Help Wiring Up A New Tempmate From Craftbrewer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Just wondering on some sparky help to wire up my new TempMate fridge controller

Seems easy but when you are playing with 240V you wanna be triply sure

If a sparky could whip up a quick wiring diagram I would be forever in their debt :)

TempMate.jpg

TempMate-connects.jpg

"Notice:
1. The earth terminal of the controller should be connected with the earth terminal of the electric
cabinet reliably,be sure to connect the earth well.
"

Seriously, get someone in the know to do it for you. It's too easy to get it wrong, even if you follow a circuit diagram to the letter. Where abouts in NSW are you?

You're going to get a bunch of replies here telling you how people think it should be done, while all the sparkies keep quiet knowing you're going to get it wrong anyway. It's too easy to balls it up in a way that it looks like it's working until some poor sap walks into your bar area when something out of your control goes wrong.

Finners, the diagram provided on the box is pretty self explanitary, IF you know what your doing electrically.

If you're asking these questions, then it would probably be best/safest to get a sparky to do it

meh... grounding is for wimps, and highly over-rated. ;)

I'll do plumbing, carpentry, mechanics, but ALWAYS leave electrical to those who do it for a living. Just too risky IMO. Have a look around the house and identify other little jobs requiring a sparky and get them out for 1/2 a day. Get a bit more value out of them and everything stays safe and come with a nice compliance certificate...
I envy those who have a sparky mate, as the currency of beer also works really well!

One mistake and its likely lights out, not just for your house.

Seems easy but when you are playing with 240V you wanna be triply sure

If a sparky could whip up a quick wiring diagram I would be forever in their debt :)

TempMate.jpg

TempMate-connects.jpg

"Notice:
1. The earth terminal of the controller should be connected with the earth terminal of the electric
cabinet reliably,be sure to connect the earth well.
"

Maybe the supplier could supply a wiring diagram similar to the one that mashmate sells, mashmates looks fool proof. It really does not matter how much people say "don't wire it yourself" thay are still going to try. I for one am guilty of it. (With a little help from a sparky freind)

BYB

Yep, if you cant 100% follow what is shown on the box dont do it.

its a fairly simple job and the wiring diagram gives you all the info you need. but as said if you cant figure out what your meant to be doing from whats there then you shouldnt be doing it yourself. make a friend with a sparky then pay them in beer.

I wire up lights, TV arial cables and but thats about it. Then again I paid a sparky to put in a spanking new switchboard with bells and whistles so I couldnt kill myself. As said just find a few jobs that need doing and get them to do it in one hit.

Maybe the supplier could supply a wiring diagram similar to the one that mashmate sells, mashmates looks fool proof. It really does not matter how much people say "don't wire it yourself" thay are still going to try. I for one am guilty of it. (With a little help from a sparky freind)

BYB

Hi BYB,

We do supply a wiring diagram with the unit, but it's basically the same as the one on the unit & couldn't be any simpler (much easier to wire than the fridgemate). As others have pointed out, if you don't fully understand the diagram, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

cheers Ross

If you feel a sudden jolt or the lights go out I think you have made a mistake & keep trying ;)

Cheers

Paul

1. Installation of 240V equipment should only be carried out by qualified people.
2. Just because it's on the net, doesn't mean it's right

3. USE AT OWN RISK!!!

tempmate.jpg

1. Installation of 240V equipment should only be carried out by qualified people.
2. Just because it's on the net, doesn't mean it's right

3. USE AT OWN RISK!!!

View attachment 21825

I wouldnt use that circuit diagram if you want the thing to work. Its not gunna kill ya, just wont work.
Those heat and cool terminals are switches, not outlets, therefore should be switching active only. They dont supply a neutral to the load.
All Neutrals (blues) should be commoned , just like the earth, but with a neutral connection to the power terminal.

Havent got time to draw you a diagram as I am trying to get away from work so I can go home and brew.
Im sure someone else wil back me up and draw a nice little picture for you.
I probably shouldnt have even got involved, but I couldnt help myself.

Disclaimer - I'm not a sparky

If this thing operates like a fridgemate then Gregor is spot on and the wiring won't work like that. You would need to run the active (brown) from the supply to the power, heat and cool screw terminals, then brown out of the heat and cool to the relevant equipment. Blue would also split with 1 going to the power and then 2 going to the heat and cool equipment. Earth is similar but to the ground terminal on the tempmate.

+1 on don't do it if you don't know what you're doing.

The diagram is very straight-forward if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then you may either break the box or worse, yourself.

Where in NSW are you? Maybe there is someone who lives nearby in the forums in the know who can assist?

Cheers - Fermented.

- Insert suitable risk statement -

AND YES GETTING ZAPPED IS NO FUN!

tempmate.jpg

Yep, Gregor was spot on..... <INSERT HUGE EMBARRASSMENT MOMENT>

Two lessons learned.. only qualified people should do this, mugs like me really shouldn't post things like this no matter how much we think we're helping.

I saved you the trouble of editing it, Gregor. I have no idea what I was thinking... *slaps own forehead and dons flamesuit*

Edit: Jye already did it.... but at least the original is correct also to save confusion in the future

Good work Jye.

Finners get a terminal block and chop it up into 3 lots of 3 terminals as this makes things a lot easier. You'll need to cut up 2 extension cords, or cut 1 ext into 3 equal pieces and wire up the middle piece to a female plug. From each of the lengths just chop off an extra piece around 5cm or so, remove the outer sheath and these can be used between the terminal blocks and tempmate.

Simple way connect each of the wires of the male ext cord to a terminal block, do the same for the others using a separate terminal block each time so you'll end up with 3 cables each with a terminal block. Now use the extra lengths you've already chopped to make the connection between the male and tempmate, male and female, tempmate and female.

Good on ya Jye.
Just got home, and couldnt help but checking if someone had corrected the circuit diagram.
Now I can go and keg a couple of brews without having to worry about drawing up a new diagram.

I must have missed this device when I recently bought my fridgemate (for my chest freezer kegerator). It looks like a very handy device with both heating and cooling (assuming it has an adjustable tolerance). I might have to get me one for my redundant kegerator and turn it into a fermenter fridge.

Latest posts

Back