Home Brewing Has Ruined Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score
I've been playing around in the home brew world for a while now, and haven't bought more than a couple of six-packs of commercial pisch for home in the last 10 months. The last few weeks I've noticed that beers down the pub no longer do anything for me, they are generally bland, tasteless rubbish, that I'd rather not consume again. And this includes the main stream "craft" beers that are regularly pushed out down the local that first got me interested in home brew (Matilda Squires for example).

This weekend I found a couple of bottles of an Epic pale ale, that I had been informed would provide me that "in-your-face" hoppiness that I've now grown to love with the home brewery. Alas not. Still seemed blander and less tasteful.

Either I have a frontal lobe tumour pushing on my cribiform plate / Olfactory nerve, or going to the local for a quickie has now been ruined forever!!

Should I get a CT Brain? :huh:

edit: spelling and grammar

Olfactory dysfunction is associated with early Parkinson disease and with other neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer disease and Huntington chorea. An association also exists between abnormal olfactory identification and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

hmmmmmmmmmm.

Sometimes, more often than not in the morning, I find that I'm really forgetful, particularly about recent events. I have the shakes, even when sitting still at rest, like a tremor. And I keep dropping things... I find this the most frustrating, because I like to keep the house clean. Cleanliness & Godliness etc...

I'm sure all this could be cured if the local would serve me my own beer!!

Apart from surgery the next best thing would be to set up a bar at home, charge $1 schooners and you will find friends you never knew you had,

Joe,

Ah, the curse of homebrew... good homebrew that is. If you stuck with kits and shoogaz, I don't think this would've been a problem.

I've found brewing has made the world of beer more exciting rather than less. I'm always on the lookout for something I haven't tried or something to aspire to.

I've found brewing has made the world of beer more exciting rather than less. I'm always on the lookout for something I haven't tried or something to aspire to.

That's what I was hoping would happen!! Does anybody have any suggestions on some flavoursome APA's out there to reignite my faith in commerce?

Edit: Luckily my British Bitter / ESB creating skills are no match for the originals though - but the local doesn't serve m(any) of those beauties. A shift in style for winter may be on the cards!!

It happens to us all...

I used to like super dry and james boags premium if it was a special occasion. But both those and others in their league are horrible, and I KNOW I can make something superior at half the price and twice the quantity...

Thank god coopers is on tap in every pub in Adelaide

That's what I was hoping would happen!! Does anybody have any suggestions on some flavoursome APA's out there to reignite my faith in commerce?
I haven't had the Epic Pale that you mentioned above but the Epic Mayhem and Epic Armageddon were both great beers. If you want hops, that's where I'd be going.

Had a Jamesons Beast the other day. Loved it.

Gotta agree with you though. But I also agree with Manticle.

Edit: Luckily my British Bitter / ESB creating skills are no match for the originals though - but the local doesn't serve m(any) of those beauties. A shift in style for winter may be on the cards!!

If you didnt like Epic Pale your chances of finding something that you DO like are slim. That's a bloody good beer. Obviously LCPA is the shining example of a popular version of the style and is a really great beer too. Murrays Nirvana Pale Ale might do it for you - probably my favourite aussie APA. It sounds like APA's just arent hoppy enough for you - perhaps step up to a commercial IPA to compare against your probably very highly hopped APAs. Try something like Feral Hop Hog, Epic Armaggedon, Jamieson Beast or Murrays Grand Cru. Those should reignite your love for other peoples beer!!!

This weekend I found a couple of bottles of an Epic pale ale, that I had been informed would provide me that "in-your-face" hoppiness that I've now grown to love with the home brewery. Alas not. Still seemed blander and less tasteful.
Either I have a frontal lobe tumour pushing on my cribiform plate / Olfactory nerve, or going to the local for a quickie has now been ruined forever!!
Should I get a CT Brain? :huh:

I think you need a lobotomy! Anything Epic slaps you around like a good US Pale, IPA, IIPA does. Crap i even had a can of Guinness last night that hit the spot! Although they are now imported from St. James Gate brewery rather than brewed down the road at Abbotsford.

If you didnt like Epic Pale your chances of finding something that you DO like are slim. That's a bloody good beer. Obviously LCPA is the shining example of a popular version of the style and is a really great beer too. Murrays Nirvana Pale Ale might do it for you - probably my favourite aussie APA. It sounds like APA's just arent hoppy enough for you - perhaps step up to a commercial IPA to compare against your probably very highly hopped APAs. Try something like Feral Hop Hog, Epic Armaggedon, Jamieson Beast or Murrays Grand Cru. Those should reignite your love for other peoples beer!!!
Wouldnt say Grand Cru is an APA or IPA? :blink:

I know what you mean Joe. I went to the Platform Bar in Brisbane a few weeks ago for the first time, a range of craft and JS and LC type beers and even they didn't make the earth move for me. As for VB and XXXX, the Mrs drags me down to the pub now and again for a pokies session and I always go the XXXX because at least it's got some real hop flowers in it, but I always make sure it's the first beer of the day and I skull it fast and cold and try not to let anyone else in the bar see me squirm and shudder. As I've posted previously I'm not a fan of American Styles, which mostly taste like trough lollies to me. However I trawl Dans and Ist Choice for stuff I've never tasted before and, lately, the only beers that have really made the hair stand up were Timothy Taylors Landlord in the Pint Bottle, and the Russian Baltika 4 made with Rye and caramel malt. To die for. Come back Rasputin all is forgiven :icon_chickcheers:

Baltika__Large_.jpg

I think you need to venture into some ipas.

Have a go of rogue's yellow snow ipa.

All Amarillo?
urinal.jpeg

;)

Hmmm. Actually their range looks interesting and I note that they have finally emerged from the American "All malt and masses of hops" sect/cult mindset with a couple of their beers, i.e. Dad's Little Helper that has 40% maize adjunct and is lightly hopped. Interesting.

Epic Mayhem and Epic Armageddon were both great beers. If you want hops, that's where I'd be going.
Both are fine beers but neither deserve their names. OP will be disappointed. Just shell out for a Rogue XS IIPA - you know you want to. In relation to OP's point, home brew does make shit beer shitter but it does open you to new flavours. And not just hops. Not finding the hops you're after? Start looking for malt, yeast character, esters, etc. Even if decent a beer is not hopped like you want you might be able to find something to take from it for your own beers.

I know what you mean Joe. I went to the Platform Bar in Brisbane a few weeks ago for the first time, a range of craft and JS and LC type beers and even they didn't make the earth move for me. As for VB and XXXX, the Mrs drags me down to the pub now and again for a pokies session and I always go the XXXX because at least it's got some real hop flowers in it, but I always make sure it's the first beer of the day and I skull it fast and cold and try not to let anyone else in the bar see me squirm and shudder. As I've posted previously I'm not a fan of American Styles, which mostly taste like trough lollies to me. However I trawl Dans and Ist Choice for stuff I've never tasted before and, lately, the only beers that have really made the hair stand up were Timothy Taylors Landlord in the Pint Bottle, and the Russian Baltika 4 made with Rye and caramel malt. To die for. Come back Rasputin all is forgiven :icon_chickcheers:

View attachment 36366
Baltika 4 is awesome. Next time grab the Kozel Dark too. Delicious and cheap.

Back