Help Me Plan My Trip After Oktoberfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Aussie Josh,

Downloaded and watched the movie... Defently wasnt what i was expecting ( beer fest or something ) lol.. wasnt a bad flick tho..

Atlest it had a hot belgium girl in it and a beer present in nearly every scene lol... Deffently looking forward to checking the place out.. Might even be able to see the bell tower where he tommatoed infront of lol..

Cheers Vice

Brussles i thought was a bit shit. one of my least fav main land european citys and its full of people who dont have much Belgium in them if you know what i mean. i would be looking at traveling to some of the smaller towns in Belgium i think you might get more of an athentic insight in to there life style and historey eg (beer) in them. I have heard but have not been.......... that bruges is good! Watch the movie (In Bruges) to get you geard up for it! i thought it was a good movie to!
While I also haven't been to Bruges, and have heard that it is good, I'd disagree wholeheartedly on Brussels.
I had an awesome time there.
The beer is fantastic. Plenty of great bars with huge beer selections. I spent 4 days there and didn't drink the same beer twice.
The people I met in bars all seemed friendly enough.
Museums were good, food was good.
All in all, I just couldn't believe that it has a reputation, at least in England, for being boring.
Beer, chips and chocolate? Fantastic...
Any city that has Cantillon in it will do me :)

I deff will be heading to Brussels.. and Bruges whilst in Belgium.

Any other citys Guys ??? im still pretty clueless on anywhere to head to in Italy and Austria.. Prob only spend a day or two in Austria and maybey 2-3 in Italy depending on Accom aviliable.

Cheers guys..

I'd definitely head to Bamberg

I'll second that.

Try to stay in town like dreadhead says. There is a hostel out of town but it's PITA to get to on public transport and if you don't arrive at the right time, there's no one around to check you in. We ended up staying at a pub in town with accommodation upstairs.

No visit to Deutschland is complete without visiting Berlin. Not a "beertown", but some good brewpubs there.

In Austria, I recommend Vienna as a must-see destination. We went to Seibenstern (Sevenstars) brewpub there and I'd recommend that. Kufstein is a great city also.

WJ

Vicelore: If you're wanting to spend a bit of time tasting beers in around Munich and Bavaria and need a little local assistance, PM me. I know the ins-and-outs of the local breweries and can also suggest some others in the region. You can do cheap day-trips on the train to anywhere in Bavaria, including the wonderful Bamberg, and even across the border to Salzburg. I'm on holiday all September, but after that I'm available on weekends and could probably show you around. I'm heading to Bamberg with a mate just before Oktoberfest (17th Sept if anyone else is interested in a Bamberg brewery crawl!), but I'll have to go again in October anyway because I've got even more friends that want to go.

Ask Rukh how much he enjoyed his Bamberg tour... :)

Ask Rukh how much he enjoyed his Bamberg tour... :)

Pictures say a thousand words, although the quality of my pix might only say a few hundred words. Check out my "What's in the Glass (commercial)" posts for Bamberg- (other German beers are covered on earlier entries)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=396227

Kommandant - I see that you've got Gose, Eisbock and Rauchbier in the fridge. Nice selection!

Vicelore - Kommandant is a great tour guide.

Augustiner is the best beer in Munich. Make sure you visit that tent. Their brew house / restaurant (Augustiner Brustuben‎) near the Oktoberfest site is pretty good for food (its on Landsberger Strae/street).

Also in Munich try the beer at the little stall in the Viktualienmarkt which is near the centre of the city. Its a great place for a quiet beer and to sit and watch the people go by.

While in Munich, I also suggest you do a walking tour with Radius Tours. They have a great Prost! Beer & Food walking tour at night. They have an office at the main railway station. Not sure how booked up it will be though being Okoberfest time.

Salzburg is a great place for beer try the tour at Stiegl brewery. The Museum there is so so, but the tastings after are very good.

Nuremburg is also good try Hausbrauerei Altstadthof.

Berlin is definitely the party town though not too many good beers, but great nightclubs.

Latest posts

Back