Hi All - I am a Graduate Business Student from the USA and I need your

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I joined this forum to help me with some market research that I am doing. A team and I are writing a business plan built around the idea of a you brew it establishment akin to Australia's U Brew It. I am not a home brewer myself but my husband is a chemist that is very much interested in beer and wine home brewing.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in giving me their opinions on the U Brew It model and share your experiences about them as well? I would appreciate this so much. Thanks.

you'll get many opinions, I've used them here (about 25 years ago) and in Canada (about 20 years ago)and had no issues

a friend does his beer at a u-brew it (I've only had 1 bad beer of his) most are fine and 1 was great.

quite a lot go out of business, it's high on the Capex

the following thread has some comments that may assist
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78279-blood-everywhere-the-bottle-went-bang/

You Aussie's are a kick (funny)! Yea, I kinda saw that Blood and Emergency thing (situation) when I was reading through the forum. I was hoping that it was not the prevailing opinion. Lets see what else comes up because I don't think blood is going to help me too much with this project.

That thread - in brief - get a brewer on board and listen to him/her when they say something is unsafe.

I would definately get a brewer. I would not want to do something that is unsafe. I believe that the man is OK. Does this one incident mean that the concept is poor or do you think that maybe they are cutting corners (trying save money)? In America we unfortunately have a propensity to cut corners in order to save a buck (dollar) or two.

I don't think the concept is poor if the brewing is done correctly. It appears to most in that thread that it was not, but not knowing the specifics of their processes I myself can't say.

Even if he's ultimately OK following stitches, should he really have to go through that so that someone can make money?

I've got a mate who was home-brewing but can't find the time to do kit brewing so he buys all his beer in kegs from U-Brew-It in Springwood, Brisbane. They make some tasty beer. When you compare the price of a 19L keg of beer which is about $50 (depending on which style of beer you buy), that is 2 cartons in the keg.

A carton of decent beer in Aus is about $55. So you are getting 2 cartons for the price of one from U-Brew-it. I've no idea if they are breaking their sales requirements but he lobs in, and gets a keg of whatever they have in their cold room, bypassing the U-Brew-It part and just I-Buys-It. he he

They also hire out mobile cold-rooms with 3 or 4 taps and kegs of beer for parties, engagements, etc.

I think the business model has merit. Like all good ideas (and franchises), it's all about the operator controlling the place. These Springwood guys seem to have their shit sorted and I have had a pleasant experience the couple of times I have gone in there. And I did quite enjoy the 9.5% RIS I bought there.

I can't comment on the bottles, but a couple of other friends who were buying U-Brew-It bottled beer were always warned every time they went in, that the beer had to be refrigerated. They went halves in a batch so they could fit all of it in their fridges

And if you are surprised at the price of a carton, us Aussies gets punished on government alcohol excise. In some cases it is a 3rd (or more) of the overall price of a carton of beer.

I would guess that the price relative to buying a carton is the main reason for the success of these places in aus, with beer in the us being so much cheaper in comparison im not sure that it would take off.

They've also got cheaper labour, cheaper hops. Possibly cheaper malt. Might be worth the OP figuring it out.

Labour (both skilled and unskilled) can get horrendously expensive here in oz, that is a big problem with such small-medium scale industries. Owner operator setups basically pour their sweat in and cut corners where they can. I suppose the business case in the US would be different with the lower wages and prices.

No one should get hurt for anyone to make money. Our idea is for people to enjoy (have fun) doing this. We would use top ingredients and have equipment available that the typical home brewer might find costly to purchase and difficult to store. I really like the idea of the mobile cold rooms.

Is anyone else skeptical of the nature of the original post considering the recent activity of the other thread, or am I just jaded?

Um...I assure you that this is for a business project. I need primary research, that is information directly from potential users/customers. Considering that we do not have a model like this in the US, I thought that this would be a good place to get some feedback/input. I am not a rep from U Brew It. The fact that the other thread exists is purely coincidental. I am also following US Brew forums as well. I apologize if this is not the appropriate outlet for my question.

I brewed at U Brew It once. Make a Sierra Nevada clone. It was actually awesome, for the first couple of weeks, and then the flavour profile faded to nothing.

I ended up tipping the last slab down the drain.

Wouldn't do it again unless they had some substantial process changes.

Thanks for the link...we are just starting on this adventure. I am going to investigate. Again thanks for the input and advice!!

I just wanted to say thank you again for your help and advice. We did very well on our marketing segment. I am going to go and do some more research now. I may be talking to you again in the future.

Latest posts

Back