Home Brew Stubbies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieh

Reaction score
Gday fellas,

does anyone know what stubbies are best for putting home brew beer into? ive got heaps of longnecks but want to put my beer into stubbies now...are the darker stubbies (vb and carlton draught) better or the clear stubbies better? guessing it'd help if the bottles were a thicker glass so they didnt smash when bottling them....any help with this would be good...cheers.

Darker coloured one's and definitely crown seals. Twisties will be a PITA as they, for me anyway, break too easily when capping.
Try these types of stubbies
  • Coopers
  • Little Creatures
  • Old style crownies stubbies
Chappo

Aren't the Coopers stubbies twisties these days?

In my experience vb stubbies are hard to cap and dangerous to your wrist had many a few smash...
I use barons stubbies, or coopers, I really try hard to get as many crown sealed stubbies as i can....as for colour brown bottles are best!

Then why the "old style" for Crown Lager?

OH SNAP! You got faced, brah.

Matilda Bay bottles are good, nice and heavy.

There's lots of cheap eurolager about these days that comes in brown, crown seal stubbies (Oettinger, Oranjebloom, Furstenberg, etc. etc.)

switch to kegs if you have a spare fridge....

Monteiths and JS are both crown seal, as are Little creatures......

A mate at work keeps me in a reasonable supply of Asahi bottle.

Strong enough, crown seals, brown.

any beer worth drinking comes in crown seal stubbies and not twist tops :)

Lucky Beer bottles are pretty good. Try those.

i find that belgian stubbies are the best . theyre all crown seal,dark and you need to do something crazy to blow one up!

Little Creatures bottles are quite thin and fragile, I prefer the James Squire stubbies a bit tougher.

It really doesn't matter what "brand" of bottle you use, you just need to make sure it's a nice thick/strong bottle, the VB stubbies are very thin walled, but bottles like LC or even cooperes stubbies are good, I keep my yeast in the Coopers bottles, preferably brown (although really if you keep them out of the light that doesn't really matter either, I have several empties of Ruddles that will never see the light of day).

How the hell are you guys capping? :D

I've bottled a swathe of batches, coming up on 50. Quite a few of those were with only a few cases worth of Tooheys and VB bottles as I didn't have the space at uni for more, and had to 'blend in' to disguise my HBing (damn burocracy).

I would say that VB are the go. They are compact, don't have a massive neck that'll fill with dead space, and are very easy to get. They might not be the most rubust of things, but theres 24 in a case and they hold beer perfectly well in my experience. Ask mates to save them for you, or cruise past the local recycling depot now and then - thats where I got mine from while I was at uni.

Don't use any clear bottles, every beer I've bottled in clear has gotten fouled over time.

Get yourself a bench-type 'Superautomatica' capper. It's an investment well worth the return and will last for as long as you choose to brew as far as I can see.

Cheers - boingk

Back