Home Brewing Has Ruined Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baltika 4 is awesome. Next time grab the Kozel Dark too. Delicious and cheap.

Love Kozel Dark, only found it in by accident in a bottlo in Ramsgate. Like the bottles for homebrew as well, building up a good stock of 500ml

Back to the original post.
I have the same complaint from our daughter's fiance. He'll be my son-in-law this Saturday.
He reckons my HB has spoiled his taste for megaswill.
As a result, he'll now only drink imported (not BUL) Euro lagers. He's a builder, so he's entitled to a thirst quenching bevy or two after work.
Personally, I was never really a big beer drinker, as I just could never take to the Aus major brewery products.
It was only when I got into beers such as the Guinness of old (before it was dumbed down), JS Amber, etc that I started to see you could have real flavour and differences in beers, to the same degree as you can in wines.
Beer, one of the worlds great beverages. Enjoy the diversity, flavour, and aroma journey it provides!

That's what I was hoping would happen!! Does anybody have any suggestions on some flavoursome APA's out there to reignite my faith in commerce?

Edit: Luckily my British Bitter / ESB creating skills are no match for the originals though - but the local doesn't serve m(any) of those beauties. A shift in style for winter may be on the cards!!

I'm not much of a one for massively hopped beers although I do love the spice and bitterness that hops bring to certain beers like tripels and some English Bitters. I'm not sure where your local is but if you were lucky enough to be anywhere near Melbourne there's several places you could go to to try many beers you have never tried before. That's half the fun.

Also Beechworth Pale when it's at it's best and Kooinda pale are too american style pale ales that I've enjoyed, brewed locally. It's not punch you in the face hops but it is delicious and part of the deliciousness is the hops and how they are used.

As you say - if you haven't trumped the bitters yet you know where to start. Just means you either need to be more selective about where you go or else make your expectations realistic. I've always had time for super cold, refreshing bland tap beer in the right context. I can sink MB cans with the best of them at a barbie on a hot summer's day too. There's never a time I would describe carlton or Melbourne as good beers but they were never designed to be. I love good fresh food too but I can also eat a dim sim and love it.

What I can't stand is 'premium' beers that are shit (hello Crown lager) or overmarketted bland nothings like lo-carbs, pretend 'mids' and pretend blonds - same as I can't stand overpriced, hyped, pretentious but still crap quality food.

I love good single malt whisky but can sink a shot of jamieson's at a gig. Don't get me started about Johnny Walker Blue though.

You get the drift.

Go to the pub for refreshment, catching up with friends and relaxing. Go to a good bar or good bottle shop for beer knowledge and palate expansion and inspiration.

BribieG and PhoneyHuh.....

How is it that you know what trough lollies and goats piss tastes like??

Remind me not to go camping with you guys!!haha

RUN AWAY!!!
:icon_vomit:

rendo

EDIT: no wait...!! maybe you shouldnt answer my question....no really...its fine. Forget I asked. I dont want to know! :)

I'm not a fan of American Styles, which mostly taste like trough lollies to me. :icon_chickcheers:

I tried Kozel Premium and was certain it was made from goats piss.

Latest posts

Back