Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took my gravity reading after 2 weeks in the fermenter, (1.012) Spot on for a 5.8%! now to cold crash for the next week before bottling next weekend! I'm excited about my second version of this great beer.

Ok it's been 10 days in the bottle and I've held out for just about as long as I can...tonight I'm cracking me a fresh Skipping Piggy!

Lol 'Skipping Piggy' I like that. :D

Let us know how it turns out in comparison to the real deal, sir.

Well I popped a bottle last night and it's EASILY the best tasting beer I've made!
It's still a little green - the floral hops need to settle a touch and there's a slight sweetness that should go with time.
But all in, I'm blown away that I made that myself! Thanks to everyone on here who has contributed to this brill recipe!
Side by side to come when I get a chance to swing by the bottle shop.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408796731.356640.jpg

It isn't clear cause I didn't cold crash and the colours a little dark but man it tastes goooood:)

I've followed all you blokes and put the recipe in post #30 down this afternoon, with very slight modifications:

-200g crystal instead of 150g.
-Bittered with 12g of citra instead of galaxy.

Pitched an active starter of US05 and it's already bubbling away nicely.

Really looking forward to this one!!

SBOB said:
Planning on doing this on the weekend as my first extract brew... using Ian;s spreadsheet and a limit of the 10L pot i have (so about 8L boil volume) comes up with the following... Can someone tell me if I have anything wrong?

INGREDIENTS1.5kg Light Malt LME1.5kg Wheat Malt LME1kg Light DME
150g Light Crystal grains for steeping60g Centennial60g Citra30g GalaxyUS-05 YeastMETHOD1. Steep cracked Medium Crystal Grain for 30mins in 2.5L of 65-70C water (Ian spreadsheet says minimum of 2.4L)
2. Drain grains and rinse with 2.5L of 65-70C water (Ian spreadsheet says minimum 2.5L )
3. Liquid from steeping and rinse in pot and top up to 8L with ~500g DME. Bring to boil and take sample.. Cool sample and hope its about 1.040 (Ian spreadsheet says around 469 DME or 571 LME for 8 litre boil volume
4. Hop based on previously mentioned 60/10/5 min schedule, with weights adjusted slightly from Ian spreadsheet to hit ~40IBU
5. Let it cool, dump into fermenter with remaining LME/DME and water to ~21L
6. Pitch yeast when its at temp and etc etc as per usual

Have i missed anything or made any glaring mistakes?

void said:
No, looks good SBOB. I'd use 800g DME to get 8L to 1.040. 100g per litre is the guide I use. Wouldn't bother taking a grav sample either - just go straight into the boil. It doesn't need to be exactly 1.040.
Hi Void and SBOB. The reason it doesn't say to use 800g in 8L is because you're already extracting some fermentables out of the grain when you steep it. So it doesn't need as much to bring it up to 1040.

Having said that, if you steeped and then added the full 800g it probably wouldn't make any difference.

I'm going to give this recipe a go. It sounds like it's getting some great results!

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe!

I would like to give at a go this weekend, but normally brew 23L (as my fermeter allows). I was wondering what should I change in the recipe to maintain the same ABV & ABU but make 23L instead of 21?

Thanks.

Hey mate,

You can use software like beermate to scale your recipe up to 23L.

You'll need more malt and hops. Probably easiest to add more DME.

Cheers!!

Rossco - as I understand, steeping extracts mostly flavour & colour, but very little in the way of fermentables (as opposed to mash). I certainly would not expect steeping 150g of grain to extract the equivalent of 300g DME.

500g DME plus 150g steep will not get you near 1.040 - you'd be lucky to hit 1.030.

shacked said:
Hey mate,

You can use software like beermate to scale your recipe up to 23L.

You'll need more malt and hops. Probably easiest to add more DME.

Cheers!!
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply!

I would like to use recipe from post #30. Do you think using 1kg of DME instead of 700g would be enough?

Cheers!

TimeToBrew said:
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply!

I would like to use recipe from post #30. Do you think using 1kg of DME instead of 700g would be enough?

Cheers!
You roughly want to increase every by one tenth to get your extra 2 liters in to make it up to 23liters. 1kg of DME in the place of 700g is close enough IMHO. Also, you could increase your 20g hop additions by 2g each and your 10g additions by 1g each if you wanted to be extra meticulous.

In the past I've just added the extra 2 liters and not worried about it but I can understand why some people might worry about 'watering down' their brews.

+1. I agree with menoetes.

An extra 300g of LDME (or a combo of wheat and pale DME) will bring your ABV up to about 6.1% which is there or there abouts.

The extra 2L will drop the IBU from about 53 to 48, so up the hops a little if you feel like it.

Keep the crystal at 150g or up it a little to, say 200g if you have the extra. Not a big deal either way.

Go forth and breweth!

Thanks a lot guys, very much appreciated!

I had a look at the recipe again, could you please confirm that these ingredients for 21L:

[SIZE=10.5pt]1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt

150g Crystal grains steeped[/SIZE]

Can be replaced by the following for 23L:

[SIZE=10.5pt]1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
1kg Light Dry Malt

200g Crystal grains steeped[/SIZE]

I'm worried that 1.5kg of each malt stays the same.

The easier option for me would be to brew 21L for now and aim for 23L next time.

Thanks!

This might help you out..
I took the recipe when I did it 2 weeks ago and threw it into the 'Ians spreadsheet' for extract brewing..

I made my batch to 24L which has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks and is getting its cold crashing this weekend before bottling next week...

I hit the OG exactly, but the FG looks to be marginally higher at around 1.018

View attachment HopHog Extract Sheet.xls

Recipe looks good TimeToBrew, go for it :)

If you end up a few points off on your OG and IBUs I doubt you'll notice too much of a difference but knock it out and see how you like it. After tasting you can always adjust the recipe to be more to your liking for your next attempt.

I did those ingredients for my 23l but did 250g of steeped grains and the result was delecious

Back