Hop To Combine With Por

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a hop that combines well with pride of ringwood? I recall reading somewhere of a hop that goes really well with POR but I'm dammed if I can find the refererence again or remember what it was.

The resaon being, is that I am looking to make an all extract Aussie style lager bittered with POR. However, I am considering a late hop addition for some aroma but am not sure what to use. I would consider a little POR at 5 mins but what other options do people suggest. The proposed recipe is as follows:

1.5 kg liquid malt extract
1 kg dry malt extract
100g dry wheat malt extract
25g POR @ 60 mins
w34/70

Never tried Galaxy but have hard good things.

Never tried Cluster but have heard bad things.

I'd probably go for a smaller, late POR addition as you described. Have a beer fermenting as we speak that featured POR additions at 60 and 15 mins...

No, not galaxy. It may have started with an 'H' -Hersbrucker, hallertau.. but not really sure.

Used Cluster in my Kit n Kilo days and it was good. Haven't used it in my AG career so can't comment. However I use POR and Superpride as 90 minute single addition hops in classic Aus lagers and pale ales and they work really nicely. Why do you want late hops? Aus breweries only add a single POR addition for most mainstream beer. If looking for a late addition for aroma then POR is not the best aroma hop, if not Cluster I would go with a tad of Galaxy or one of the NZ hops such as NZ Cascade or BSaaz .

Horizon is about the only other one...

...If looking for a late addition for aroma then POR is not the best aroma hop, if not Cluster I would go with a tad of Galaxy or one of the NZ hops such as NZ Cascade or BSaaz .
He's making an Aussie lager so fruity/citrusy hops would be out of style. I'd go with Hallertau or Hersbrucker but only 0.25 to 0.5 g/lt about 10 minutes from the end of the boil - puts it more in the premium end of the Aussie lager scale.

Cheers, Andrew.

Yup missed that Andrew, probably a German hop such as Hallertau along the lines of the imported hops used in Hahn Premium.

SAAZ

Coopers use it in their Mild ale with POR

Use the POR for bittering to about 25-30 IBU then add SAAZ for Aroma and Flavour to about 35 IBU...

SAAZ and wheat go rather well with POR. Keep your wheat to about 10% or less

POR is a great bittering hop, goes with most hops Im thinking!

The majority of people who tried my Pale Ale which used POR in bittering, aroma, and flavour additions thought it was Saaz instead. That there shows a decent compatibility between the two hops.

i quite like pale ales with POR bittering and late saaz additions...

I made an aussie lager not long ago.

90% LME
10% Dextrose
Cluster to 30IBU (60min and 30min additions)
W34/70 @ 10C

Reminiscent of XXXX varieties... IMO smoother and better than POR. It was a big hit amongst the in-laws who love XXXX Gold. I thought it was a little plain, give me an IPA any day.

Back