How Much Pressure Can A Cube Hold ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donburke

Reaction score
i was wondering if its possible to use a cube as a keg ?

ok, here's the thought,

after fermentation transfer to secondary ferment in a cube with less priming sugar than normal to have less pressure and produce a less carbonated beer, chill and then drink it all in one go at a party

will this work or will I be looking for my mop and bits of exploded plastic ?

great, thanks for the quick reply

did you have any trouble with leaking taps ?

Now that's just over-the-top interesting that is!

So if I was to get hold of some of the little 10L water cubes, only bottle half of a batch (I individually prime anyway) and put the other half into the little cube, filled to the top and sealed, could I potentially keep a store of these half-batch cubes? Then, a couple of weeks prior to a big shindig, crack it open, add sugar, and reseal. Wait. Then pour from a fermenter tap???

I would presume that the little 10L cubes would be more rigid - less bending in the sides. and thus possibly higher carbonation. Judging by the pics in that link, this could be the ultimate in cheap kegging setups. I love it! :beerbang: If this works, I'm going to start brewing non-stop and build up a decent party supply.

qantumbrewer, sounds like a plan,

i might try it first with a cheapo farmland lager in case it all goes pear shaped

I wouldn't be storing it for any length of time. I have a beer for the next real ale fest and it's not fermented yet. Will only need about a week in the cube and will be all consumed in one day. Unless you could keep these 10L jerrys of yours cold, of course.

A bit OT maybe, but I noticed an advertisement for this in BYO the other day Party Pigs and am a bit curious. Has anyone ever used one?

cheers

Grant

I wouldn't be storing it for any length of time. I have a beer for the next real ale fest and it's not fermented yet. Will only need about a week in the cube and will be all consumed in one day. Unless you could keep these 10L jerrys of yours cold, of course.
So it wouldn't last in a cube? I could fill up the bottom of my drinks fridge and keep them cold, so it'd essentially be a really long cold-conditioning. Depending on just how cold they need to be kept, I could also make use of the separate freezer section of my fermenting fridge (not constantly cold enough to freeze anything, but nonetheless cold).
A kegging setup is certainly on the list of things to get, but I'm wondering if this is the more suitable party option, plus a stopgap until kegs.

Just buy a keg set-up Grant.

+2. Best move I ever made.

Remember to remind SWMBO of how fewer bottles will be lying about, less space, etc....

Yet to taste my first AG though, so I am hoping that will be THE best move I ever made... :icon_cheers:

Due to interest on my part, I'm steering this thread back on topic... anyone else had experience with carbonating in a cube and serving?

Back