How Long Has It Taken Ahb Users To Go From K&k To Full Blown Rims/

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it. Too cocky for what?

Mate if you want to improve your beer and upgrade your set up, just do it. You don't need permission from us.

Some brewers I know went straight to all-grain in a temp-controlled 3V set up and skipped the kits and bits learning period because they heard it makes better beer and sounded like fun. Horses for courses.

- Snow.

I'm definetly not asking for anyones permission here at all Snow! before i posted this thread i was just wondering how long it took people to get from from the basic (IMHO) kits to what some probably consider (like me) the "end-of-the-line" rims/herms setup (if theres something past RIMS/HERMS i'd love to read about it). I'm hoping to get a march pump and a couple of bits'n'pieces after my birthday this year and give the herms thing a real go! I agreed with brad before when he said that he wanted to go herms NOT FOR BETTER BEER but for a piss-easy brewday, and if he got better beer out of it it was just a bonus! This is where i want to be at the end of the year!

I took about 8-10 months from kk to ag. That is "full blown" as far as I am concerned.
I have a herms option in my system but it is a convenience rather than improvement.
Should do a poll on how many posts between going on ahb and going ag!

Confused.

All grain is probably cheaper than partials in terms of ingredients and if you are BIAB then you are all grain (unless you're doing partial biab mashes) without any expensive equipment.

BIAB is an all grain method.

I mash about 3KG of grain (Including any crystal, munich, other speciality grains)
(BIAB in my 19L BIGW stockpot)

Then add LDME to make up the final gravity (typically 1KG)

I think that makes me a partial masher

????

One year K + K Then K+B for a year
Last three years partials.. Don't think I'll bother to go the full all grain (Can't bear to wait to bring 30L of water to mash temp then boil temp for 60mins plus) Plus all the expense for All grain
Started out with Modified Esky - now just do BIAB - Brilliant !!
Love all grain flavour - without the fuss...
So simple and cheap - Bit of "net curtain" from and 19L stockpot from BIGW !!!
(OK I had to buy a thermometer too...)

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest you weren't a partial masher. However the way you refer to 'not being bothered' and 'all the fuss' when you are using an AG method and only around 1kg less grain for a full/regular strength brew is a bit confusing.

You're close to full grain, using a full grain method and I doubt you're spending any less on anything than any other stove top BIABer.

If you meant all the expense for 3 vessel or HERMS or something that would make more sense.

Did about 6 kits/ kits & bits, another 6 extract brews, then 3V AG since 2007.
I have only a simple 3V set up, but it's been redesigned to a 4 tier system to take the lifting out of it by using gravity all the way. The HLT gets refilled with water from the immersion chiller, and it sits there in readiness for the next brew.
I won't ever change my system now, money is not endless as a self-funded retiree.
I'm very happy with the beer I make, in 23 litre batches. I bottle all my beer, and I actually enjoy the bottling process. There's something satisfying about seeing 30 longnecks sitting on the bench after a bottling session. I usually leave them there for a day or two to gloat over, before storing them in the beer cellar.

I did three cooper's tins, and went straight into all-grain BIAB after about 3 months thanks to the brilliant information on this site.

I love the elegant simplicity of BIAB. If I moved towards a more automated system my first inclination would be to keep the BIAB approach. I like the way, for instance, the voile substitutes the need for the husks to perform the task of filtering, allowing for a more aggressive crush, and the effects of using full water volume on extracting sugars. I don't like squeezing the bag (ok, it isn't that big a deal), and maybe i'll set up a really simple kind of press. I dunno. Must have a close look at Razz's setup and see if i'm inspired.

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest you weren't a partial masher. However the way you refer to 'not being bothered' and 'all the fuss' when you are using an AG method and only around 1kg less grain for a full/regular strength brew is a bit confusing.

You're close to full grain, using a full grain method and I doubt you're spending any less on anything than any other stove top BIABer.

If you meant all the expense for 3 vessel or HERMS or something that would make more sense.

I agree with you Manticle... I am "near" all grain -

but

I just can't cope with the volume and extra time...(my partial is in the cube before the wife is up on a Saturday morning - works to keep the "leader of the opposition" under control)

;)

What I meant was I don't think I'd stray from BIAB method (It is simple and brilliant, and produces great beer)

However I would say a 19L pot from BIGW at about $20 is a bit cheaper than going to a 30+L pot (and the gas is cheaper too as bring 15-18L water to mash temp then boil temp and does take less time - ( I only use the BBQ burner I would struggle to get 25-27L to mash then boil - which would mean another investment in turkey fryer )

Although I agree with you I do pay more for that last kilo of dry malt (about 2x in fact) it is worth paying an extra 4$ for the minimal investment I made up front - Horses for courses I guess?

And - yes "all the fuss" I was referring to is a three vessel setup - Mash tun, hot licquor tank, boil kettle, immersion chiller, HERMS RIMS etc...

I don't think I ever go that far BIAB is the best invention ever...

Cheers

:icon_cheers:

2 years on and off Kits not really knowing what i was doing..
then last year (2009) moved to AG.. never looked back. Now planning a HERMS addition to my 3V setup..

Back