Hey, hey hey!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArgM

Reaction score
Hello,

Reasonably new to brewing, started off with a started kit, moved to extracts lost interest and am now back with the BIAB re-ingniting my interest!
I'm a student do Industrial Design and get far to interested in the process of things. I'm currently running a very simple set-up and getting roughly
10L yield per brew day, some say that's not even worth getting out of bed for, but I love it simply because I can be more experimental and work out
what works for me and what works for my beer!

Anyway, pleasure to meet you all, looking forward to picking your brains!

welcome mate! BIAB is amazeballs. i've only just moved up fairly recently from 10 to 20L batches myself. is definitely worth it.

Welcome mate. Will be interesting to see how long you last at 10L batches. Are you bottling or kegging?

Many people have jumped right into biab as a first brew, if you understand process,absolutely no reason why not, minimal equipment, quality product = win

;)

thabks yob im gonna give it a go....still have lots to learn tho. i need to understand the fundamentals between all extract brewing vs partial vs BIAB

Quite simply with BIAB and any other all grain methods you are making your own extract. However your extract will be a lot fresher and more flavoursome as it isn't processed to death like in the malt extract manufacturing plants. Think Barista coffee vs Nescafe Blend 43.

Bribie G said:
Quite simply with BIAB and any other all grain methods you are making your own extract. However your extract will be a lot fresher and more flavoursome as it isn't processed to death like in the malt extract manufacturing plants. Think Barista coffee vs Nescafe Blend 43.
thats a good way to explain it. however what about when u first steep the grains in a bag and then add LME? is this what we call "partial"?

Partials are where you take pre made malt extract (liquid, light dried or even a kit like a Coopers) and in order to improve the flavour you mash a kilo or two or three of crushed base malt, typically at about 65 degrees for an hour, drain off the wort and boil it with some hops then combine the result with the malt extract. The extract has been boiled to death at the factory anyway, so this is added later.

This is different to steeping grains - Manticle did a really good explanation a couple of days ago, he might want to chip in here. When you steep, say 200g of crystal malt, you are basically extracting flavour and colour to enhance your brew. With partial mashing however you are stepping it up a notch: you are obtaining a large part of your fermentables from the base grain and combining the resulting wort with the extract. You can still use the "steeping" grains, just mix into the bulk of the base malt.

Partials are a good method of learning the ropes, stepping up to all grain isn't difficult but you may need to buy bigger equipment to handle the bigger volumes of grain. With an esky, an ice cream pail, a cheap stockpot etc you can do partials using up to a couple of kilos of base grain, using stuff you probably have lying around the house anyway.

wow, thanks a lot. i clearly have lots to learn still, but everyone's got to start somewhere.
i think partial mashing is still a bit out of my level of understanding of the whole brewing process.. but steeping grains and mixing with LME might be OK. i dont think ill go partial for my first brew

Cheers!

Lochem, why not make your first brew a bog standard kit - say Coopers Real Ale plus a box of their Brew Enhancer No. 2 - you'll get something definitely drinkable and it will be a good introduction to all the stuff that is common to all forms of brewing - sanitisation, fermentation, bottling etc.

Terms such as Kit, partials, BIAB, 3 vessel are really only describing one stage in the journey of grain to brain, namely the production of fermentable wort.

Nothing wrong with kits as a starting point, let the Coopers family do the hard stuff for you while you work up your skills in the other departments. :beerbang:

Welcome to the obsession

Bribie G

i hear ya. id like to head to the brewshop and talk it up with them too. i understand your reasoning - i just have a habit of heading down the path of doing it as best as i can and learning as much as i can...etc.
either way, i think i should stop hijacking ArgM's welcome message post :unsure:

i may continue this discussion in my own welcome post, here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78800-kinda-new-eager-to-learn/?p=1148264

Lochem said:
hey im curious if BIAB is a good method for a first-ever brew. whatchya say?
Yep, I did. Right into it with BIAB and kegs. Certainly helps when you have mates that can step you through it, a resource like AHB handy and brewing software.

I definitely think starting with biab is a good idea. you won't have those high expectations ruined like many new brewers who make a kit beer then wonder why it doesn't taste amazing. I started biab after my second kit beer and never looked back. a bit more money-wise for the initial set up but you can make some absolutely amazing beers. I didn't bother with doing partials because with all the steeping and such, you're literally 1 step away from doing complete AG biab anyway. no point in it in my opinion, unless you have to or prefer it.

basically, tinned fruit is lovely, but nothing beats biting into a fresh peach. I tend to think of it that way. once you start n
biab, you won't look back.

Love the way you put it. I think I trust myself enough to jump in to all grain BIAB as well. Thanks for the advice!

Partials for me were a great way to get used to process, glad I did it that way.

Different strokes though. ;)

Lochem said:
just have a habit of heading down the path of doing it as best as i can and learning as much as i can...etc.
Even if you start with bog standard kits you will learn plenty. I learn the basics of sanitation, fermentation, bottling etc from my kit days. If you start simple you don't run the risk of bamboozling yourself, missing important steps and ending up frustrated by the process.

You can make good beer with many of the commercial kits around, you just need to make sure you're careful with your sanitising and fermentation temperatures.

My journey to all grain brewing went from basic kits, to kits with added grain and extra hops, to fresh wort kits (with extras) then finally to AG after about 12-18 months. During that time I did lots of reading and watched lots of youtube videos to learn the basic of mashing/sparging/boiling etc.

Welcome to the top of a very slippery slope.

JD

Lochem said:
hey im curious if BIAB is a good method for a first-ever brew. whatchya say?
Don't believe there's any written laws thats ay you have to progress through from kits n bits to grain. Have a read, yell if you need help or advice and take a dive into the journey to excellence.

Martin

Latest posts

Back