Here's something we already knew.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
The one heartening thing I try to take away from research like this theres probably no zero risk threshold for head injurys caused by tripping over as it relates to standing up and walking, or crossing the street and getting skittled by a car.
Though I cant imagine a person whos drinking is best described as 'chronic and long term' would be all that fussed about having meat lovers pizza as a diet staple and not shitting for days at a stretch.

Hmm, been living in Kyogle for a month now and it only just occurred to me that there's an Eagle Boys down the hill................................

Bribie G said:
it only just occurred to me that there's an Eagle Boys down the hill................................
That stuff is more toxic than Italian beer and VW emissions combined.

Have to say, at least of the Eagle Boys franchise in Yamba, it's certainly not the worst pizza I've ever tasted.

Always a bit suss about those chain store pizzas ever since hearing that urban myth about a young guy some the warm dough and..never mind.

just last month, the morons were saying that cooking meats on a BBQ produces cancer causing toxins. Now its bacon and cured meats.
The human race were cooking meat on open wood fires long before gas and electricity was discovered. Can't be all that harmful

pist said:
just last month, the morons were saying that cooking meats on a BBQ produces cancer causing toxins. Now its bacon and cured meats.
The human race were cooking meat on open wood fires long before gas and electricity was discovered. Can't be all that harmful
Yeah, but we also used to die at the ripe old age of 35...

If you actually look beyond the headlines, although all these things do in fact increase the risk of cancer, the actual clinical difference is very slight. If say something increases the risk by 10%, that sounds like a lot, but if the baseline occurrence is 1 in 100000, then a 10% increase changes that to 1 in 90000 or so. It's an increase but in practice and at a personal level, the technical term for the increased risk is "**** all" .

The way it's reported it sounds like is a 10% chance of getting cancer but it's not. It's 10% of the baseline occurrence which is something completely different (and not nearly as headline worthy).

It is just over 50% of males will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 80, Hungary are league leaders in the processed and smoked meats types of cancer while gastric cancer was in decline since the early part of the 20th century (meat and fish being frozen instead of smoked) it is making a comeback due to the resurgence of home smoked meats.

Airgead said:
Yeah, but we also used to die at the ripe old age of 35...

If you actually look beyond the headlines, although all these things do in fact increase the risk of cancer, the actual clinical difference is very slight. If say something increases the risk by 10%, that sounds like a lot, but if the baseline occurrence is 1 in 100000, then a 10% increase changes that to 1 in 90000 or so. It's an increase but in practice and at a personal level, the technical term for the increased risk is "**** all" .

The way it's reported it sounds like is a 10% chance of getting cancer but it's not. It's 10% of the baseline occurrence which is something completely different (and not nearly as headline worthy).
Well thats not going to put petrol in Mr Murdochs Range Rover is it..

Dave70 said:
Well thats not going to put petrol in Mr Murdochs Range Rover is it..
I thought he ran that thing on refined tallow from poor people thinned down with whale oil and the tears shed by baby fur seals as they are clubbed to death.

JDW81 said:
That stuff is more toxic than Italian beer and VW emissions combined.
I drive a VW Jetta, and it's not killed me yet.

jetta.jpg

Latest posts

Back