Hi I'm New, never brewed before,Trying to choose a starter kit.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a decent kit, it has everything that you need to get started.

If you post your location there may be someone in your local area that can help you get everything you need to start out for much less. There may also be someone that would invite you along to a brew day.

Welcome to the hobby. It really is great fun and not as hard as some would make you think.

Edit: typo

The way I see it, the kit gives you all the basics to get going, you can definitely shop around and probably get the gear Cheaper, but then that can also take time and leaves room for forgetting something.

$165 in the scheme of this hobby isn't really much.

I'm sure that if you catch the bug there will be a few things happen.

1. You will buy/make a second fermenter within a couple of weeks

2. Buy a new hydrometer cause you dropped/broke the first one

3. Get accused of being obsessed with your phone (because you are checking out the forum every hour)

I say go for it and have some fun.

If you know nothing about brewing, my advice would be to find a good home brew shop. You may pay slightly more for the gear BUT good advice is priceless!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You will get $65 worth of knowledge off barry if you go into the brew shop though. If you want it or not, he'll give it to you! Seriously though, the coopers kit is a good deal and it's how i first started, but it won't come with some of the knowledge your local brew shop can give you. You can find most of it on here, but sometimes it's better getting it face to face.

Edit:wapehawi beat me to the punch

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'd pay the extra $65 for the automica capper and the heat belt.

It gives a man a good excuse to smash a few beers for the sake of bottle collection :chug:

Thanks for the help guys, Where is the best place to find recipes? or Is it something you have to figure out yourself through trial and error.
I like to drink IPA's, Pale Ales and the occasional hoppy lager. Are strong flavored beer a lot harder to brew? Should I try to perfect the basic before anything else?

If your starting out with kit tins then the brew shop pack will be a good choice and it says it includes their recipe sheets that will give you guides to making beers along the lines of many commercial beers.
I gained a lot of info from their recipes and guides when I started , then I got the AHB bug and took it to another level.
The Brew shop kit will keep you going while you get your feet wet and learn the processes before taking the next steps...and their good for advice if you can get into the shop.
Good brewing.

I never had much luck with a heat belt. A mate borrowed it one time, put it around his fermenter, wrapped that in a blanket and wondered not long after what the smell of burning plastic was all about! Lucky he didn't burn his house down. Needless to say that was the end of the heat belt. We didn't bother to invest in replacement.
I think the Coopers brewery kits are a great way to get started but pretty quickly I'd add a bench capper and a bottle tree for drying your reused bottles. Probably my best purchase so far. Have you guys seen the Customize Your Coopers website? It looks a thousand years old but is great for tricking out your Coopers kit beers with small grain additions. I highly recommend it.

+1 For the coopers DIY kit. It's how I started and I can definitely recommend it. PET bottles are good for a few batches just don't use really hot water when rinsing.

Welcome to the hobby. It is addictive and replicating the same results will only add to the enjoyment!

Latest posts

Back