Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.018 seems a little high. I'd bump the temp up a few deg, gentle swirl.
Try the fast ferment test, and even consider additional yeast.

So after being bottled for 2 weeks I decided to try a sample of this and oh my fucken god, it was terrific i'm so impressed by this recipe.

Is it bad that it's 10:15am and I'm thinking...'mmm it's been just about 4 weeks, I'm gonna smash another HH when I get home!'

bottled mine last night... very passion fruit smelling (compared to the previous boring pale ale i have done), which i assume is the citra and galaxy hops... wife said it 'smells like that beer you really like'..... well, thats a start ;)

How is this fellas, I took a couple of bottles of Hop Hogan into work for Friday BBQ and they were so blown away by how good this is they immediately asked if they could buy it off me. It gets better, the Hop Hog was in the fridge aswell so a side by side taste and smell comparison was done. And looks like the Hop Hogan won, this recipe is fuckin awesome!!!

cheers! :beerbang:

Funny, I gave my plumber a few bottles of my session style Hop Hogger (recipe @ post 67) a while back as a thank you for what was literally a shit job I needed done. A week later I got a call from him asking for more and willing to pay for it.

Most of the batch I have on at the moment is going to him in exchange for unblocking a series of pipes, that's about $35 worth of homebrew in exchange for $160 worth of plumbing work. But we're both happy with the arrangement so it's smiles all around.

I've played with the recipe a little though after my first attempt and this is what I have;

Hop Hogger
version 2.0
25lt Batch

2kg Liquid Pilsen Malt Extract
1.5kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
300g Carapils grains - cracked and steeped
5g Magnum @ 60min
15g Amarillo @ 15min
15g Cascade @ 10min
15g Centennial @ 10min
15g Citra @ 10min
15g Centennial @ 5min
15g Citra @ 5min
20g Galaxy @ 5min
10g Cascade - Dry hop
20g Simcoe - Dry hop
1lt starter of Wyeast American II liquid Yeast

I left out the light crystal I used last time to help get closer to the right colour and if I'd had more pilsen malt extract I would have used it exclusively in place of the light malt extract.

I'm using magnum at the 60 minute addition instead of Galaxy to help smooth out the bitterness a little and added the Amarillo at the 15 minute mark in place of the original galaxy at the 10min mark for the same reason.

I did however move the flameout hop additions from the original recipe back to the 5 minute mark (for a little added flavour) and replaced the Centennial and Citra in the dry hop with Simcoe. I feel almost certain Simcoe is dry hopped in Feral's HH.

Tastes and smells great out of the FV, I'm almost sorry that I'll be giving most of it away. We'll see how we go, I've got my last bottle of Version 1.0 set aside for the comparative tasting a few weeks after bottling. It should be fun :p

My work colleague drinks somewhere in Brisbane. He loves Hop hog. He was talking to the owner and he had some info on the hops in hop hog in a folder. Only going on what he said and have no reason to doubt him. Here they are:

- Warrior
- Chinook
- Centennial
- Galaxy
- Amarillo
- Cascade

HTH

WWDWD said:
Glad people are still interested in this! I've just brewed another batch that is very similar to the first one I put down but changed slightly due to my available ingredients. This is my first winter brew and I can't get my fridge up to 18C so looks like I'll be setting this down in the hall. The original recipe I put down is definitely a delicious beer (the best I have made so far) but there's still quite a way to go to match Hop Hog and I am keen on getting there. I wanna get some of those resin flavours next time... is Simcoe the best for that?

Anwyays, here's what I put down today. Upped the Galaxy cos I liked it and wanted a lil more of that fruitiness.

Ferment Vol: 21l

3kg Coopers Light Malt Liquid
200g Dextrose (wouldn't normally use dextrose but I was out of Dry Malt and wanted to up the alc a little bit)
200g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
15g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins

probably dry hop with whatever centennial and citra I have left and some galaxy

US-05

OG 1.041
what a great thread! just kicking back deciding my next brew and hope to work out an all grain version of this . Just an idea for getting your fridge up over 18 degrees, i have put a computer fan in the bottom of my fridge. the fan circulates the air around giving it an even temp throughout and also acts as a slight heater, i just have a temp controller that kicks the fridge in if it gets half a degree hotter than my set point . so it's pretty easy to keep your brew within half a degree of a certain temp.

cheers!

My second attempt has been in the bottle long enough now, I might pop it in the fridge and do another comparison in a few days...

