How Long Has It Taken Ahb Users To Go From K&k To Full Blown Rims/

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just using a 3V esky mash tun set up, but aspire to have a HERMS in a few years. I had been KnK and Extract and steeping grains for about 7 years and had no idea about All Grain. It seemed so out of reach. After finding this amazing site last year, I had my first All Grain down within 5 months.

Cheers, John. :beer:

I haven't gone to RIMS/HERMS yet but I have gone from K&B to Extract to 3 Tier AG in 3 batches. It isn't difficult and the time commitment isn't that big.

just made mine more difficult...stupid fiddly thing, hate it! I think im the minority with that view though :p

Actually Sammus I have seen the downside of march pumps and HERMS at brewdays. And I wonder why the fock would I want to. But then I am over filling and transfering multiple pots during the brewday. So once I have saved=(stashed) the funds I will grab a pump and go from there.

Cheers Brad

AG is AG, whether its BIAB, 3tier, or fancy pants RIMS/HERMS.

The only difference is the bling factor. I like that my AG setup is just a plain old esky and braid, a few HLT's ( pots! ), and a keggle and 3 ring. Pretty happy with my beers.

I do appreciate the bling guys though, some of them look sweet, im just saying that AG is AG no matter which setup you use. Great beers can be made with a ghetto setup, or a fancy pants bling setup.

^Yes.

I think the main attraction for me of some of the most complicated systems is the idea that the brewers actually built them so it's the building aspect that becomes exciting. I love the idea of building things although finishing my 3v system and manufacturing my own weldess brewstand will probably be enough for me. Electronics and circuit boards is probably not another distraction I need.

I started with two kitchen pots, an esky and a woodfired weber barbecue. The system was a pain in the arse and not sustainable forever but it made me some fine beers while I gathered the funds and time to make it better. It's still the same esky with a big pot and gas burner so upgrades happen entirely dependent on cash and time for me.

To answer the first part of the question (not rims or herms and not sure whether I will be), I did a few kits for a year back when the last world cup was on (2008??), left it for a few months, found this website and did some more research then went extract, partial to AG in a matter of months. First AG was maybe September 2009.

Started K&K circa 2000 with my mate next door. Lasted about 1 year. Back into it in 2008 and went from K&B for 6mths then to extract/bits. Stopped again and then started up October last year with a 50L keggle BIAB. Bloody fantastic. Now about 15 AG brews under the belt and its going oh so smoothly. Just need a bigger pot to do doubles. Beer making is bloody simple. KISS

As an update, I starter at the keg -u-brew type places in 93, did that for a couple of years, then went to live in Canada in 97. did that whilst I lived there and then stopped, I then saw a friends place who had taps and I thought must do that. Then when I bought my freezer, the guy I bought it from did AG, I had one and knew I would be AG soon :).

I am only looking at 3V so I can do double batches (too may brews, no time), I'm only looking at HERMS as I like to play/build and start many projects (normally don't finish too many :) )

i started k&k in about may 08 then found this forum in june and tried k&bits, then shortly after that started doing mini mash.
in about june last year i started slowly building a 3v rig and i think i did my first brew on it in october last year and have not looked back.
i dont plan on doing anything else in the near future im happy with my 3v gravity fed system atm.
i think if i hadnt found this forum i probably wouldnt brew anymore as i was never all that impressed with the k&k, especially when you follow their instructions on the first brew :icon_vomit:

cheers,

stewart

I went straight to 3V AG bucket-o-death style.
Now BIAB in a 70L BB SS kettle but looking to go back to 3V eventually - but loving the simplicity of BIAB for now (whilst the funds recover from MM-2.0-SS, 1HP 240V motor, 70L SS kettle, couple of temp controllers, fermenting fridge and a ton of cash on font parts - still awaiting fabrication...)

I started brewing about 2-3 months after I joing AHB. I've done a couple of kits and they've both ended up watering the garden.

For me it was 6 months basic kits, then 6 months kits & bits, and I am now collecting the bits for a 3 vessel single level HERMS rig.

When people talked all grain I was always a bit nervous, but then watched a few how to clips on you tube, and realised I could probably pull it off.

I now have the pots, and a stand, and when I have a burner might do a couple of BIAB's just while I am waiting to get the rest of the gear, although I do have the ingredients for another 6 kits & bits brews to use up.

Part of the attraction for me of the 3v build is definately in the planning and making of it. I am enjoying all the reading, researching, planning etc.

