Home Brewer Stats / Numbers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ask because because I am putting together an article on why home brew is booning (if it is :) I have to prove it )
Yes stats are hard to find on this subject
Clearly you're the person to be writing this. I mean, why research something for an article outside of your knowledge base (especially one where the conclusion is decided before any research) when you can sign up to a forum and ask for the content?

Perhaps I'm jaded, but I'm pretty tired of reading about topics given 15 minutes of interest from a pseudo-journo, hacked together from dubious fourth-hand sources and then edited in a way that changes the few facts to (even innocently) nice-sounding lies. It would be nice to think that you either need to be reporting on actual published research (as in direct-source) or going the other way and having a general opinion piece based on some actual interviews with people who do know the facts and figures. "BribieG on AHB says ... " is not suitable research if you ask me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to aussiejourno.com to get data for my article on why blogging is booning (so I can prove it is).

Coles has just pulled all homebrew products from its shelves...wouldn't this suggest poor sales and therefore that home brewing is in decline :ph34r:

And Bribie, you KNOW the numbers are closer to 34% and 750,000! :p

Clearly you're the person to be writing this. I mean, why research something for an article outside of your knowledge base (especially one where the conclusion is decided before any research) when you can sign up to a forum and ask for the content?

Perhaps I'm jaded, but I'm pretty tired of reading about topics given 15 minutes of interest from a pseudo-journo, hacked together from dubious fourth-hand sources and then edited in a way that changes the few facts to (even innocently) nice-sounding lies. It would be nice to think that you either need to be reporting on actual published research (as in direct-source) or going the other way and having a general opinion piece based on some actual interviews with people who do know the facts and figures. "BribieG on AHB says ... " is not suitable research if you ask me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to aussiejourno.com to get data for my article on why blogging is booning (so I can prove it is).

@quantumbrewer

I am researching data for an article - there are no buttons to push so I can extract - there are no stats so I thought I would ask people who I thought would know..

Part of an article is research - do you expect every journalist to write about something they know about?

What if it is a new topic?

I could be the best tennis player in the world but don't know how raquets are made..

I was hoping somebody that knew some exact figures would read this post that is what I am trying to find out

NOT make stuff up

bloggers make stuff up.... and stuff ups

In this neck of the woods I'd say that distillers would outnumber beer brewers, going on the sale of flavouring essences, dextrose etc. The owner of a home brew business recently told me that for most local home brew shops, distilling related product is around 70% of their profit.

The thing about beer brewing is that you aren't limited to home brew shops to get your ingredients. Apart from the hops you can walk into any IGA supermarket any day of the week, totally ignore the home brew section and go straight to the grocery shelves and rustle up enough ingredients to make a drinkable although not award winning basic beer, as they used to do in the 60s before beer kits came on the market. Ingredients for Non beer brewing such as mead and cider you can source from any supermarket or farmers market in the land.

And long may it be so.

As stated, how long is a piece of string. :)

Always amazes me when I'm at the LHBS, someone *always* comes in and picks up some essence...

Many people I talk to at social events etc "oh you homebrew... I distill"

And I'm quietly thinking... distilling is just a science experiment... and then you add some flavouring... you don't make "scotch" you're making flavoured ethanol...

what's worse is the ones who *like* their *nasty* ethanol... oh yeah... "i never bother with making sure the temperatures are right.... gives me more flavour"

omg...

oh well...

The fun thing is, when the distillers taste my beer... they want to know more ;)

If you want to do some *real* research into this, then that might be a good thing...

try interviewing the actual ingredient producers, and perhaps the larger HBS chains... and some of the smaller ones... find out what *they* think.

I'm sure Coopers could give you an idea about *their* perspective on the homebrew market... (if you ask nicely)

And what about the distrubtors of grain... won't they know how many sacks they sell to the homebrew suppliers? will they want to tell you?

I know most of Coopers malt extract actually goes to the food industry, it was in their annual news release...

Dan you can't spell Canberra unless your from Canbeera - and therefore I apologize to all the Canbeerians :)

No need to aplogise, we Canberra Brewers love Canbeera. But the spelling error was an intential pun.

Cheap wine has been blamed on poor beer sales

(re purposed for the latter)

Dan you can't spell Canberra unless your from Canbeera

I could be the best tennis player in the world but don't know how raquets are made..

Man, I hope you have a good (and patient) sub-editor... :)

I am researching data for an article - there are no buttons to push so I can extract - there are no stats so I thought I would ask people who I thought would know..

Part of an article is research - do you expect every journalist to write about something they know about?

