How Long Has It Taken Ahb Users To Go From K&k To Full Blown Rims/

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Ive been wondering how long it has taken AHB users to go from K&K > BIAB > 3 TIER all the way to a fully blown RIMS/HERMS setup.

Reason being, I seem (over the last year and a half(ish....)) to have gone from Kits to kits and bits to single vessel biab to now 3 vessel setup. im feeling pretty confident to what im doing at the moment and wish to take the next step (and honestly i like playing with taps and other bits n pieces as i go :D ) .

I have been dropping the hint this year for some cash for my birthday so i can get some brewing equipment like a good elec element and at least a march pump and then maybe i can play around with a herms/rims setup. At the moment i have a electric keggle, a esky tun, and a 65Ltr pot for my boils, an absolute tonne of 1/2" copper tube and various elbows and tee's, etc so in my opinion the only thing im missing is the pump and a wang-load of spare time......

So, how long has it taken all you herms/rims players :p to get to where you are now? Is what i am doing common? Or am i just getting too cocky too fast?

Cheers!

Ive been wondering how long it has taken AHB users to go from K&K > BIAB > 3 TIER all the way to a fully blown RIMS/HERMS setup.

Reason being, I seem (over the last year and a half(ish....)) to have gone from Kits to kits and bits to single vessel biab to now 3 vessel setup. im feeling pretty confident to what im doing at the moment and wish to take the next step (and honestly i like playing with taps and other bits n pieces as i go :D ) .

I have been dropping the hint this year for some cash for my birthday so i can get some brewing equipment like a good elec element and at least a march pump and then maybe i can play around with a herms/rims setup. At the moment i have a electric keggle, a esky tun, and a 65Ltr pot for my boils, an absolute tonne of 1/2" copper tube and various elbows and tee's, etc so in my opinion the only thing im missing is the pump and a wang-load of spare time......

So, how long has it taken all you herms/rims players :p to get to where you are now? Is what i am doing common? Or am i just getting too cocky too fast?

Cheers!

Started brewing about 18 odd years ago with K&K/toucans and then last year I "discovered" AG brewing, skipped the BIAB bit and just went three vessel AG, at this point I don't see much need to expand that into the HERMs/RIMs sphere of things, but time will tell.

One thing is for certain it won't be soon, I blew my years discretionary spending money last weekend on my kegging setup (Thanks Crusty, it was a hit at my B-day party Saturday!), so not only don't I have the dosh left to go HERMs/RIMs, but I have so much to learn about kegging I don't think I need another challenge for a bit! LOL

how long ?

... kinda reminds me of my other hobbies...

Dollars + Time = New things to learn (and buy) !!

:D

I started K+K in August 2008, extract in December 2008, BIAB in March 2009, 3V in October 2009. Currently planning my HERMS build with a view to have it built by June.

About 20 years for k&k to BIAB, haven't got to 3V yet but collecting parts.

QldKev

I started K+K in August 2008, extract in December 2008, BIAB in March 2009, 3V in October 2009. Currently planning my HERMS build with a view to have it built by June.

So there ARE people who go from BIAB to 3V !!!!!!

Personally I was K&B for about 10 years, then 3V. Once someone gave me the basics - [which were actually fairly wrong....] - I took about a year getting bits and pieces together. Once I found this site I learnt why my AG was so variable. All good now though.

Edit: @OP havent gone to RIMS (or HERMS). Would like to, but not sure I need to.

I started K&K in October 2008 and by April 2009 I had gone 3V and skipped Partials and BIAB. Also got a kegging setup in there somewhere.

But now with a mortgage I think the only addition I'll make this year will be a whirlpool immersion chiller dealy (have a 1,000L rainwater tank at my new house).

I have a tendency to get a new hobby, go nuts then loose interested. Brewing is so far the hobby that has kept me around the longest.

i started with the kits about 2 years ago and came into the three tier system about september last year.
never really did partials or BIAB.
currently upgrading my 3 tier system so i can do double batches. probably stay there for a while.
murray

Began extract brewing, making my first about 1967 from bulk light and dark malt extract. Then to kits on and off until 2005, 3V system in 2006, HERMS in 2007. But things are still evolving, I like playing with taps and electronics and stuff too :lol:

Screwy

Probably around 6 or so years from k n k to HERMS. Was about 12 months between kits and AG. Lots of little bits and pieces in between, but as Screwy said, things always get changed or re-jigged, plus there's always another bit ortwo to add to the setup...

Cheers

After 7 years of KnK it took me less than a month to move to Full Mash after finding AHB. Yes it was a dodgy system/set up but made some bloody good beer. Almost 2 years on and I would have to say that HERMS will be part of my system within the next 12 months, although I must say that I will only be moving towards HERMS to lessen the workload on brewday NOT to try and make better beer. If the result brings better beer then that will be a bonus!

Cheers Brad

I started brewing kits in 96, continued for 5 years, had 6 years drinking megaswill, took up kits again in 07, better kits and partials in 08, All grain in 09 (3V infusion), moving to herms now

Never going back, never had better beer, love the tinkering, building, modifying, and the brewing. Creating something tasty from raw materials, cannot beat it

So there ARE people who go from BIAB to 3V !!!!!!
Not me though! :D I went from kits through K&B to extracts in a couple of months, did a couple of those then decided stovetop BIAB was worth a whirl. That was a year and a bit ago, through 50- odd batches. Have always had a couple of stainless firkins in the shed to go 3-V but haven't really seen the need, I'm more than happy with BIAB.
Personally I was K&B for about 10 years, then 3V. Once someone gave me the basics - [which were actually fairly wrong....] - I took about a year getting bits and pieces together. Once I found this site I learnt why my AG was so variable. All good now though.

Edit: @OP havent gone to RIMS (or HERMS). Would like to, but not sure I need to.
+1! I might fart around with a RIMS for those firkins one day, but only when I'm really bored and have nothing better to do, really digging BIAB to be honest. At the domestic home- brewing scale, I don't think the progression necessarily has to go from BIAB to 3-V at all. These days it seems to much easier, information is only a few mouse clicks away and thankfully folks have been keen to share their own experiences, be they good, bad or indifferent.

k+k to herms in under a year and about 10 brews lol. herms is a wank though, in regular 3V for the past 2 years and loving it.

for me, 10/2009 kegs and K+K, then better kits and FWRT, then 1/2010 BIAB, and slowly collecting things to go to 3V(HERMS)

Took me about 10 months to go from K&K to BIAB and I dont see 3V or HERMS/RIMS as ever becoming a possibility in the future either while im living in a shoebox house.

I will say that my move from BIAB to 3V was purely due to no longer enjoying brew days due to bag lifting and having a long term vision towards HERMS (Again, it's more the ease of brewday/urge to build something) that has driven me towards HERMS.

I must say that I will only be moving towards HERMS to lessen the workload on brewday NOT to try and make better beer.

just made mine more difficult...stupid fiddly thing, hate it! I think im the minority with that view though :p

Latest posts

Back