Home Brewer Stats / Numbers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

Would anyone have or know the number of home brewers in Australia, percentage increases?

Any stats that are avaliable from a site or PDF somewhere?

Thanks

Rusty

That's really a "how long is a piece of string?" sort of question

Even looking at ingredient sales data isn't really going to help you much

There are a lot of brewers on the interweb talking about beer making - but I imagine that that would be fraction of the number out there brewing in their sheds

Without a national register - I'd imagine any figures you find would involve nothing more than a stab in the dark

Cheers

Edit: Perhaps rather than looking at an exact number it'd be best to look at the success of online brewshops, the rise of brew on premises sites, the roll out of weird and wonderful brewing gear and the amount of beery knowledge now available on the web

Hi

Would anyone have or know the number of home brewers in Australia, percentage increases?

Any stats that are avaliable from a site or PDF somewhere?

Thanks

Rusty
Gee...i reckon that would almost be impossible to calculate.
I don't think that there was a tick box on the last census " do you homebrew? :ph34r: "
And then there are the mead/cider makers , home wine makers....do we include them ?
I reckon that even in the last 3 years , the hobby has grown ...but couldn't tell you by how much...or what was the starting percentage...
Also not sure that the brew shops would be keen to tell you how much their business have grown...
Good luck !

I tried looking at google trends, but the problem with that is that the word 'homebrew' also refers to custom firm/softwear for technological devices.

Hard to say.
I see a spike around the Christmas period as blokes tear the wrapping off their home brew kits given to them by family.
Followed by a plateau for about a month coinciding with a jump in sales of white sugar and long necks.
Then a slump in the number followed by an oversupply of 'used once' HB kits on e-bay.

Why do you ask?
Are you a statistician or something?

Or do you work for the government?.....

I don't think that there was a tick box on the last census " do you homebrew? :ph34r: "

Perhaaps next census, instead of writing Jedi in the religion section, we could all write craft beer? :p

Cheers SJ

In this neck of the woods I'd say that distillers would outnumber beer brewers, going on the sale of flavouring essences, dextrose etc. The owner of a home brew business recently told me that for most local home brew shops, distilling related product is around 70% of their profit.

The thing about beer brewing is that you aren't limited to home brew shops to get your ingredients. Apart from the hops you can walk into any IGA supermarket any day of the week, totally ignore the home brew section and go straight to the grocery shelves and rustle up enough ingredients to make a drinkable although not award winning basic beer, as they used to do in the 60s before beer kits came on the market. Ingredients for Non beer brewing such as mead and cider you can source from any supermarket or farmers market in the land.

And long may it be so.

As stated, how long is a piece of string. :)

Not Gov :)

I ask because because I am putting together an article on why home brew is booning (if it is :) I have to prove it )
Yes stats are hard to find on this subject

yellow pages tells me there are 272 shops and that excludes online stores,

Have any noticed the number of stores increase? Ideas on that?

thanks

In this neck of the woods I'd say that distillers would outnumber beer brewers, going on the sale of flavouring essences, dextrose etc. The owner of a home brew business recently told me that for most local home brew shops, distilling related product is around 70% of their profit.

The thing about beer brewing is that you aren't limited to home brew shops to get your ingredients. Apart from the hops you can walk into any IGA supermarket any day of the week, totally ignore the home brew section and go straight to the grocery shelves and rustle up enough ingredients to make a drinkable although not award winning basic beer, as they used to do in the 60s before beer kits came on the market. Ingredients for Non beer brewing such as mead and cider you can source from any supermarket or farmers market in the land.

And long may it be so.

As stated, how long is a piece of string. :)

Gee...i reckon that would almost be impossible to calculate.
And then there are the mead/cider makers , home wine makers....do we include them ?
I reckon that even in the last 3 years , the hobby has grown ...but couldn't tell you by how much...or what was the starting percentage...
Also not sure that the brew shops would be keen to tell you how much their business have grown...
Good luck !

Understandable :)

Question is

Do you think there are enough home brewers out there to have an effect on beer sales?

Cheap wine has been blamed on poor beer sales - I think wine drinkers are just drinking more wine :)

I think the home brewers have an effect on the sale of craft beer. What I mean is they are the group that is probably more inclined to buy it.
I know people that say they are make home brew and they do but it is only 3 or 4 batches in a year.

Cheers Stu

For what audience do you want us to write your article, Rusty?