What if it is a new topic?
a/ There is no data here on what you are looking into. There may be opinions, but no data.
b/ Though I would be terribly surprised to find that absolutely no data exists on the number of homebrewers or the subject you are asking about, if that is the case, what do you expect to learn by asking for data?
c/ Research (v): attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner; (n) systematic investigation to establish fact; Asking for opinions on the facts is not research. Had you posted to a bureau-of-statistics forum or even a marketing forum, perhaps you might have been able to find someone doing the research, but you will not find the data there either.
d/ Of course a journo isn't going to be knowledgeable in every subject, but perhaps rather than scrambling together an article that makes it look like they do know the ins-and-outs, they should either leave the writing to someone who does, or just *report* on the facts rather than present them.
e/ If it is a new topic, then compiling the loosely-gathered data without knowing the subject is an exercise in either futility or uber-mainstream-media-fluff-piece-writing.

I hope that what you meant to say when you first started posting is along the lines of

"I am writing an article on the (possible) rise in popularity of home brewing. I would like your opinions on this topic."

Rather than 'what is the answer - please do my homework for me'.

Personally, I would love to see an article on the topic proposed, but not if it didn't tell me anything I could believe, or if it was a fleshed-out bunch of interviews of brewers saying 'yes', 'no', and 'well up here on the north side of the island where ALDI has DME on special on Thursdays which is good because I usually go for my walk past the shops on the way to the local pub where I can get a decent beer most of the time and after which I go for a walk down on the beach... brewing is good'.

[From a research-writing pedant who spends a lot of time doing research/writing up research/reading Bad Science and pointing out errors in scientific writings].

I'm pretty sure Coles and/or Woolies have not removed their homebrew cans because they are not selling. It's because they sell booze.

That's like dope dealers selling seedlings. Or you buying your wife a vibrating dildo. Self-defeating.

Why it took them so long to realise they can make much more money selling cartons of beer for $40 than the ingredients to make $150 worth of beer for $12 is beyond me. But then I'm not Chief Executive Dickwad at Coles.

I love it when the academics get fired up!

Almost as much as I love establishing the a priori unfalsifiable evidence of my hypothesis purely due to the premise of my question. :lol:

Edit: HAHAHAHA!!!!!! @ NickJD - so we know what you DIDN'T get your significant other for valentines day. Awesome, that will keep me giggling for days.

I'm pretty sure Coles and/or Woolies have not removed their homebrew cans because they are not selling. It's because they sell booze.

That's like dope dealers selling seedlings. Or you buying your wife a vibrating dildo. Self-defeating.

Why it took them so long to realise they can make much more money selling cartons of beer for $40 than the ingredients to make $150 worth of beer for $12 is beyond me. But then I'm not Chief Executive Dickwad at Coles.

So we can expect them to stop selling flour so they can sell more cake mixes?

a/ There is no data here on what you are looking into. There may be opinions, but no data.
b/ Though I would be terribly surprised to find that absolutely no data exists on the number of homebrewers or the subject you are asking about, if that is the case, what do you expect to learn by asking for data?
c/ Research (v): attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner; (n) systematic investigation to establish fact; Asking for opinions on the facts is not research. Had you posted to a bureau-of-statistics forum or even a marketing forum, perhaps you might have been able to find someone doing the research, but you will not find the data there either.
d/ Of course a journo isn't going to be knowledgeable in every subject, but perhaps rather than scrambling together an article that makes it look like they do know the ins-and-outs, they should either leave the writing to someone who does, or just *report* on the facts rather than present them.
e/ If it is a new topic, then compiling the loosely-gathered data without knowing the subject is an exercise in either futility or uber-mainstream-media-fluff-piece-writing.

I hope that what you meant to say when you first started posting is along the lines of

"I am writing an article on the (possible) rise in popularity of home brewing. I would like your opinions on this topic."

Rather than 'what is the answer - please do my homework for me'.

Personally, I would love to see an article on the topic proposed, but not if it didn't tell me anything I could believe, or if it was a fleshed-out bunch of interviews of brewers saying 'yes', 'no', and 'well up here on the north side of the island where ALDI has DME on special on Thursdays which is good because I usually go for my walk past the shops on the way to the local pub where I can get a decent beer most of the time and after which I go for a walk down on the beach... brewing is good'.

[From a research-writing pedant who spends a lot of time doing research/writing up research/reading Bad Science and pointing out errors in scientific writings].

+1000

Yes!!!

But this really isn't helping me concentrate on finishing my own thesis. And QB: get back to work!

Sweet, someone said it.

My inner Sheldon was twitching.

Goomba

I just couldn't let it go. These were just the weird spelling and grammatical mistakes, I didn't know how to attack the problem that many of his sentences weren't actual sentences and just didn't make sense. I kept wanting to quote my Microsoft Word: "Fragment, consider revising"!

I love it when the academics get fired up!

Almost as much as I love establishing the a priori unfalsifiable evidence of my hypothesis purely due to the premise of my question. :lol:

Edit: HAHAHAHA!!!!!! @ NickJD - so we know what you DIDN'T get your significant other for valentines day. Awesome, that will keep me giggling for days.

:)

Back