Home Brew Stubbies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know this sounds unconventional, but I always bottle some of my brews into stubbie bottles (XXXX) and just screw the original cap back on, after a fully cleaning and sanitation process or course.

Over the years I've done hundreds of bottles this way, and no throw-aways due to infection yet. No carbonation probs either.

I actually don't know why more people don't do this. It's really simple!

i know this sounds unconventional, but I always bottle some of my brews into stubbie bottles (XXXX) and just screw the original cap back on, after a fully cleaning and sanitation process or course.

Over the years I've done hundreds of bottles this way, and no throw-aways due to infection yet. No carbonation probs either.

I actually don't know why more people don't do this. It's really simple!

Had an uncle who did this for years without any problems at all.

He also used to soak the caps in boiling water prior to capping - apparently it 'puffed up' the plastic a bit, helping make a good seal.

As many of the guys here have said make sure they're dark, don't use corona bottles whatever you do. However the twist top bottles I find work fine, I cap with a bench capper and would recomend you invest in one (only about $55 tops anything over and its a rip off), compare this with its ease of use and you wont regret it. As for the caps themselves I find that the softer the metal the better the seal (this is a must when using twist top bottles), I buy mine from teh LHBS and they work a treat for all the bottles I, mostly crown but about a thirsd are twist top.

Good Luck

Aaron

Interesting thread,

Has anyone tried using the Bundaberg softdrink stubbies as these are a crown seal?

Ivan.

PS. Had a couple of twist top stubbies break whilst bottling but tracked this down to a faulty lever style capper. It was slightly askew which was fixed with an old knife jammed into the front of it to stop it kiicking of centre.

Interesting thread,

Has anyone tried using the Bundaberg softdrink stubbies as these are a crown seal?

Ivan.

PS. Had a couple of twist top stubbies break whilst bottling but tracked this down to a faulty lever style capper. It was slightly askew which was fixed with an old knife jammed into the front of it to stop it kiicking of centre.

Funnily enough, I've used them recently. Worked just fine.

Interesting thread,

Ivan.

My pop used them exclusively for stubbies, along with his vintage 1970's collection of Castlemaine tallies hahaha.

They can be a bitch to cap but once they're capped they're very solid indeed.

My pop used them exclusively for stubbies, along with his vintage 1970's collection of Castlemaine tallies hahaha.

They can be a bitch to cap but once they're capped they're very solid indeed.

Cool, and thanks
just went bin diving and rescued one before the mornin' pickup. :lol:

vow not to throw any others away now.

Meh, Oettinger is better value in cans. Plus, seems to mask some of the water quality I'm not used to. Or something.

But yes, Bundaberg bottles are very good for bottling with. Fairly robust, too.

- boingk

hey hey

Dark bottles are the best to use like everyone has said and if you invest in a bench capper the twist-top vs crown seal shouldn't matter. When I was collecting bottles the most common bottles I came across were Carlton Draught and VB and after 40 odd batches using these bottles I have never had a problem. The bench capper does a good job for either type of bottle so shouldn't matter whether you choose twist top or crown seal. Hope that helps.

Cheers

dickman

Back