Hop Sock - Who Uses One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudfarmerboy

Reaction score
Hello All,
have been toying with the idea of puchasing a hop sock. Mainly because of the amount of hop debris I seem to collect in my fermenter when transferring from the kettle. I thought it may be an easier option compared to a strainer of some sorts in the kettle. Also, I wouldn't lose as much wort to the hop debris left behind in the kettle. I mainly use hop pellets.
Does anyone on the forum use one? If so, how do you use it and do you think it is effective?
Any thoughts welcome.
Thank You

I've always used a hop sock. All except flameout additions go in there, and I lift the sock at flameout.

I find it works well, but I do still get some hop particles coming through the material screen and into the final wort.

I've tried the 500 and 250 micron socks from Craftbrewer spudfarmerboy. The 500 micron lets more wort boil through and it's easier to drain than the 250.

When no chilling, would it make sense to chuck the flame out (aroma) additions into a hop sock, leave it for a minute or two, and then drain? Rather than cube or french press hopping?

When no chilling, would it make sense to chuck the flame out (aroma) additions into a hop sock, leave it for a minute or two, and then drain? Rather than cube or french press hopping?

Thats what I do - using a 500 micron hop sock (or dry hop into secondary).

Thanks Perry, another good reason why I should add one to my shopping list for January.

I use a 500mn sock, I was finding a little hop debrie come through but with a good whirlpool after wort is chilled (if you chill) very little transfers to the fermenter. I leave the sock in until I have finished chilling the wort.

I chose the 500 over the 250 mainly for flow through in the kettle.

Cheers,

Sean

I haven't bothered but recently used some sweetened dried orange peel in a recipe and just chucked it in like I do the hops.

And when the urn got clogged I suddenly realised the wisdom of using the things. With a hot tap I couldn't unclog it, so I ended up using a jug to scoop out the wort.

I certainly will from now on for dry hopping or flowers. Or sweetened bloody dried orange peel. (turned out a fantastic beer though).

I use teabag product called

T - Sac for dry hopping

They are bags made from teabag material

you put your hops in the bag fold it over , like an envelope , and add to fermenter for dry hop or to the hot brew

they are a bit fragile , but if you add them to hot brew at flame and fish them out before adding to the fermenter they are OK

They are available from tea houses

I use the normal size 500micron CB hop sock and have just upgraded after a few years to the jumbo 80cm long version. They are great for grain or hops if u cant afford a hop filter or r only doing kits and bits etc where u just want a little bit of grain.

I also used mine when making 'AG' Ginger beer. They are great

I personally reckon you dont get optimum results using a sock when compared to flowers directly in the wort boil.

Haven't done any scientific experiments to prove this, just my observation.

Gil.

when i started i did until i had a couple of batches with inconsistent bittering/flavour

I love my CB hop sock,have done over 3 years AG with a single sock.

I'm pretty sure,after 3 years, I get an extra 5 IBU just from putting the sock in the boil ;)

I dont use my sock anymore. I no chill and find with a really good whirlpool , no copper chiller in the way, I get sweet FA hops in the fermenters and cubes. Flowers or pellets.

Cheers

I use a hopsock of sorts for large amounts in the kettle but also for dry hopping.
I buy uncoloured ankle length stockings and give them a pre-boil to release any dye. I get quite a few uses before they get holes in them. Another cheap solution is to buy some muslin cloth & tie it in a ball then reuse.

Both work well for me.

Like the op I have been thinking of getting a hop sock as I no chill & want to buy a 30 plate mashmaster chiller

Last brew I used some termimesh around the pick up tube but I used plugs & also put my aroma hops straight in the cube before transfer

If I did buy one the 500 micron with the plastic opening looks the goods from craft brew.

Anyone use a stocking? I was going to dry hop my next brew with a cascade plug in a stocking. Last time I used a plug I just threw it in the fermenter and found the flowers clogged it a bit when I racked it so I was going to use the stocking just to keep things away from the tap.

I used to use one, then I just got lazy and figured that I never take the last 1.5L from the fermenter, what's the harm in that being hops???

These days I get two cubes out of my system, I use the 20L jerries from Bunnings, one tends to get clearer wort than the other (the 1st one obviously), then come pitching time I just lie them on their backs, swap the bungs for taps, connect the two taps with a piece of sanitised hose to level the two out, taps off, pitch yeast, clingwrap over one of the openings on the top and they both fit in the fermentation fridge.

I can tell the difference between the two beers, one is more "meaty" than the other if that makes sense. I find it an interesting way to look at the same beer, fermented in the same way, just different sections of the final boil volume being used....

Anyone use a stocking? ....,
Yup. For dry hopping I've used a plain no dyed stocking. Boiled it first to sterilize. I've also just thrown hops in for dry hopping as they shouldnt get into the keg/bottle if ur careful.

Latest posts

Back