Hops For Morgans Blue Mntn Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
All,

Would Saaz be fine for a Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, or should I stick to something like Tettnanger?

Looking for a nice crisp Lager with some extra flavour.

Other suggestions would be appreciated too.

Brownie

All,

Would Saaz be fine for a Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, or should I stick to something like Tettnanger?

Brownie
brownie

Have had good results using both Saaz and Hersbrucker although Halleteur ( can never spell this ) with 1 kg of LDM makes for a great Euro type Lager.

:super:

Redgums

Try about 12 to 15 grams of Hallertau Hop Pallets and 1.25 kg of an ultabrew blend or LME.

Mmm Yum

All,

Brownie

Hallertau is a good choice (european) but keeping it aussie ,ie generic lager.
Tetts,and or saaz will give it a euro character,(hienys/becks etc..)

The crispiness will come from the yeast choice and apropriate ferm temps.

Saaz would be a fine selection to go in your lager. So would hallertauer, tettnanger or hersbrucker.

If you want to make an Australian lager, then you will be looking for some Pride of Ringwood.

500gms dextrose, 500gms malt would be a good combination for your kilo addition. For extra hop flavour, boil the 500gms malt in a few litres of water with 10gms of your hops for 30 minutes. After 20 minutes boiling, add another 10 gms and just before you switch the boiler off add another 10 gms. Chill and add to your fermenter.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Morgans kits have a true lager yeast, so keep the ferment around 18 degrees if you can, or splash out and buy a dried lager yeast and ferment down near 10 degrees.

I would go with 20gm of Hallertau dry hopped with 1kg of LDME and Saflager or Daflager W37/40??

Saflager S-23 will be used as is my standard for lagers atm.

Was thinking (only cause I have some handy), of using both Saaz and tettnanger.

Would this be bad?

The recipe will be something like this:

Morgans Blue Mntn Lager
Coopers BE1 (50/50 Dex and Maltodex) 1kg
400g LDME
SAAZ and or Tettinger HOPS
SafLager S-23 Yeat.

Brownie

Did this kit with 24g of cascade and safale s-04... Turned out great and all the mates have only had good comments!

Cheers,
Andrew

Have done this kit once with "hop tea" approx 15gms saaz pellets (2 rounded tsp) boiled 15 minutes in 1 litre of water, added same qty & steeped 5 mins, strained into fermenter with kit, 1 kg Coopers b/e 2 & another 2 litres of boiling water, used supplied yeast @ approx 22 degrees 14 days.
Into keg after 2 days chilling, crash carbonated & drinking in another 2 days.
Quick, easy & very tasty, disappeared quickly to universal acclaim from friends & neighbours.
Have another kit waiting for an empty fermenter.
Mark

Latest posts

Back