Also keeps me out of the house and in the shed!!

i was also confused when i read about ag for a while.
it wasnt until i went to steve's house (from this forum) and he showed me how to do an ag brew that i realised it wasnt as complicated as i'd thought.
but now im in the same boat as komodo, as ive bought a shitload of stuff so i think i might leave it as is for a while and just brew
:icon_cheers:

Started K & K in the 90's for a few years. Give it away for 15+ years. Started again in Aug 2009. Extract after 1 month. AG with BIAB 1 month ago. Will stick with this for a while as my brews are OK. Got into kegging as well so need to hold back the cash outlay for a while.
Cheers
David

I agree with Razz. Info flow/availability. First kit in 1996. Cooped kits by the instructions. Bar a few experiments. Brewed 2 yrs then 10yr break. Into kit then kits and bits and then to extract within 8months. Extract for under a year while got ag rig ready(convieniance rather than lack of knowledge) the ag within 2 yrs. Rims coming proly 2 years from
now. No real need so no real rush.

It's so easy to get the info u need now Adays it's insane. If ur good u could go from k&k to ag in 12 months or if u understand brewing start in ag. He'll go k&k to microbrewery in 4 yrs.

One year K + K Then K+B for a year
Last three years partials.. Don't think I'll bother to go the full all grain (Can't bear to wait to bring 30L of water to mash temp then boil temp for 60mins plus) Plus all the expense for All grain
Started out with Modified Esky - now just do BIAB - Brilliant !!
Love all grain flavour - without the fuss...
So simple and cheap - Bit of "net curtain" from and 19L stockpot from BIGW !!!
(OK I had to buy a thermometer too...)

Couple of years ago I got back into kits after a few years off, joined the forum and within a couple of weeks ended up at a brewday where I saw the AG process and sampled its delights. It's all been downhill after that :icon_drunk:
Really can't see myself building a rims or herms at this stage, I've very happy with my process thus far and really believe that the key to good beer is in the fermentation, so will be expanding my control over the yeast, before I expand my control over the water.

cheers

grant

One year K + K Then K+B for a year
Last three years partials.. Don't think I'll bother to go the full all grain (Can't bear to wait to bring 30L of water to mash temp then boil temp for 60mins plus) Plus all the expense for All grain
Started out with Modified Esky - now just do BIAB - Brilliant !!
Love all grain flavour - without the fuss...
So simple and cheap - Bit of "net curtain" from and 19L stockpot from BIGW !!!
(OK I had to buy a thermometer too...)

Confused.

All grain is probably cheaper than partials in terms of ingredients and if you are BIAB then you are all grain (unless you're doing partial biab mashes) without any expensive equipment.

BIAB is an all grain method.

Only been brewing since mid last year :) did half a dozen K&B's, 3 extracts, and now onto BIAB in ma 19L Big W pot, did 4th brew on Sunday (pomegranate ale)

Planning on going full size BIAB in a 50L stock pot, no plans from there yet :)

Ive been wondering how long it has taken AHB users to go from K&K > BIAB > 3 TIER all the way to a fully blown RIMS/HERMS setup.

Reason being, I seem (over the last year and a half(ish....)) to have gone from Kits to kits and bits to single vessel biab to now 3 vessel setup. im feeling pretty confident to what im doing at the moment and wish to take the next step (and honestly i like playing with taps and other bits n pieces as i go :D ) .

I have been dropping the hint this year for some cash for my birthday so i can get some brewing equipment like a good elec element and at least a march pump and then maybe i can play around with a herms/rims setup. At the moment i have a electric keggle, a esky tun, and a 65Ltr pot for my boils, an absolute tonne of 1/2" copper tube and various elbows and tee's, etc so in my opinion the only thing im missing is the pump and a wang-load of spare time......

So, how long has it taken all you herms/rims players :p to get to where you are now? Is what i am doing common? Or am i just getting too cocky too fast?

Cheers!

I don't get it. Too cocky for what?

Mate if you want to improve your beer and upgrade your set up, just do it. You don't need permission from us.

Some brewers I know went straight to all-grain in a temp-controlled 3V set up and skipped the kits and bits learning period because they heard it makes better beer and sounded like fun. Horses for courses.

- Snow.

Did 1 K&K about this time last year - May 2009
Partial - June 2009
FWKs - June 2009
A few stove top BIABs - June- August 2009
Full volume BIAB - September 2009
Haven't really changed anything from then... still consider it the best beer I ever made. I only do about 1 batch a month (doubles) BIAB fits my requirements and keeps my kegs reasonably full. As much as I would love to have more automation/control, I don't really see it as a priority.

I'll admit that lifting and squeezing the bag is a pain. But the end result is worth it IMHO. I reckon i'll stick with BIAB for a long time. If i was to change things it's probably be a decent brew stand and maybe... maybe... a second keggle so i can do side by side batches.

Have even been considering going to an urn setup to simplify things a little further too.

Back