Hot Water Heater Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrell.wallace

Reaction score
Hi all,

A question about a hot water heater element.

Can they be wired to a power chord so that they can be plugged into a power point.

I got an element from my old electric hot water system when i upgraded. it is a 2400 watt element and it in perfect working order. I would like to wire this directly into my HLT as it does have a thermostat control and would make it easier in the long run.

any tips or experiences would be great (even if you tell me its not a good idea)

Thanks

Darrell

Shouldn't be an issue. Might have trouble finding someone licenced to wire it, but that hasn't stopped anyone on here before :D

It will work but there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

- Use a heavy duty extension lead that has 2.5m2 cable
- Connect to a circuit that does not have a lot of other things pluged in. Dont want it tripping your circuit breaker all the time
- I would connect it through an RCD box to be safe. These are available from electrical wholesalers
- Make sure you earth your HLT

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

i wired up my 2KW element to a power cord and it works grest. Not bad considering im a chef by trade

Hi all,

A question about a hot water heater element.

Can they be wired to a power chord so that they can be plugged into a power point.

I got an element from my old electric hot water system when i upgraded. it is a 2400 watt element and it in perfect working order. I would like to wire this directly into my HLT as it does have a thermostat control and would make it easier in the long run.

any tips or experiences would be great (even if you tell me its not a good idea)

Thanks

Darrell

It As been said many times before, if you dont know what you are doing get an electrician to do it!!!!

electrocuted body doesnt smell nice.....

dont take your chances, no way back......

cheers amita

Hot water elements dont really lend themselves to having leads attached,as they are designed to be hard wired/mounted to a terminal block, of course you could be dodgy and do it, but it is not recommended...

Do you want it to be removable...??? like an imershion( oohh thats BAD spelink ) heater..??

It would be best to have it hard mounted in the HLT

And please...do not do a plastic bucket-of-death.....

Hot water elements dont really lend themselves to having leads attached,as they are designed to be hard wired/mounted to a terminal block, of course you could be dodgy and do it, but it is not recommended...

Do you want it to be removable...??? like an imershion( oohh thats BAD spelink ) heater..??

It would be best to have it hard mounted in the HLT

And please...do not do a plastic bucket-of-death.....
Technically a plastic bucket is probably safer than a metal HLT with an element wired in it. So long as it's wired carefully and correctly with sound waterproof connections and a damn good seal where the element goes into the tank, it should work just like a bloody big kettle. If you don't know how to do all of that safely (And I mean know, not just reckon you could have a crack), then refer to my sig.

As an aside, this:
Slash_(Saul_Hudson)-12482.jpg

is a power chord.

This:
power-cord-glow.jpg

is a power cord.

Intended to have it hard wired into my HLT and not as an immersion element, I aslo intended to have a sparkie do it but wasn't sure that it could be done. I have an old stainless pot that i use as my HLT. my brother is a boiler maker so will install tap and element for me.

Intended to have it hard wired into my HLT and not as an immersion element, I aslo intended to have a sparkie do it but wasn't sure that it could be done. I have an old stainless pot that i use as my HLT. my brother is a boiler maker so will install tap and element for me.

Well that is a different situation....basically you are making a small water heater, which is the best way to do it......IMHO :)

All you need to do is fabricate the mount in the kettle, and away you go...there is a standard for the design..but I cant be bothered finding and posting it....but it wont be hard to get the engineering drawings...

If only we all had brothers/friends/neighbours that are sparkies or boilermakers....strange how they all like beer as well.... :D

If the plastic can't handle the temperature you probably shouldn't be using it in the brewery :)

If you can't stand the heat...

If the plastic can't handle the temperature you probably shouldn't be using it in the brewery :)

If you can't stand the heat...

Yeah I suppose..

The first time I put a plastic bucket on my 3 ring burner, I worked out that maybe it wasnt the right material... :huh:

Well, there's a benefit of an all electric system - no temperatures above 100C, anywhere.

Yeah..but some here on this forum said it was fine to do boils in a plastic bucket...

Now I am confused.....maybe .... :(

I thought it was possible to boil in a bag. Isn't that what BIAB is all about :ph34r:

Yeah..but some here on this forum said it was fine to do boils in a plastic bucket...

It is fine. What's your kitchen kettle made out of? In an electric system, the temperature can't go above 100C. So long as your plastic is rated to temperatures above 100, you can quite happily shove an element in it and use it as a kettle.

Now I am confused....If I get a plastic bucket and put an element in it and then use it on the gas stove it will be fine?

Technically a plastic bucket is probably safer than a metal HLT with an element wired in it.

Does this dispel the myth that water is a good conductor :lol:

Technically an equasion attributed to physicist Georg Ohm, around the 1820's stands to provide sound evidence to the contrary. :lol:

yeah OK V=IR, but how does this then work with gas, does Boyles law work its way in here some how?

Ah I think I got it the B in BIAB is actually referring to Boyles law.

Latest posts

Back