Help Wiring Up A New Tempmate From Craftbrewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey denimglen

How about running a pc fan and 12V power supply from a double adaptor on the cool side of your fermentation freezer. This way it will run at the same time as the freezer is active.

Looking good BrewerPete; I bought a Jiffybox from Jaycar similar to Quantumbrewer's above. Jiffybox + the grommets & 2x electrical outlet thingys came to about $40.

Now I just need to find someone with a dremel. :huh: I cant really justify forking out >$100 for a tool ill probably only use once just yet...

Now I just need to find someone with a dremel. :huh: I cant really justify forking out >$100 for a tool ill probably only use once just yet...
I have an Ozito Rotary Tool, $40 from one of the sheds F.O.S. You can also get a DSE one (not as nice IMO) for $30. I've used mine plenty of times (never actually used it for building the TM case, wish I had it then) - sander, grinder, buffer, heaps of uses.

Just putting the price in for you. If you can get someone else to do it (with their tools) for a couple of beers, even better.

I took my Ozito back last year when I was building model airplanes after using it not even one day. Got it to do some work, chucked the first bit in, did some cutting, then some grinding and the lock button on the Ozito lost grip when I changed out the bit in the Ozito for the fourth time since opening the brand new box. Opened the Ozito tool up for a quick inspection and found out the shaft uses such soft metal that the push-button lock mushed the metal on the shaft from the bottom of the kerf up through nearly 1/4 turn of the shaft like peanut butter and the tool was done for in 1/2 day of use and all that from finger pressures!. Cheap Chinese metal in that gear :p

Long story short, on returning it to Bunnings and pricing out the full Dremel kit and plastic plunger, I got the Ryobi Bench Drill Press and an $18 flexible shaft drill press extender with its own built in chuck and have been doing all sorts of work since, tiny hobby gear up to full furniture and construction.

YMMV,
Brewer Pete

so we all agree thats its best to use a sparky.....except ive just gone to use my tempmate that a registered and costly sparky wired.....nothing. ive spend ages looing at stuff ive done then decided i'll have a look to see if a wire has come out.....nope. i f*cker has wired it wrong. stupid mother f*cker!!!!! ive fixed now using the wiring diagram supplied with the unit and from this thread. i even gave the prick the wiring diagram and he still screwed it up. stupid f*cking sparky.

he fucked up my fridgemate also. really pissed off

thanks guys for putting up wiring diagrams for comparison.

i should have clarified...the tempmate was hooked up to my new 3600W heating elemrnt for my hlt. oh well have now cracked grain and measured hops...will mash in at 6pm tomorrow.

Big thanks to everyone that posted diagrams and pics in this thread.

I wired my Tempmate up and checked it 1000 times to make sure I wasn't going to die when I plugged it.

Very easy to do and it worked first time.

The unit was very easy to use 2.

Bring on brewing in summer!!!

Guys,
I have picked up one of these from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Digital-Temper...=item3efc23681f

The only difference that I can see is the earth is not required to connect to the unit.
Will all the other wiring remain correct? I will have my sparky brother check it before I plug it in, just want thoughts as I will make up a daigram for him to check.

My understanding is that the active is to be switched and it does not matter which one of the supply terminals is active and which is neutral.

Guys,

The only difference that I can see is the earth is not required to connect to the unit.
Will all the other wiring remain correct? I will have my sparky brother check it before I plug it in, just want thoughts as I will make up a daigram for him to check.

My understanding is that the active is to be switched and it does not matter which one of the supply terminals is active and which is neutral.

There is a diagram on the unit that he can reference, being an electrician he will understand the wiring for the switched circuit. Too easy.

QldKev

Guys,

I know its only 5 days but have you received the unit yet and used it? I'm looking at a TempMate but this looks like it does the job also!
And, anyone else used one of these babies? How was/is it?

Jason

I know its only 5 days but have you received the unit yet and used it? I'm looking at a TempMate but this looks like it does the job also!
And, anyone else used one of these babies? How was/is it?

Jason

Have a look at this thread. I have one and works perfectly. Fast shipping, great unit. very happy.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=41253

When I bought mine there was multiple listings of the same item, make sure you buy the cheapest one...save you a few $

Pok

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Just wired mine up following your diagram and pics. Thanks again for postig them.

Saturday project: Complete.

Thanks to all who have posted diagrams and pics - it sure helped for wiring mine up. I've used a Dick Smith jiffy box like someone else on here has, a terminal block and 2 extension cords.

Attached is my wiring diagram (the photo is just too complicated to follow). Please let me know if you think it's a downgrade on the current diagrams (diagram can be removed if it's considerably worse). The structure is the same, slight differences on the junction box, and mine has the heat wired in. Just a note for those wiring theirs up - the face panel needs to go on before you connect all the wires up.

Also attached... happy snaps of final product. It works fine (tested with an appliance in either heat or cool plugs and adjusted temps) so I'm pretty satisfied.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Edit: Adding things I said I would.

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Just wired mine up following your diagram and pics. Thanks again for postig them.
Don't mention it (okay, do). :beer:
Enjoy your temp-control fermented beers - makes a world of difference if you ask me.

A big thankyou to all the trail blazers and ideas put forward in this thread.
I just upgraded from my old fridgemate to a tempmate.

Happy with the result. :)

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Innards.JPG

G'day got my tempmate today and looking at wiring up tomorrow, my mates a sparky and is coming over to do it but hes asking what materials he should try and grab from work. So just wondering that I should be asking for to make sure hes got everything. Any advice would be great

G'day got my tempmate today and looking at wiring up tomorrow, my mates a sparky and is coming over to do it but hes asking what materials he should try and grab from work. So just wondering that I should be asking for to make sure hes got everything. Any advice would be great

Just giving this a bump as my mate is a bout to clock off

Not much really. A box to contain it (some use Jiffy Box. Tupperware etc..) Grommet to sit round the probe cable through wall of box. Cable ties to tidy/make wires impossible to rip out. Wire!
1m Extension cord (to cut in 2 to make wall plug/plug for fridge) or - see post #56 for a more elegant solution.

Latest posts

Back