Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWDWD

Reaction score
I wanna have a go at making a Hop Hog clone. Here’s my recipe so far (made with the help of Ian’s spreadsheet). Only my 6th or 7th brew… so please, any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wet Dogz' Hop Hog

1.5kg Light LME
1.5kg Wheat LME
500g LDME
400g Crystal grain
US05 yeast

20g Centennial @ 60mins

30g Centennial @ 5mins
30g Galaxy @ 5mins
30g Citra @ 5mins

20g Centennial dryhop
20g Galaxy dryhop
20g Citra dryhop

Boil: 4l
Final volume: 21l
Fermentation temp 18°C

IBU 47.7 vs. Hop Hog 48
ABV 5.9% vs. Hop Hog 5.8%
EBC 12 (perhaps a little light, but I’m cool with that… anyone know what hop hog is?)

From what i've read in the AG thread on this, a fair few of the people use 1272 for the yeast. US05 should also do well though, and if you have that on hand, maybe just go with that.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/55284-hop-hog-clone/

Have a look there. should give you some ideas on where to go with your recipe re hop combos.

I've been wanting to have a go at one of these when i get a spare FV. keep us posted on how it turns out.

Yeah, my wife was in Perth a couple of months back for my stepsons' investiture and she text me from a bar where she was having one. I think she sent a photo too. She does that, kinda thoughtful but just makes me want to go to the fridge.

It's amazing. My favourite beer at the moment. Especially from the tap

WWDWD said:
It's amazing. My favourite beer at the moment. Especially from the tap
One of my fav's too - love the fact I can just get it at Dan's too without having to look around for it.

How could I improve my hop additions? Do you think the 5minute additions are too short to give much flavour? Would it be better to move them around and do some 10 or 15minute additions?

I also have heaps of US Cascade hops.

10minute and 5 minute additions is what I would do. But then I have only been brewing better beer for a few months so may be wrong.

Looks Good. I recently did a recipe reasonably similar to this one (used the same combo of hops trying to make more of an APA style Hop Hog inspired brew). I've had a few of the beers so far and the aroma from these hops are phenomenal (I dry hopped 20g Centennial, 10g Citra and 5g Galaxy and it gives a great citrus/tropical fruit aroma). I think you might be on the right track with some 10 and 15 minute additions, maybe if you just redistributed some of your 5 min addition.
Keep us posted with how it goes, I may have to give your recipe a go sometime in the near future!

Yep, I think I will definitely redistribute the hops a little to get more flavour rather than just aroma. I'll need to meditate on a few Hop Hogs and mull it over to work out which flavours and/or aromas I'll need more of.

Too many possible combinations so many ways to do this. I heard Galaxy can be a bit overwhelming later in the boil/dryhopped so I reduced those amounts (albeit marginally) compared to the other hops. But then again, I haven't used galaxy before, maybe I'll like it overpowering the rest.

So here's my latest idea (without the benefit of a Hop Hog in hand)

IBU 48.9

10g centennial @ 60mins

20g galaxy @ 10mins
15g centennial @ 10mins
15g citra @ 10mins

15g centennial @ 5mins
15g galaxy @ 5mins
15g citra @ 5mins

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop
15g galaxy @ dryhop

For me I'd go:

(Enough bittering to add up to 50 IBU) @ 60

Hops @ 20
Hops @ 10

Dry Hop

This seems to work best for me as a no chiller. I made up an extract version for a mate of mine. Still waiting for the results. If its any good I'll make an AG version...

WWDWD said:
Too many possible combinations so many ways to do this. I heard Galaxy can be a bit overwhelming later in the boil/dryhopped so I reduced those amounts (albeit marginally) compared to the other hops. But then again, I haven't used galaxy before, maybe I'll like it overpowering the rest.
Yeah, I've had that experience with Galaxy previously (I dry hopped an APA with equal parts Citra and Galaxy and found that the Galaxy overpowered the beer- it was all tropical fruits with hardly any citrus). But, the centennial in there should give you a good balance with the aromas, and, to be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with this hop combination. Worst thing that can happen is that one hop overpowers the others (which isn't a bad thing at all, these are great hops), best thing is they blend together perfectly and you nail it.

