run some grain through it and she'll be sweet. A light wipe with some cooking oil may help prevent rust.

thanks for the tips...now to find some time to buy a sack of grain ;)

Back