How To: Modify A Marga Mill.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
So when i was looking at buying this mill, there was a bit of info out there about it, but no pictorial on how to modify it for home brew use. So here i go. :huh:

The mill ready to be modified;
DSCF1591.jpg

Easiest job first, use the grain hopper supplied, and make it wider; by wider i mean so it goes the width of the mill, not just a narrow slot like it is now. (photo to come of this)

Use a small flat blade screwdriver, and a mallet, and hit the adjuster cap at the join between the knob and the cap, and the cap will cock to one side. It took a fair blow, and if it doesn't move, move say 1cm left or right and give it another hit;

DSCF1587.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

So now you take the cap off and this is whats underneath;

DSCF1590.jpg

Now pry the white plastic spring off the spindle and the adjuster knob will come off. But first... adjust the knob until the top two rollers ;

DSCF1577.jpg

Are at their widest setting. Note where on the knob the locking notch is. On mine it was just near the number 1 marked on the knob (if you look closely you can see the 1 on the outside of the knob. Note this position may not be exactly the same for each mill). The, take the knob off, and drill it;

DSCF1584.jpg

The hole i drilled is the one all by its lonesome. The size is slightly larger than the others due to my spasticness in not drilling it exactly in the centre of the knob.

Then, I put the knob back on, to lock the upper rollers into position. Now you need to adjust the crush gap;

DSCF1578.jpg

This gap should be 0.060 thou (see post #14). Use the adjusting nuts;

DSCF1579v2.jpg

and

DSCF1576.jpg

to adjust this gap. It is important to ensure that the gap is even;IE the same at both ends of the roller.
Then, put the white plastic spring back on over the adjuster knob, put the cap back on, and roberts your fathers brother. :chug:

This took me under 20 mins to do all of the above, except for the very first step.

Now all's left is to make a bigger hopper!!

Hope this helps some.

Theres been some helpfull hints on this, but FIXA this is legendary :beer:

rook

Cheers mate! hope this helps!

If you are a little apprehensive attacking a brand new $95 mill I found 1 bottle of Pale Ale and 1 bottle of IPA prior to commencing work settles the nerves. Booze and power tools, what a mix! Also, call it luck but I haven't had to adjust my crush gap at all; I just left it as delivered and have gotten 75-80% efficiency on the first two brews.

I think this would make a great addition to the wiki.

Well done!

top work Fixa, i'v never even seen a marga befor and even i get this how to guide

unfortunatly taking a drill to a 95$ mill gives me the heebies, any word from Ross on if/when he will start selling modified mills?

-Phill

top work Fixa, i'v never even seen a marga befor and even i get this how to guide

unfortunatly taking a drill to a 95$ mill gives me the heebies, any word from Ross on if/when he will start selling modified mills?

-Phill

Phill,

After seeing Fixa's excellent post, I may have to make it sooner rather than later. I have a new order on the way but been told it will be a while, so will take a look when they arrive. 1 unmodified left in stock at the moment.
Also, for those that want it, here is Screwtops excellent hopper design:
View attachment Mill_Hopper.doc

cheers Ross.

Thanks guys.
Really, the only part your drilling is the adjusting knob, so your not really stuffing it if you get it wrong. As Ross pointed out to me, you can just tape the adjuster in place if you don't want to mod it. But it's dead set easy, one hole drilled and thats it.

Cool, $95.00 for one of these is a hell of a lot cheaper than any other roller mill, even if it does require a bit of drilling.

I have actually been looking at pasta making machines and thinking that they look a hell of a lot like roller mills to me. Any thoughts about whether they might work or not?? I suspect the fact that the rollers aren't knurled might be the killer for this idea.

Thrsty

PS: Thanks for the photso and info fixa. I think that one of these puppies might just be for me

what are you on thirsty boy i can plainly see the knurling in this picture
DSCF1577.jpg

That aint no pasta maker - that's a Marga Flour mill. Pasta makers don't have knurling, which puts the kaibosh on using it as a grain mill... ;)

Oh, and thanks for the piccies fixa - just got my mill yesterday and will be using your instructions for the upgrade!...

EDIT: Added polite thanks to fixa - why didn't I include this originally?...

He's talking about the pasta roller Barls.

Folks;
I have amended the crush gap to 60 thou. 40-45 was way too fine, much flour ensued.
You can adjust this gap to suit your own needs, and maybe even 60 was a tad fine.

Folks;
I have amended the crush gap to 60 thou. 40-45 was way too fine, much flour ensued.
You can adjust this gap to suit your own needs, and maybe even 60 was a tad fine.

You sure it's 60 thou fixa, check your feeler guage. Couldn't get the gap that wide by any stretch of the imagination on my Marga. Sure it wasn't .60 mm not .060 Inch.

One of the most important factors when using a Marga is to mill using very low speed, otherwise lots of husk tearing and lots of flour. You want to go as slow as possible on the low speed of your drill, 250 - 500 rpm if possible, provides a really good crush. All you really want to do is squeeze the grain to make it break up into pieces, which will then fall out of the husk.
Cheers

yeah. pretty sure its 60 thou. I was hand cranking too, so speed wasn't the issue. Even at this setting, some broken grains and stripped husks aswell.... more tinkering i guess. But got 75% efficiency with this crush :)

yeah. pretty sure its 60 thou. I was hand cranking too, so speed wasn't the issue. Even at this setting, some broken grains and stripped husks aswell.... more tinkering i guess. But got 75% efficiency with this crush :)

Hey fix, gotta be happy with that eff you'll be up at 80+ real quick after tinkering with your mash and sparge tecniques. Broken grains - good, torn husks = feed gap too narrow.

Diagram Here Post # 61

Cheers. Thanks screwtop. Yeah, that's where i got the 40 45 thou from. Far too narrow for my mill...

I've only done one batch but my efficiency was fine on what I think must be the mid setting.

One of the most important factors when using a Marga is to mill using very low speed, otherwise lots of husk tearing and lots of flour. You want to go as slow as possible on the low speed of your drill, 250 - 500 rpm

Yep. Screwtop's right. Best way to ensure this too IMO is to use an 18V cordless drill rather than a variable speed drill. Seems less ham fisted.

Warren -

Back