Just for a reference point here's my hop schedule from my APA using these hops (came out at around 30 IBU):
13g Citra @ 60
10g Centennial @ 30
10g Citra @ 10
5g Galaxy @ 5
5g Citra @ 5
20g Centennial @ DRY HOP
10g Citra @ DRY HOP
5g Galaxy @ DRY HOP
I was sort of aiming for a bit of a Hop Hoggish flavour/aroma with this one (albeit in an APA) and it comes reasonably close (from memory, it's been a few of months since my last Hop Hog, which some may say is too long). It has a good citrus/tropical fruit aroma, but not so much tropical fruits in the taste. The galaxy isn't overpowering so I could probably ramp it up a bit especially in the flavour additions. One thing you may also want to consider is some 20/30 minute additions to get some more IBU's as well as some flavour which will reduce the amount of hops you need in the 5/10 minute additions as they may be a bit overpowering in large quantites. I also try to get at least half of my IBU's from my first addition so I'm not relying on the later additions for IBU's, just flavour).

That's just my 2 pesos (I'm about as experienced as you, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about :p ), but I reckon you just land on something you're happy with and go for it :ph34r: .

I dunno, I would stick to the op's original plan. 60 and 5 mins. Punchy and simples. Aroma town.

Tbh personally I would actually do 60 and whirlpool... And the dry hop of course.

Thanks for the tips guys.

What exactly does whirlpool mean?

So my ingredients finally arrived and I brewed this one last night. This is what I ended up going with. Thinking about bulk priming because my last beer didn't turn out carbed enough with Coopers Carb Drops. What do people recommend for this style of beer... 7g dextrose per litre?

I'll post back in 6 weeks with the results.

Ferment Vol: 21l

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with 700g Light Dry Malt

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop
10g galaxy @ dryhop

US-05 Yeast pitched at 20/22c

Fermenting now at 18c

Predicted OG 1.058 IBU 53.0
FG 1.014 EBC 9.1
%alc Keg 5.7 Bottle 6.1

Measured OG was actually 1.050 but I never really trust my hydrometer readings.

WWDWD said:
Thinking about bulk priming because my last beer didn't turn out carbed enough with Coopers Carb Drops. What do people recommend for this style of beer... 7g dextrose per litre?
Yeah, 7 g/L of dextrose will give you ~2.6 vols if the max temp the beer got to was 20 C. That's in the ballpark for most IPAs although my personal preference is a little lower at about 2.2 - 2.3 vols.

Brewing softwares usually have priming calculators and there are online options (Google "priming calculator") that are all easy to use. They're probably your best bet for future batches and they usually have suggested ranges for various beer styles.

WWDWD said:
So my ingredients finally arrived and I brewed this one last night. This is what I ended up going with. Thinking about bulk priming because my last beer didn't turn out carbed enough with Coopers Carb Drops. What do people recommend for this style of beer... 7g dextrose per litre?

I'll post back in 6 weeks with the results.

Ferment Vol: 21l

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with 700g Light Dry Malt

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop
10g galaxy @ dryhop

US-05 Yeast pitched at 20/22c

Fermenting now at 18c

Predicted OG 1.058 IBU 53.0
FG 1.014 EBC 9.1
%alc Keg 5.7 Bottle 6.1

Measured OG was actually 1.050 but I never really trust my hydrometer readings.
Make sure you update us on the progress of this brew!

Almost a week in (brewed 13/2/14) and it looks like it's pretty much done. Sitting at 1.012 currently. I'll dryhop in a couple of days then drop it down to 2C or 3C a few days before bottling.

I'm smelling lots of passionfruit. This would be from the Galaxy right? There's enough passionfruit in there so I might drop the Galaxy from the dryhop.

WWDWD said:
Almost a week in (brewed 13/2/14) and it looks like it's pretty much done. Sitting at 1.012 currently. I'll dryhop in a couple of days then drop it down to 2C or 3C a few days before bottling.

I'm smelling lots of passionfruit. This would be from the Galaxy right? There's enough passionfruit in there so I might drop the Galaxy from the dryhop.
hey I'm tracking your progress because I really like the look of this recipe! Can't wait to hear more

Back