Hot Water Heater Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah OK V=IR, but how does this then work with gas, does Boyles law work its way in here some how?

Ah I think I got it the B in BIAB is actually referring to Boyles law.

BIAB= Boyles in A Bucket.....

It all makes perfect sense.... :)

yeah OK V=IR, but how does this then work with gas, does Boyles law work its way in here some how?

Ah I think I got it the B in BIAB is actually referring to Boyles law.

Yeah, your onto it Kirk, but I think the B has something to do with BTU. Used to think early hopping was associated with Fukcing Hot Wort.

Please...just dont mention No-Chill..

I am still trying to remove melted plastic from my 3-ring burner...

Well after I melted my bucket on my 3 ring burner, I swore it was the last time I was ever going to drink beer that wasnt chilled...

In an electric system, the temperature can't go above 100C. So long as your plastic is rated to temperatures above 100, you can quite happily shove an element in it and use it as a kettle.

Actually, wort boils at a few degrees over 100C, but yeah, your point is still valid.

Technically the steam will be slightly hotter than that again, but a little bit of clearance between the element and the plastic would prevent this from becoming an issue.

BIAB= Boyles in A Bucket.....

You have nailed it, I was thinking the I or A was the electricity component. Live and learn I suppose :)

On a serious note, my wort has never boiled over 96degC. If I turn up the power it does boil a lot harder but the temperature doesn't move. In fact as the water evaporates the boiling temperature gets lower.

I'll try a plastic bucket and see if that is the problem. Now does the colour matter, I think we have a red and blue one that we use for mopping. :ph34r:

Technically the steam will be slightly hotter than that again, but a little bit of clearance between the element and the plastic would prevent this from becoming an issue.

I have done about 15 brews in my electric plastic system and no probs so far.

Stu, the reason your bucket melted on the 3 ring burner is that you actually have to put your hand in between the bucket and the rings - this causes the heat to disperse and allows a much better plastic boil - there will be a slight smell, but it generally does away around about the same time you pass out :)

On a serious note, my wort has never boiled over 96degC. If I turn up the power it does boil a lot harder but the temperature doesn't move. In fact as the water evaporates the boiling temperature gets lower.

I would say your thermometer is wrong - how can water boil below 100c when the boiling point of water is 100c?

I would say your thermometer is wrong - how can water boil below 100c when the boiling point of water is 100c?

Because it is a mixture of water and sugar. Same principle as used in distillation. I thought a water/sugar mixture increased the boiling temperature and water/alcohol lowered the boiling temperature.

Nothing wrong with my thermometer, checked with NATA accrediated lab at work :)

In any case I don't think the boiling temperature really matters in home brewing, as long as it maintains a nice rolling boil.

Except that, as PoMo just said, the boiling temperature of wrt is slightly higher than 100C. Your thermometer's drifted somewhat, or your lab's accreditation needs reviewing

I'll let the lab know that someone on ahb said their accreditation needs reviewing :rolleyes:

your probably right though, time to get my thermometer recalibrated or just get a new one.

well, that's kinda what I meant. Your thermometer's far more likely to have drifted than that the lab is wrong.

I'll let the lab know that someone on ahb said their accreditation needs reviewing :rolleyes:

your probably right though, time to get my thermometer recalibrated or just get a new one.

Just get the lab to obtain AHB accreditation......there are various members that will offer this service

Stu, the reason your bucket melted on the 3 ring burner is that you actually have to put your hand in between the bucket and the rings - this causes the heat to disperse and allows a much better plastic boil - there will be a slight smell, but it generally does away around about the same time you pass out :)

Yeah I tried that with an ex mate off mine, but found that I could get a rolling boil....he also cried a lot... :huh:

You have nailed it, I was thinking the I or A was the electricity component. Live and learn I suppose :)

I'll try a plastic bucket and see if that is the problem. Now does the colour matter, I think we have a red and blue one that we use for mopping. :ph34r:

Red ones always give a better BIAB boil

Back