How To: Modify A Marga Mill.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marga Rules :icon_drunk:

edit: and Bud you are a true gentleman and a scholar.

Found an old Marga mill from my Dads old homebrew setup. 60 bucks back then (15 years ago). Made the modifications and went with the skrewdriver method. Works great. Havent crushed any grain yet, but I will update when I do.

My marga setup

IMG_20140120_123445.jpg

You need 7mm square rod. It works well with a very little vibration.
IMG_20140120_123452.jpg

Takes me 5 minutes max to do 5 kg (hopper holds 3.5kg).

Looks the goods Scooby! Have you modded the base so the grain can fall through or is their a chute set up on the other side?

thats what the bucket does it catches the milled grain

i will do some now brb 12:47 pm

OK had to weigh the grain

IMG_20140120_125026.jpg

Upload the pics

IMG_20140120_125632.jpg

13 Min flat

Funny that this thread has been necroed. I was milling last night and thinking that my Marga setup is running as well as the day I got it.

Since this thread has been revived, for any BIAB brewers, I drilled a new hole midway between the recommended hole in this original tutorial and the most coarse "factory drilled" hole on the control wheel.

Absolutely bloody perfect for BIAB. Takes a minute or so longer to put a batch through, but well worth it.

Bribie G said:
Funny that this thread has been necroed. I was milling last night and thinking that my Marga setup is running as well as the day I got it.

Since this thread has been revived, for any BIAB brewers, I drilled a new hole midway between the recommended hole in this original tutorial and the most coarse "factory drilled" hole on the control wheel.

Absolutely bloody perfect for BIAB. Takes a minute or so longer to put a batch through, but well worth it.
Do you still keep the crush roller gap between .040" - .045" as is recommended earlier in this thread? I'm modifying my mill, and couldn't find a feeler gauge at Bunnings that went this wide. Thinking it could go a bit smaller for BIAB but not sure.

Hey guys,

Do you cut the supplied handle to make the bit that goes into a drill so you can drill power this mill or is there something else that can be used?

Hey guys,

Do you cut the supplied handle to make the bit that goes into a drill so you can drill power this mill or is there something else that can be used?
You could do that, I just use a very short dyna-bolt.. not perfect but works.

Hey guys,

Can use a spade bit as well. Problem with cutting down the handle or using spade bit, is that it will eventually strip the drive. Dyna bolt works best, but make sure it is level.

The one I have came with a drive that goes in my drill. It was made by the looks of it from a big screwdriver cut in half and then the plastic handle had removed (this is the end that goes into drive the mill. I’ll take a photo of it when I get home tonight.

Hey guys,

That's what I did with mine, I had the handle straightened at a machine shop and cut off to become a drill bit, so it plugged in perfectly, and it lived in the drill for about six years. Recently the two "lugs" wore off so I filled the hole with epoxy putty, tapped the "handle" remnant back in and now it resides full time in the mill. Still works fine but a bit wobbly now.

Retiring it shortly and getting a mini mill in the bulk buy.

Has anyone has an issue with grain not being able to pass through? Last weekend, I was using voyager compass pale as a base malt and could barely get any to pass through the rollers with the biggest gap possible. Thankss to the guys at Hoppy Days, for getting us out of the jam on brew day..

Latest posts

Back