Hops and bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Ello all,

So short story long, I brewed a JS Hop Thief 7 clone using Kits and bits.

It came out pretty good with hops, maltiness and colour pretty dam close. The only issue is the bitterness in the aftertaste is all wrong and not as per the JS HT 7 which I put down to using a Coopers Aus Pale Ale can.

So Ive decided to perfect my clone I'll go all extract and control the bitterness in the brew with a 60 min hop boil. My question is...when boiling a hop for 60 mins are you getting much of the hops flavour through the wort or are you pretty much just bittering the wort and using late additions and dry hopping for aroma and flavour?

I can see Craftbrewer are selling selected 90gm bags for less than $4, would it matter what the hop was if my only intention was to use it for bittering?

Generally, yes, hops will impart flavour even when used for bittering. It's why neutral bittering hops like Magnum are favoured above high AA aroma hops like Galaxy, because Magnum imparts practically no flavour

Mostly bittering but depending on style and hop used, you'll get other characteristics. I always use hops appropriate for the beer - don't bitter a kolsch with chinook unless you want dank, pine resin in your kolsch.

No umlaut on my phone.

In my humble opinion, yes it will come through. Choose an appropriate hop but I'm sure a slightly elderly discounted hop from craftbrewer, who store them well, will be fine. I'm not a fan of the JS range, so can't advise on a hop type though. Have fun, you'll make much better beer all extract.

As above, I've had comments on judged beer of hop flavour when I'd only used a 60min 'bittering' addition.

Yes it imparts some flavour however not much and it really depends on hop type and quantity.

Lion beers almost all use Super Prides for bittering, if you cant get SP good old POR or any other fairly neutral bittering hop should do.
Mark

motman said:
In my humble opinion, yes it will come through. Choose an appropriate hop but I'm sure a slightly elderly discounted hop from craftbrewer, who store them well, will be fine. I'm not a fan of the JS range, so can't advise on a hop type though. Have fun, you'll make much better beer all extract.
I make an all extract Wheat Beer with a 60 min boil to infuse bitterness so definitely not a stranger to all extract...maybe just a little lazy with this brew, nobody to blame but myself.

Thanks all for the wisdom, much appreciated.

Cheers

Colo

Latest posts

Back