Hi guys. My second attach at this seems to be a winner with my friends (and me). I'm loving the mix of hops and the balance of IBU's(46.9) vs sweetness. May not be exact clone but a worthy beer none the less. My recipe was post number 128. my hops schedule was as follows,

"7g simcoe @ 60 minutes ( Was originally going to use Magnum but never bought any when getting my ingredients)
15g galaxy centennial and simcoe @ 10 minutes
20g citra and amarillo @ 10 minutes

"Dry hopped with 15g each of amarillo simcoe centennial and cascade"

This will be my go to recipe for hop hog clone unless someone can convince me otherwise. I now have an order to fill a mates kegs! Good thing I have 2 fermentation vessels/temp controlled fridges!

That said I will bring the ABV down a little now that I've managed to match the 5.8% of the real thing. I know this make it less a clone but I prefer a bit lower ABV so I can have a few more!

10659443_10152347570906373_5190413397359267540_n.jpg

This is version 2 of my Hop Hogger. Recipe at post 167.

The smell is spot on, the Simcoe was the right choice there but the flavour isn't as close as my first attempt. It's still a delicious APA but it doesn't quite have that same fruity bite that the original has. If I do it again I would put the 10g of Galaxy back at 10 min and drop my 20g Galaxy addition back to 0 min again.

The colour is also well off despite dropping the crystal for Carapils, I'll stick to wheat and Pilsen malt for my third attempt too. Otherwise I am pretty damn happy with it.

I hope this helps everyone with their future attempts.

Got a 4 pack of the original this week on holiday and I have to confess that I prefer my version.
My 2nd batch was bottled a week ago so will be good to go when I get back home again.

Hey guys, novice brewer/first-time poster here, been reading this thread and thought I'd give it a bump seeing as I plan to make it my next brew. Couple of questions, be kind if they're really stupid.

I'm confused by the fact the liquid extract isn't boiled at all, just chucked straight into the fermenter at the end - from what I can see almost all other extract recipes call for it to be boiled for at least a period of time? I'm aware it's often said the full boil isn't necessary since extract is already essentially concentrated wort and can affect colour, but at the same time isn't it advised usually to add the liquid extract near the end of the boil to kill anything that might spoil your batch if chucked straight in the fermenter from the tin?

I'm also aware that the wort gravity has an effect on hop utilisation, which is possibly another reason this recipe has you boil with only the LDME, not liquid. To optimise this principle, is there any merit to the idea of boiling with only enough LDME and possibly some LM/wheat extract to reach a specific gravity and maximise hop utilisation? If so, what would this gravity be?

Cheers.

Hey mate,

Your best to add the balance of your extract with about 5 mins to go in the boil.

The optimal gravity for hop utilisation is 1.040 which can be achieved with approximately 100g of dry malt extract per 1L of water. I usually shoot for around 7L for a boil.

check this out: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/

Cheers!!

WWDWD i used your recipe on pot #30, been in the fermenter for 4 days and it smells incredible.

Will stick to your dry hop schedule also. I've read this entire thread and all the input is fantastic guys.

shacked said:
Hey mate,

Your best to add the balance of your extract with about 5 mins to go in the boil.

The optimal gravity for hop utilisation is 1.040 which can be achieved with approximately 100g of dry malt extract per 1L of water. I usually shoot for around 7L for a boil.

check this out: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/

Cheers!!
Thanks mate. Why then do most extract recipes have you boiling the LME for the duration of the 60 minutes?

I just add in whatever the spreadsheet tells me to at boil. Chuck the rest in the fermenter when everything else goes in.

Meanwhile Feral has 8 beers on tap today at Five Bar in Mt Lawley for Beaufort St festival. Perth people! Go to the scotto stage at 3pm to see my surf band. That's a shameless plug right there.

Put this one down yesterday according to the recipe on page 30.

All went fine apart from the fact I added the liquid malts to the boil for the last few minutes, which ended up requiring some additional time on the heat to dissolve, and I then chilled the pot in an ice bath but didn't have enough ice to really cool it down rapidly. So overall the wort was at a very high heat for a bit longer than desired, which I fear may have caused a more bitter, resinous nature as opposed to the fresh aromas the late-addition hops should add.

Straining was also futile with all the hop sludge so in the end it all had to go straight in the fermenter.

OG was 1.062, tad higher than I expected - could the fact that a bunch of hop solids were in the test sample and settled at the bottom of the hydro jar have affected this?

Back