Articles are dead easy to write. First two paragraphs need to set the scene but in a way that the reader wouldn't have a frigging clue what it's about so has to keep reading and reading, then the penny drops half way through so they just keep reading your article anyway. If you state the subject of the article up front, half of them will just read the first sentence then go no further. Nat Geo and "Lifestyle" supplements in the Weekend papers are masters of this.

Shit Poor Style:

HOME BREW INCREASING.
Latest figures confirm that home brewed beer now accounts for 15 percent of the beer market in Australia, with approximately 250,000 Australians stating that they brewed at least five batches in 2010.... booorrringgg

Perfect Article Style:

HOPPING TO IT IN WORT TOWN NEAR YOU

The small terrier rushes out excitedly to greet the newcomers. Men of all ages, most carrying mysterious packages and somewhat ambiguous shiny object are descending on a garage - maybe near you. Saturday Morning and you could be forgiven for thinking that this leafy street was Chardonnay Central - after all the jumble of Monier Tiled roofs and perfectly manicured lawns is pregnant with the promise of a late afternoon Barbeque, the SUVs scattering - wife driven - to the nearest shoppingtown to pick up perhaps a six bottle special of Cuvee Naturelle or a naughty red to share over the canapes and butterflied BBQ lamb leg.. the tulip glasses already arrayed ... but you would be surprised blah blah blah

B)

Ok avoiding the cleaning and housework I'd better get on with it. Those Val Day flowers have just about been used up....

B)

Articles are dead easy to write. First two paragraphs need to set the scene but in a way that the reader wouldn't have a frigging clue what it's about so has to keep reading and reading, then the penny drops half way through so they just keep reading your article anyway. If you state the subject of the article up front, half of them will just read the first sentence then go no further. Nat Geo and "Lifestyle" supplements in the Weekend papers are masters of this.

Shit Poor Style:

HOME BREW INCREASING.
Latest figures confirm that home brewed beer now accounts for 15 percent of the beer market in Australia, with approximately 250,000 Australians stating that they brewed at least five batches in 2010.... booorrringgg

Perfect Article Style:

HOPPING TO IT IN WORT TOWN NEAR YOU

The small terrier rushes out excitedly to greet the newcomers. Men of all ages, most carrying mysterious packages and somewhat ambiguous shiny object are descending on a garage - maybe near you. Saturday Morning and you could be forgiven for thinking that this leafy street was Chardonnay Central - after all the jumble of Monier Tiled roofs and perfectly manicured lawns is pregnant with the promise of a late afternoon Barbeque, the SUVs scattering - wife driven - to the nearest shoppingtown to pick up perhaps a six bottle special of Cuvee Naturelle or a naughty red to share over the canapes and butterflied BBQ lamb leg.. the tulip glasses already arrayed ... but you would be surprised blah blah blah

B)

Ok avoiding the cleaning and housework I'd better get on with it. Those Val Day flowers have just about been used up....

B)

Two completely different types of articles Bribie.

The first one you created looks much like an actual news article - where you want all the important stuff up front in what's known as the lead paragraph so people skimming through the news can decide quickly whether it is important to them or they can move on to the next article.

The second example appears more like a feature article - an article about a softer news story where the reader is led in to the story possibly in a round-about way, features are not considered to be actual news articles - or, this maybe even be the start of an editorial (opinion) depends on where it goes from here.

But neither is of shit poor style if they are appropriate for their position in the paper/journal/magazine :)

Thanks don't remember asking for help on how to write article :)

Dan you can't spell Canberra unless your from Canbeera - and therefore I apologize to all the Canbeerians :)

Two completely different types of articles Bribie.

The first one you created looks much like an actual news article - where you want all the important stuff up front in what's known as the lead paragraph so people skimming through the news can decide quickly whether it is important to them or they can move on to the next article.

The second example appears more like a feature article - an article about a softer news story where the reader is led in to the story possibly in a round-about way, features are not considered to be actual news articles - or, this maybe even be the start of an editorial (opinion) depends on where it goes from here.

But neither is of shit poor style if they are appropriate for their position in the paper/journal/magazine :)

HOME BREW INCREASING.
Latest figures confirm that home brewed beer now accounts for 15 percent of the beer market in Australia, with approximately 250,000 Australians stating that they brewed at least five batches in 2010

Hi BribieG did you just make this up or based on some figures?

Thanks

Good luck getting figures, try to ask some of the bigger distributors/producers such as Bintani, Coopers etc as they will have a view as to the size of the HB market.

70% profit on distilling products Bribie - that probably just means that there is a ton more markup on that gear as opposed to beer stuff.

Back